2004 mamba vs 2008 coupe

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
been kind of keeping my eyes open for an exotic for the last couple of months--stuff seems to be getting very cheap--had been shopping around for an sl600 or sl55--even looked at a few e55s.
I owned an 04 mamba a couple of years ago and to be honest, while I loved the car--was not overly thrilled with the heat inside the car or the warranty dept of my local dodge.
Saw an ssg coupe and I really am loving the way that car looks. How much better is the 08 vs an 04--have read alot of good things. How about the jump from a vert to a coupe--big differences?
signed
former viper owner possibly coming back

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome back

As a first time Viper owner myself I can tell you that the 08 is an animal. It has a different drive train and computer over the Gen III models. Still has the same look except most GENIII's were verts except for 06 model. It is now at 600 HP and a stronger transmission.

Bruce

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08s did eliminate the crossover which is a major cause of the heat issue but I would think you would still want to do the exhaust and/or cats to eliminate it all together.

I have an 04 Mamba and did corsa and HF cats and the heat issue is gone!

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here; replaced OEM with Corsa; even in the Florida heat there is a big difference in heat disipitation.....I drove an 08 and personally do not see (in my case Paxton SCd) that much of a difference to justify an extra 30 thousand. Good thing about the 04s is that you still have about 3 years of warranty left(7yr/70,000) on the powertrain., Saw a White Mamba in this neck of the woods going for 48thousand with around 6 thousand miles. You did not specify if the Viper would be a daily driver....

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not daily driver---just for fun----that ssg is got me hot though!!!--oh-and I think I am leaning toward the coupe this go round.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art--I would not be surprised if that white one for sale was my old one---the one that blew black smoke upon startup for 45 seconds everytime-was told repeatedly by dodge that it was normal operation---even took it to doug one time who couldnt figure it out---talking about pulling your hair out!!

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive a 2006 E55 daily.... Hands down, the best car I've ever owned.. VERY fast(almost viper fast), but you can take the family out AND take it to work the next day... AWESOME CAR..

The Viper, not so much... Its for a "selfish" cruise here and there. Thats about it.. I've owned GenII's and GenIII's only. But HAVE driven an 08'... Feels the same as my 06' to me, it WILL get hot inside..

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with above...my daily driver is an 07 E63 AMG. 507 horse as a daily driver and I can pile the kids in it. My Vipers are track day toys or whenever I want to put on a car show going to get groceries.I am not sure I would drive a Viper as a daily driver...would have in my 20's but now I am heading to old guy status with these 3 kids LOL!

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah--i have obsessed long and hard over the e55s as well---some smokin deals out there on them. I just think most of them are on there way out of warranty, and could be quite costly if something major was to go wrong. Nice to hear from a viper guy how much you enjoy it--most people seem to love that car

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah--i have obsessed long and hard over the e55s as well---some smokin deals out there on them. I just think most of them are on there way out of warranty, and could be quite costly if something major was to go wrong. Nice to hear from a viper guy how much you enjoy it--most people seem to love that car

knock on wood... My car has been 100% trouble free. I ENJOY driving that car every single day.. I DID buy an extended warranty though, just in case.. A good warranty will cost you $2,500(MSRP $4k), but will cover everything.. VERY expensive cars to warranty.. Many companies offer watered down coverage, or just flat out NO coverage on AMG cars..

My car has 21k miles on it, and I will probably keep it until the wheels fall off. By the way resale value is looking :(:(

Ok, now back to VIpers:):)

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just traded my '04 for the '08. Cooler inside and a nastier exhaust note. Transmission shifts much quicker and smoother, power increase is noticeable. I love the looks and performance of mine. Definitely gets 100X more looks than my 04 did.
Buy one at a bargain while you can :)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having owned an 06 vert and now an 08 coupe I will politely disagree with some of the above comments from those above who are non 08 owners and are simply guessing that the exhaust will still have to be modded and the heat will still be there. Not true, it seems to be fixed by the redesign of the exhaust AND the hood vents.
The hood vents make as much difference as the exhaust in my opinion. The SRT engineers commented on that in one of their chats and said that they finally won the battle to put them where they needed to be and make them large enough to get rid of the heat under the hood.
You will love an 08 coupe. Especially in that color. People go nuts over it.

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks--the search is on---I am closing on a house in 30 days or so, and dont really want to extend my credit anymore than needed till we close, so unless an insane green cash price comes along--I will have to wait 4-6 weeks----the hunt is on--

2008 viper coupe---ssg-razor wheels-low miles-

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold the show for razor wheels, if you find the car you're lookin for, just go ahead and grab it, razor wheels can be had as new take-offs on the cheap. Not as polarizing as the H-spokes, but not as popular either. Whichever wheels your car comes with, you should be able to sell for the same if not more money than the razors. IMO of course

eBay Motors: OEM Factory Dodge VIPER SRT-10 18 19 inch Wheels Tires (item 170289622558 end time Jan-24-09 08:36:17 PST)

eBay Motors: LIGHTWEIGHT OEM Factory Dodge VIPER SRT-10 Wheels Rims (item 170264636154 end time Jan-19-09 08:48:39 PST)

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck on your SSG coupe search. They are beautiful cars!

Had an 04 Mamba, sold it and got an 08 vert in September. Interior is warm vs hot, clutch is much smoother, exhaust sounds better, and the extra torque and HP are indeed felt "seat of the pants".

I was infatuated with my Mamba (you never forget your first!). I'm in love with my '08.

Happy hunting and happy new home!

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We must all have good taste. I also have a MV Agusta F41000S and a Ducati 996, and had my 2004 convertible and now a 2008 coupe :2tu:

Hayabusa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 03 Busa, sold it in 05 to get the Aprilia 1000 Factory.

Aprilia is a hot Italian but I miss my Busa, it's a fantastic machine

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was used in the edmunds test?--how many miles were on it when you got it-??

I am struggling with this one-----went by mercedes today and looked at a couple of sl55s they had and thought to myself--this would be the smart choice--dont go with another viper--then I drove by domaini motors on the way into work and they had an 06 coupe--blue and white--not even my favorite color, and when I look at that car it just is such a head turner. I am really having a hard time with this one. I keep picturing in my head--ssg viper coupe-lowered a bit--black chrome wheels and emblems--black tint---like its calling to me. Then part of me is thinking--just grab another 04 vert and lower it an be happy--after seeing that guys silver one that he lowered--looked so sinister.

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
was used in the edmunds test?--how many miles were on it when you got it-??

I am struggling with this one-----went by mercedes today and looked at a couple of sl55s they had and thought to myself--this would be the smart choice--dont go with another viper--then I drove by domaini motors on the way into work and they had an 06 coupe--blue and white--not even my favorite color, and when I look at that car it just is such a head turner. I am really having a hard time with this one. I keep picturing in my head--ssg viper coupe-lowered a bit--black chrome wheels and emblems--black tint---like its calling to me. Then part of me is thinking--just grab another 04 vert and lower it an be happy--after seeing that guys silver one that he lowered--looked so sinister.

Has around 7000 miles. Car seems to be in great shape, but bought an extended warranty just in case.

Mercedes is cool, but not a brute sports car like the Viper. I like the Viper because it is a balls to the wall machine that doesn't make compromises on its purpose.

The major thing I didn't like about my 04 is it looked like a Honda S2000 from behind IMHO and in the coupe you don't make that mistake. The SSG at Palmers seems to be a great deal if that is the color for you and it looked nice when I saw it.

Hope this helps.
Steve

08viperviolet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good luck finding your new toy. I had an 06 and now 08 and 08 much better car and is cooler. I also drive my car everyday. I live in Florida and have no issues with heat from the car.

V

Venomiss

Greeeeeen. The Illinois president's cool car.
Here is his whole post:
http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/612866-its-here-its-scaring-neighbors.html

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

albinonile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is pretty cool looking--man--I did not like the ssg vert much until seeing this one---that has got me thinking----