2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 - Intake Valve Issue

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
After a long conversation with our friends at Dodge, I have some information that many SRT-10 owners will surely be interested in hearing.

During standard dyno testing, PVO engineers found that our SRT-10 engines built between mid January and early March (about 250-275 delivered SRT’s) were assembled with intake valves that did not receive the specified intake valve machining, resulting in a potential loss of about 25 horsepower. Have no fear as a Customer Satisfaction Program has already been initiated! In the meantime, it’s important for all to understand that this in no way affects the safety, durability or reliability of their SRT’s. Dodge will expedite servicing all affected vehicles as quickly as they we can. possible.

Don’t call anyone yet! As you are really the first to know (thanks to our website)! Customers will be notified by email within the next 48 hours with a follow up regular mail within the next week, so if you don’t get notification by Friday, your car is not affected! Then, within 30 days, Dodge’s Customer Assistance Center (run by a company Dodge is using called ISG) will contact affected owners to make specific arrangements to have their vehicles fixed (and with very special treatment!). The Customer Assistance Center will even assist customers in scheduling service appointments at their local dealer.

All of the affected owners will be offered a loaner vehicle, a complimentary fuel fill-up, they’ll even offer pick-up and delivery of their Snake to/from their local dealer…. AND each customer will be gifted a complimentary Mopar certificate in the amount of $300 – good toward the purchase of any Mopar parts and/or accessories – for their inconvenience (even if they decline to have their vehicle serviced!!!).

This will be a dealer serviceable procedure (no Arrow necessary), so it’s a couple of days maximum (each dealer obviously might vary the timeframe according to their schedule).

In the meantime, Dodge encourages owners of the affected Vipers to continue driving and enjoying their vehicles. (Heck, they’re still the most powerful Viper ever produced!!!!) Our Dodge friends can’t stress that point enough! They will service all affected vehicles as quickly as they can.

The bottom line? Viper owners are the most loyal, enthusiastic owners in the industry. Dodge has convinced me that they will make sure each and every vehicle is serviced as quickly as possible, with RED CARPET TREATMENT! Our satisfaction is absolutely their primary concern!

By the way, I’ve spilled the beans... Probably before your dealers even know about this… so please be patient. You’ll hear from Dodge in just a few days!

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe

Has Dodge revealed how they plan to fix the problem? Will they replace the heads or just try and replace the intake valves?

OP
OP
Joseph Houss

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Just a valve issue. Replace 'em and you're good to go!

Joe

Has Dodge revealed how they plan to fix the problem? Will they replace the heads or just try and replace the intake valves?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
MANY thanks, Joe...and to PVO for this "heads up". Taking ownership of this issue a "stand up" way to handle the "growing pains" associated with a new model...will wait to see if we get notified, but WON'T WORRY either way.

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info - My car falls into those build dates. Will do a dyno test tommorrow and report the outcome. If it
comes in low I will be looking forward to the e-mail from DC.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe...since my SRT has been sitting at the warehouse for a while is it fair to assume they will be replacing valves of completed but not shipped cars while they are still at CAAP? Also, how will I know if my car was repared before delivery?

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If only I can find a local dealer I can trust to remove the heads, replace the valves and put it back together like new. I appreciate their efforts to make things right, but I am skeptical on the capabilities of the local Viper techs. I don't want to be their first guinea pig. Sigh.

Frank

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking: If someone was to buy a 2003 SRT/10 from a dealer and was not an original certificate holder, how would they be taken care of? The information will not go to the person who originally held the certificate order I would hope. I also wonder if the non certificate holders who purchased a Viper will receive the book people were talking about earlier in the year?

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just checked my drivers side door information and it says my car was manufactured 2-03. I sure hope that my vehicle is not one of the affected units as I am at least a 2 hour drive away from any major Dodge dealerships. I guess this is my lot in life though--to purchase sports cars with horsepower issues. I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the 1999 SVT Cobra problems, but I was one of the unfortunate individuals who bought the new and improved Cobra only to find out it was slower than the previous generation cars. It took Ford over a year to sort things out and they finally put out a recall to replace the entire model years intake and exhaust to help correct the issue. It sure took them a while, but they eventually made good on the situation and gave all the owners a really nice Roots leather jacket with your vehicles VIN# embroidered on a patch inside the jacket--a nice touch. If there is an issue with these cars, I am glad Dodge is forthright out it and taking the initiative to keep the customers happy.

