2003 Comp. Coupe

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a call from Kim at JR Thompson yesterday. Yeah!!!!!
I am going to get one of the first 25 Comp. Coupes! How many others who have ordered one have had a call? Let me hear from you.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT size="4">CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Lucky YOU!!!</FONT s> That's wonderful, I'm so happy for you, you deserve it. But I will admit, I am alot envious!!!! grrrrr!!
ENJOY!!!!!
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary Lashinsky:
Got a call from Kim at JR Thompson yesterday. Yeah!!!!!
I am going to get one of the first 25 Comp. Coupes! How many others who have ordered one have had a call? Let me hear from you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congratulations Gary.
Just got word from Kim that I'm in as well.
cool.gif

She said they'll be mailing a package in a couple of weeks.
I'm anxious to see what it says. Let's keep the post alive with any new info.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the congrats. I am happy to hear from all of you and especially the ones who will be getting the first run of Comp. Coupes. Lets try and keep this threat updated as Fred suggests so all can get a better understanding of the process and progress of this true Viper race car. . . .and thanks Laura for the kind comments.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich, better check rules for Grand Am next year. they are limiting displacement on all race cars, all groups and classes to 6 litres max. It looks like Viper Racing League and Speed Channel's GT racing series and maybe SCCA will accept this race car for competition. Check it out and let us know. Maybe
John Fernandez at PVO can answer this question for all of us who will be racing this new Viper in 2003.

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary:

Just heard from my father-in-law, Ben Madey, that he got TWO Comp. Coupes from the first run. The plan is to go back to professional racing (Speedvision World Challenge or Grand-Am) with Bobby Archer (and other drivers to be named later). It's just not feasible, from either an economic or competitive standpoint, to do it with just one car - a lesson we (ViperSpeed) learned in '98.

Now, comes the hard part, finding (a) the right series where the car will be competitive, and (b) sponsorship... Let us know if you have any ideas or leads.

Regards,
Rich Wesorick
ViperSpeed Racing

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary:

You're starting to see our dilemma - too much displacement for GA; no tire for WCGT... Still looking for a pro-racing home for the CC...

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Muzzy, De La O, and I received our calls from Kim. We are all in on the first series of Comp Coupes.

Several weeks ago I talked to John Fernandez and Herb Helbig about the racing venue for the Comp Coupe. This car is being made specifically for the Viper Racing League. John wants absolutely no modifications to the car allowed so that the race is purely a test of driving ability. It is being built as a club race car for the VCA, not a professional race car.

Rich, here's my think on using it in pro racing....Whether the car is accepted into a professional race series remains to be seen, and you can be sure it will be "dumbed down" so that it loses its competitive advantage over the other cars in the Grand Am Cup or the World Challenge Series. The SCCA will make sure that it loses to the Acuras, BMWs, etc. You'll have a lousy tire package, restrictors, weight penalties, etc. until your car is too slow to be competitive. What's the point??

I asked John if there was a chance of running the car in the GT class of the Grand Am series (as opposed to the Grand Am Cup series). He said the Comp Coupe would not be competitive with the Porsche GT3R or the BMW without spending alot more money on weight reduction. He said a competitive car in the GT class would cost around $250,000. Notice that many times the Porsches in the GT class are actually beating the GTS class cars such as the Viper GTSR, Saleen, Corvette, etc. The Comp Coupe will have no chance here.

So, back to the purpose it is being built. So we can have all 30 Comp Coupes on the starting grid in identical condition and configuration to race against each other in the VRL. Add the existing 25-30 GT-1 Vipers from the VRL and we can finally count on 30-40 car grids for every VRL race. Wouldn't it be grand to see a starting grid with 40 Vipers on it??

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, the only SCCA class that will allow an unlimited race car such as the Comp Coupe is Regionally in SPO or ITA. There are no restrictions in the regional events in this class where the Comp Coupe can race. It's pretty much an open class as I have been told. You cannot compete Nationally since this class is not offered on National SCCA races.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Gary, when I spoke of SCCA I was referring to the World Challenge Series.

Rick, make no doubt about it...the CC is being built for the VRL. That's been their story since day 1. If it manages to get homologated into some other series, that would be icing on the cake. Dodge is focused on winning a NASCAR championship before they chase a sports car championship again. Talk to John yourself. I'm sure he'll give you plenty of his time as the proud new owner of 2 CCs.

The problem with running in World Challenge is that they will dumb your Viper down until it is no longer competitive with the other cars, just like they did to you guys after you won the championship. That won't sell any Vipers and it won't attract Vipers to the series. That's the reason you see 30 Vipers racing in the VRL and only 3 Vipers (if you're lucky) in the World Challenge. We would all make the step over if it made any sense, but it clearly doesn't at this point in time.

Bring that puppy over to the VRL and let Bobby drive it against the rest of our CC's. At least we'll all be on equal footing and Bobby can show us how much we have to learn. For that matter, I understand brother Tommy will be driving the new CC at the VRL event in Mid-Ohio. I'd love to see the two Archer brothers doing battle in identical cars...so would the rest of the Viper nation.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Frank, Gary and Fred. Enjoy them in good health. Have any of you chosen your color combo yet?
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank:

I really can't comment on what John F. told you, but from the start, PVO has been interested in some form of pro-racing for the CC:
"Race series elgibility is said to be Speedvision World Challenge, Grand-Am GS Class and Viper Days." Check the archives, or the fancy literature from Dodge you may have gotten. Perhaps they have changed their tune though...

I'm surprised at your attitude regarding doing something with the car besides Viper Days. I'd be willing to bet that most people (except for the VD crowd) would rather see Bobby Archer on Speedvision (I'm sorry - SPEED channel) racing the Vette's, Porsches, Acuras, Audis, Bimmers, and Mustangs in WCGT with the CC than watch you race Phil and Muzzy in the VRL. And, which do you think will sell more Vipers or other DC cars? Anyways, if the CC can't be run competitively in WCGT or somewhere else, or if sponsorship doesn't materialize, then we won't be doing it. In that terribly unfortunate circumstance, we'll join you at Viperdays
smile.gif
I'd love to be one of 40 VRL cars lining up at the start, but you'll have to take it easy on me - I'm out of practice...

Rich

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank:

Nobody disputes that the CC is being built primarily for the VRL, and that is a beautiful thing.

I'm bored with trying to get you to see a bigger picture, although since you apparently have the "in" with PVO, maybe there is no big picture anymore. I'll be there to see the car on the track at Mid-Ohio...

Rich

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank/Rich,

The CC offers something for both, as the two different racing philosophies also do. I love NASCAR because you get to draw distinct lines and choose sides. But I love IROC because you make and even playing field. Which one is better? Neither, they are both great for what they offer.

I don't know who this next statement will favor but here it goes anyway. The CC was developed as a Club Racer, not as a world ******. The object is to get a lot of the "club racers" out running a race Viper rather than a street version. Where they conduct their racing is simply a matter of their own personal choice.

The easiest racing to build the CC for is when it is matched up with no other competitor, such at VRL, but that will not prevent it from running:

World Challenge
SCCA
Grand Am
Drag Racing
Open Road racing
& all the different club racing leagues around the country.

Now you two kiss and make up, and let's get ready to rumble!

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally! It's great to hear that the decision has been been made. Any others out willing to share wheather they have been contacted. Rick R? Bill B? Marshal D, Bad Asp?, Paul Mum?, Jerry D? Come on serve it up.

Can't wait to see the first ones roll down the line.

Congrats to Series 1 owners.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if deposits and applications are being accepted yet for the next group to be produced??? When is production expected to begin on those???
Thanks
Laura
devil.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will D/C be making more, so when us fine racers smash one up, we can get a new one without waiting?....ouch...I hope that doesn't occur, but what if?
Any clue on how many orders placed in round one and how many DC is making?

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK....I'm trying to contain myself...but it's hard. I too, got the call from Kim! I'm getting one of the CC's in the first run. I don't know who I can call (to tell) next. It's all that I've been able to talk about for 4 days.

Understanding both sides of the issue, I'll be racing in the VRL. That has always been my intention and I'll feel most comfortable there. I'd rather be wheel to wheel, against guys who have as much to lose [car wise] if they get overly frisky. I also feel that the VRL is the ulitmate true measure of driving skill, as opposed to car or restrictions.

It is truly an honor to be selected by Dodge to receive a CC. Now, I better stop typing before my head explodes with happiness.

Anyone have a great color scheme in mind?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laura, get your info in now. Russ, congrats, and KEEP talking about it! This is a very cool and unique car, so the more we hear about it the more the excitement will elevate.

VIPERESS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Laura, get your info in now. Russ, congrats, and KEEP talking about it! This is a very cool and unique car, so the more we hear about it the more the excitement will elevate.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Steve
smile.gif

bounce.gif
bounce.gif
bounce.gif

Halnasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick:
OK, so I know there are those who want to ask, but may be afraid/leary to: Is it safe to assume that if you have not been called by now (2-25-02; late p.m.) by "Kim", that you are NOT one of the lucky 25? And that you will likely be contacted down the road for this presumed "second series"?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I never heard from Kim, but called her. She said she had called me, but I didn't talk to her
confused.gif
confused.gif
Just to be sure, you might want to give her a call.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Rick! You are going to have to take that snake over to Mike Farmer (Ultra Shapes) in Rockford to have a look at it. Once he sees it he may trade in one of the Ferraris for a Comp Coupe.

OP
OP
G

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great to hear from many of you who have ordered and have been confirmed for a Comp Coupe, either the first run or second. Now a suggestion to those of you who will get one, call Skip and sign up for the Viper Days events this year to get track experience and time. If you have not been to a Viper Days event for a while, you need to go. The track time you will get will be invaluable!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang