2003 trans swap into 96 GTS, speed sensor question?

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,
I found a trans from a 2003 and want to put it in my TT GTS (It supposedly can handle 100lb-ft more torque). Pulled the original trans and found that the 2003 trans. does not have the port for the VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

Has anyone done this swap yet and solved this?

There is a casting mark on the 2003's case for it, but it has not been machined/tapped for the VSS.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
Dave.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, it will work but you just need to machine the casting right at the mark for the VSS. If you are thinking about the trans strength, you may want to just cryo your trans and upgrade the shift forks and NEVER worry about it again.

How is the TT anyhow?

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,
Have you actually done this? I was planning to do exactly what you suggest, but a Viper tech claimed that the tab in the trans that the sensor picks up doesnt exist in the 2003 trans. I don't know if I believe him yet or not.

Where is the speed sensor located on 2003's?

I was considering relocating the sensor to the driveshaft, I need to do some checking tonight on the original trans. If the tab in the original trans is 1:1 with the output shaft, then I may be able do this instead of having to machine the 2003 case. I'd rather not have to take the 2003 case apart unless I'm sure.

thanks a lot,
Dave.

Nothing new on the TT setup, blew the trans on my second shakedown pass last fall, and it's been sitting since then. I'm not happy with the split sec box -my injectors are too big and I can't pull enough fuel at idle without the stock PCM getting confused. It's making decent power, but anything over 8psi I get a little knock on pump gas- I originally thought I should be able to go higher than this before seeing knock. I'm looking for a new fuel management setup that actually controls the injectors, instead of the Map sensor offset strategy that split sec uses. Maybe AEM if they actually fixed their software probs.

The problem I have w/ AEM or any standalone is you lose OBD II and makes getting an inspection sticker harder.

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm told that you can fit the segment from the earlier trans to the Gen 3 trans, since it isn't in place on the later trans

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't we have a big discussion on cryo treatment and decided that cryo had no science behind it?

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did it with a late model trans and machined it. It has the trim ring behind the spot for it and the VSS works fine. I have not tried replacing the rear segment but that would make sense also. There are a lot more similarities between the two than differences.

The split sec box should not be giving you such a hard time. With the correction factors removed from the PCM it may be easier to tune. Call me on that when you have time.

Cryo treatment - I must have missed the thread on that. It most certainly works. We see it day after day from rotors and pads lasting 2x as long on fleet vehicles, to so many of the hardened trans parts and rear ends out there that no longer break. I was skeptical until I did the following. Take two bolts and send one in for cryo. Then tensil snap them with a torque wrench. The one you sent to cryo will have TWICE the torque required to break it. If it doesn't, your cryo shop did not do their job. Cryo rocks. Believe it.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW, I personally own a 2002 Viper GTS ACR that has an 03 tranny in it. Sure enough, my viper tech had to send a part out for machining, so that we could use the 03's in my 02. But I have at LEAST 5k on it, and I honestly cant feel any difference over the 02 (which I put about 20k miles on). But I do know its doable, my car is proof, and Tom Sessions is the Viper Tech who did it for me.

Jon

OP
OP
D

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2003 trans swap into 96 GTS, speed sensor question - no prob!!

Guys,
Popped the end case off of the 2003 trans popped it on my Bridgeport and machined it to fit the speed sensor from my older trans. You also have to swap the trigger wheel from the old trans onto the output shaft of the newer one.

Jason and others, thanks a lot for the tips- it was no prob at all.

thanks,
Dave.