2002 GTS (sub-500 mile) question

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been in search for a 2002 GTS and I have came across another prospect that I haven't had to deal with before. This particular GTS has under 500 miles on the odometer. Around 350 to be exact. It has been serviced since purchased new and only driven 2-3 times. My first question is about the servicing. What are the effects of no service in 4-5 years? No new oil bad? Are there any recalls for the 2002 that I need to be aware of? Anything I need to ask? The dealer is located over 1500 miles so no chance of inspecting it myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Matt

OP
OP
F

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is actually at Roanoke. Which is about 700 miles away. I don't know what I was thinking typing 1500 miles.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They say that oil should be changed every year regardless but with that few miles on it it should be fine. When you run the car it puts moisture and acids into the oil which is not good for the engine. I was looking at a 99 with 2000 miles on it and it was never serviced, I am kinda glad I passed on that one. I just bought an 01 with 995 miles on it and it is fine but I suspect it has been serviced atleast once or twice.

Any warranty left?

What color is it?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is one of the few dealers you are probably safe buying from sight unseen. :2tu:

If it is what you are looking for go for it. :drive:

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Technically I bought my car from Ronoake sight unseen. Good group to buy from. As for the car I would think it would be fine. I would check for moisture problems in the engine bay and check the tires. Other than that if the price is right jump on it.

Venum S 1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Funky I live 20 minutes from Roanoke if you want me to check it out PM me with your phone number. I have been there before but ended up buying my GTS out of Texas. They are nice but did not have the color combo I was looking for.

Warren S

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That motor isn't even broken in. I would be most concerned if the gas is still fresh. Had the previous owner added Sta-bil or a fuel injector cleaner in the tank every once in awhile? Old stale gas is not good. Ditto on the oil changes, coolant and brake fluid. Good luck with the buy.

OP
OP
F

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I can gather it was driven 2-3 times and no service was ever done. I'm a it concerned that I might have to replace tires to start and then get into some other issues. I am not sure it would be worth it. Hopefully there is some kind of warranty intact.

Matt

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I can gather it was driven 2-3 times and no service was ever done. I'm a it concerned that I might have to replace tires to start and then get into some other issues. I am not sure it would be worth it. Hopefully there is some kind of warranty intact.

Matt

My 2001 I just bought with 995 miles was fine. I was concerned at first like you but my concerns were unfounded. I am sure tires will be fine. I would grab this car before somebody else does. Maybe have them change all fluids as part of the deal.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI (and I'm not interested in buying the car but I had to find out the details), the asking price is $66,992 and I doubt if they budge - at least in the immediate future. I think the best one could hope for is a change of ALL fluids. The in-service date is January 2003 so the original warranty is expired but one could purchase a DC used car warranty (since it is a Dodge dealer). This might be something else to ask the dealer to 'throw in'.

Not a bad price for a car with this mileage considering other trusted Viper dealers would ask the same for a flawless sub 10,000 mile 02 GTS.

The only downside is that it's not Sapphire :D

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funky I live 20 minutes from Roanoke if you want me to check it out PM me with your phone number. I have been there before but ended up buying my GTS out of Texas. They are nice but did not have the color combo I was looking for.

where do you live at venum? i am in bartonville. do we know each other?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Guessing the possible build date...coolant should have been changed TWICE by now given that the OEM factory fill is"Mopar 3 year formula" ...AND that the service manual calls for change number one at 3 years, then every two years thereafter. This is an area REGULARLY neglected in Vipers...which can be a costly mistake !!! I would not be surprised to see an acidic reading on the coolant...and bet that the water valve is closed...and the heater core has been isolated from the cooling circuit.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good point - if the tires ARE original, be very careful driving the car. if it is a trailer queen, you might be ok, but if you plan on driving the car, replace the tires. old tires have bitten a few people around here.

Oh c'mon now. Let the guy go ripping out of the parking lot sideways and get a hands on feel for the condition of the tires! Put a little heat in 'em. They'll soften up!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI (and I'm not interested in buying the car but I had to find out the details), the asking price is $66,992 and I doubt if they budge - at least in the immediate future. I think the best one could hope for is a change of ALL fluids. The in-service date is January 2003 so the original warranty is expired but one could purchase a DC used car warranty (since it is a Dodge dealer). This might be something else to ask the dealer to 'throw in'.

Not a bad price for a car with this mileage considering other trusted Viper dealers would ask the same for a flawless sub 10,000 mile 02 GTS.

The only downside is that it's not Sapphire :D
Car has a 7/70 SO IT IS UNDER WARRANTY UNTIL 1/2010. :2tu:

Both Sappire and Graphite are the two best colors. I will agree the Sapphire has the edge but I may be a little biased also. ;) :lmao:

So, did you buy it yet funky? What are you waiting for? :drive:

OP
OP
F

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying. Weekend isn't helping anything and I have another that I am looking at.

It looks like most people suggest using Capital One Blank Check. Any other places people suggest for financing. I hear that there is a bank (or banker) that offers special financing for Viper purchases (anyone heard of this bank or banks).

Matt

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bernie at BJ motors has an incredible financing program for Vipers set up with a lender, that may be where you heard of one. I have no idea if he could hook you up if you are not buying from him but it's worth a phone call.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you own your home? Do a home equity and that way you can write off the interest you pay on it. :dunno:

OP
OP
F

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Hopefully, something will work out.

By the way, I do own my home, but the market here (like everywhere) has dipped and I am not sure I can get the equity I would want.

Matt