Mike Adams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is great that they look after it before others even know. This is how problems should be handled

Frank I wouldn't worry about replacing valves it is not like the viper is a super high tech engine. It is a basic push rod engine as seen for many years. Just proving the old theory their is no replacement for displacement. That's why loyal Viper owners love their cars, they are fast and basic. No need for more parts to break down or short circuit. Besides I am sure Chrysler will make sure only competent dealers do the work. Just like the way they handled the frame problems.

AGAIN way to go !!

Can't wait to get my new car

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is in J status and it appears this is the reason why it has not come my way sooner and remains at CAAP. All I can say is fix it before you(Dodge)send it . Thanks

don527

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would probably explain Sir Fang's low dyno numbers where he dynoed 418rwhp stock compared to others that have posted 440s to 450s.

It was hard to believe that Borla would have low balled his dyno numbers when baselining his car before the exhaust mod and then only gain a few hp over the 'average' stock dyno numbers we've been seeing.

It should be interesting to see the dyno numbers after the valve job plus the Borlas.

I'm very impressed with DC in this matter.

Don

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe states ENGINES built between Jan and March are involved. How does engine build date correlate w/ car build date? Could an engine have been manufactured weeks(therefore it has proper valves) before car build date? I suspect engines were being built as the cars were not due to the heat delay issue. Stating it another way, a car built in January could have an engine manufactured in Dec?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Joe. With quite a few cars at CAAP , it is good they will be fixed before they leave, but it is great to have the exact reason
instead of a myriad of rumors. Taking the reins on this issue is a credit to you , Joe, and Dodge is handling this in a responsible manner that should satisfy
a very particular owner. The rental car, gift cert., etc. is a good move by Dodge, to recognize the inconvenience, and amazingly they caught this situation
when relatively few cars were affected.

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am impressed at how Dodge is handling this issue, especially compared to the General's handling of the 2001 Z06 oil burning issue. It is, however, yet another reminder to NEVER buy the first year car. There is ALWAYS something and you usually have to pay over sticker to be a guinea pig to boot (I know most of you are certificate holders and paid sticker but this is a rarity in the hi-po car arena). Good luck to everyone inflicted.

Chad

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can you find out what date your engine was built? Someone mentioned a sticker on the door but does this give you the engine build date?

FASTRNU

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was one of those oil burning 2001 ZO6 owners. I agree that GM didn't handle the issue well. You had to go to them about the issue, then they basically made you prove you were burning oil by doing an "oil consumption test." As if anyone would get their jollies by faking this.

My ZO6 was burning a quart of Mobil 1 every 400 miles.

They finally bought mine back. I wasn't going to let them do a ring job on a new car. Ridiculous.

This intake valve issue fix is a lot less invasive than a ring job, so all should be well for you affected guys. Nice that Dodge is being proactive about this. That is good customer service.

One way GM did deal with the potential number of ring jobs was by revising their definition of "excessive oil consumption," Which was more than a quart used in 1500 miles, was to change it to more than a quart used every 1000 miles. With this change of definition they could refuse ring jobs to lots of Corvette owners.
Dave

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BADASP...IMHO I don't think this problem has anything to do with first year production issues. As I understand it, the valve supplier delivered non-spec valves and they were not discovered upon delivery. The valves were then used in the build process. It's probably more a QC issue than anything else.

BTW, Bill mentioned that the SRTs at CAAP would be fixed before delivery but will they advise those of us with cars in J status whether our engines were affected?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With Motors built for 7-8 weeks beginning Mid Jan, almost CERTAINLY any MDH-cars built before late Jan will be immune from this quirk; So will those built "After Discovery" a GOOD DATE TO LEARN, Joe..........

We also assume that all those so long held {CAAP Hold) in I or J status since the 'discovery' were indeed fixed at CAAP.

There is a toll-free number in the letter for further answers. Further mind-easing info, this was a final (secondary) machining of the valves, so that it was not even noticable to builder/installers. Not a huge goof, but a goof.
replacement parts to be ready in about a month.

But LOTS of Certificate-Holders-Who-Took-Delivery-Then-Sold will be getting Dear Jon letters. Lets hope they dont simply "Refuse Service" just to get the $300 MoPar Gift Certif.

My SRT was built in Sept 2002 and shipped in Jan, So my car is likley immune from THIS particular quirk. No Dear Jon For ME!

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points JonB...thanks for the input. I am currently waiting for my '03 and have been told that it is in D1 status(for the last two weeks)so it looks like mine will avoid the problems.

Clark

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay did the dyno today. The machine used was a Dyno Dynamics Australia: PH. First confession I know nothing about Dynos except the little that I have read here on this forum and whatever info I could figure out today at the shop. The operator told me these numbers were adjusted to reflect dynojet numbers. My car was built 2-03 so it would fall in the catagory of cars with this possible intake valve issue. With that in mind here was the number of the readings 434.7 rwhp. Did 5 tries first three were numbers with some other test and didn't know what they were for. I told the operator that I was looking for numbers like that of the dynojet. He understood what I was saying and the last two were both exactly the same. Now a summary of the five tries. The first one was in forth gear but the speed was too fast for proper readings so then they used third gear for the last four tries. Second try the rwhp was 418.6. , but it seemed that they were not happy how that went. Maybe an error in their technique? Third try he was checking the hp in a mode which considered the amount of cylinders the car had , however his machine could only test those of 4,6 and 8 cylinders. The machine was set in the 8 cylinder mode and the number was quite high 458.6 rwhp. Then the final two rounds which produce the exact numbers. I am giving this info so everyone can know how we went about getting these readings. Seeing that others got readings in the high forties and low fifties I think that my car might have the valve issue. Anyway I hope it does and that when it gets fixed my readings will be closer to that of others. Any input would be appreciated.
Ken

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given that my SRT went to J on March 7, I will be really freaked if I have to wait another month plus shipping time to get my car. You might as well just wait and send me a white 04. Someone please tell me the cars will ship sooner than another month so I can sleep tonight.

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In JonB's post, he said:

"Not a huge goof, but a goof.
replacement parts to be ready in about a month."

Does this mean that those who's cars are in the warehouse awaiting shipping must wait ANOTHER month to receive thier cars? Or-does that mean that those that already have thier cars will have to wait a month for replacement parts?

Tim

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't know for sure, but I am going to jump out on a logical limb and guess that the folks that will have somewhat of a wait will be those that already
have the cars. This is based on a couple of common sense thoughts ( rare for me, right? ) listed below:

1. The assembly line needs to stay busy, and therefore the back-up in the storage area needs to be corrected.
2. Dealers haven't actually been notified, and finalization and warranty procedures will take a little time , so fix what is waiting for shipment.
3. Most folks have been notified by their Dealer or VCA that their cars were 30-60 days out, and in many cases this time has already expired with the
recall.
4. Since appointments will need to be made, parts need to be shipped , etc. for those delivered/affected cars, and these are non controllable factors, it
only seems reasonable to fix what you can readily get your hands on ---i.e. , cars at the plant.
5. Pure Economics ---- much easier to fix the cars at CAAP first, as there will be no rental car, $300 gift cert., etc. to worry about with these cars.

I feel pretty safe that DC will be hammering away at getting all the cars at the plant up to speed and out into customers hands as soon as possible, so
hang in there and thankfully they caught this supplier issue.

Dead President

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike - I know that the valve replacement job is simple, I just wonder if the head will be lying on my trunk while the R & R is in process (An exaggeration to make a point). Every time you have surgery on the car, someone who cares about the car a whole lot less than you is working on it. Belt buckles cause paint scratches, obscure fasteners turn up missing, etc. etc.

Bill P. - With a 2-03 build date on my car and no recall notification from D-C where do I sit? Any chance my motor was built in December??

Can you get me a replacement SRT-10 and send my car to Andy?? A little odometer work and he'd never know.

Frank

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just received my email confirmation that I get to have this valve work done. I think Dodge handled this the best way it could, but it is a very disappointing problem on a car priced to compete with Porsche, BMW, Mercedes. This will be my car's third need for in-shop and unscheduled service since I took delivery in early Feb.

While replacing valves is not too big a deal, I do worry about doing it on a new car. There are issues such as brinnelling of the heads by the gaskets, whether the heads might need to be surfaced, and more. I have done this work myself and run into complications in what is otherwise a simple procedure. I also figure I might as well wait to find out if headers become available and if any porting services make sense, given the level of disassembly. So I plan to wait and see how it goes, as Dodge has given me a year to ge the car fixed and says to drive it as usual while waiting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang