2004 SRT-10 Recall

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a call from the Dodge Dealer mechanic.

He just got notified of a 2004 SRT-10 recall.

Something about the cams. Looks like it will require a fair amount of work to fix it. Apparently, if it isn't fixed, it can cause pretty catastrophic engine failure.

I'm taking my car in tomorrow to have it fixed.

I will be going through Viper withdrawal while it's away.

Good thing I just had my speed fix today at the track.

Kai

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cam...only one :) Probably the cam/chain gear bolt. I hope this is limited.

Actually, it is the cam sprockets, if I remember correctly.

Apparently, you've got to disassemble quite a few things to get to them.

I will post again tomorrow morning after my visit to the dealer when I have better information.

Kai

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard from two sources that timing sprockets have fallen off some of the SRT Vipers and Rams, with pretty serious consequences. :( I wonder if that’s the issue.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard from two sources that timing sprockets have fallen off some of the SRT Vipers and Rams, with pretty serious consequences. :( I wonder if that’s the issue.

I bet it is. One on a Ram was lost while driving from a Texas dealer to their home state. Another was "reported" as a cam bearing problem but, since they don't have cam bearings, further checking revealed a cam bolt issue. Yet another Ram broke while racing a Lightning. That was the saddest one for me to hear about.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My service guy said he is working on one right now. Found one cam sproket bolt loose! Fairly big job to fix. If the sproket lets loose major damage to engine. I bought the 04 because I thought they would have gotten it right by then. Wrong. I am disaspointed with Dodge. Cars affected are those built from 9-15-03 through 1-30 04. This is what I have been told so far.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropped my car off today to get fixed.

As Fred said, it is a cam sprocket bolt issue. Affects both Vipers and SRT Rams, September 03 to January 04. Bolt can come loose and mess things up. Apparently if it actually falls off, it can really mess things up.

All that is necessary to fix the problem is getting to the sprocket bolt and torquing it on tighter. That's assuming that the bolt isn't already loose, in which case the loose bolt will have caused damage to some of the parts, which will need replacement.

Problem is, getting to the cam sprocket bolt isn't easy. I saw the service bulletin. 33 pages long. Requires taking a lot of stuff off the engine.

Don't know when I'll get my Viper back. Already going through Viper withdrawal just thinking about having to drive the station wagon.

Kai

Blue Pilot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing happeded to a guy here in W. Palm Beach with his new Ram SRT. Cam bolt failed at 249 miles and trashed the engine. It is at Arrow for a rebuild right now.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IS it just my imagination or are there more recalls overall in the auto industry than in the last 5-8 years lets say? I am starting to lose faith. Dodge had a couple of recalls on their brand new Durango. Car had just came out and they were recalling. We know of the recalls on the 03 SRT-10 and now this! Also, if this recall affects cars all the way back to Sept 03, why are they just now alerting us? Does it really take that long for them to realize there is a problem? How many failures or damage might they have averted with more timely notification, to say nothing about the reduced aggravation for their customers? Dissapointing is an understatement as far as I am concerned.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't panic

Like with the 2003 valve event, only certain SRT-10 Viper and Ram motors are affected.

Apparently, an assembly stet of using LocTite on the cam sprocket attachment bolts was skipped during a fery specific time period.

Those vehicles in the suspect time period of engine build (repeat ENGINE BUILD DATES) will be affected /called / contacted and I'm sure Joe Houss or someone will post it very soon.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: "Ignition Faults" like bucking, cutting out, stuttering, stumbling, especially at higher RPMs. If this has happened to you PARK THE CAR OR TRUCK. Contact your dealer with your VIN # and have them check with D-C.

Sam Goldfarb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every DC product I own has recalls! 95 AWD Grand Caravan, 97 Grand Caravan, 97 Viper GTS, 97 Ram 3500 V10 4X4, 99 Chrysler LHS, 99 Stratus, 2000 GEM 825 (Electric car, yes DC builds them! Steering Rack Replaced!)Sold 2003 SRT-10 and didn't get the Ram SRT-10 I ordered, Dealer reneged! Some are serious, some are minor. A lot of "limited" problems are treated as TSBs, technical service bulletins. These may be serious but not widespread enough to warrant a recall. In general, if it is a safety issue, it must be recalled!

DC needs to start getting it right or sell it to the Japanese!! If we are all going to buy foreign we might as well go for quality! Don't misread me, I don't own any foreign cars, except my Daimler Chrysler stuff!

Just for fun, check some of your other vehicles for recalls and TSBs at ALLDATA
http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html#

Sam Goldfarb
Ohio VCA Secretary :eek:

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam: You are right on target. I have owned many cars that never saw a recall. Today, in America, we are now being asked to accept less in many area's, not just cars. We are given all kinds of reasons/excuses why things are as they are and told maybe we have unrealistic expectations. Mediocrity is now the standard. Well, the best way to answer that kind of rubbish is to not just complain, which may not get you anywhere, but vote with your dollars and send them somewhere else. I will not subsidize poor quality just because I love the Viper. Now the car has to go in for repair. More of my time wasted. Will the car get fixed right the first time? How good is the mechanic? I don,t know about the rest of you guys but I have grown tired of the mediocrity and excuses.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a check engine light come on Feb 12. The dealer checked the code and stated it was a bad sensor, not sure if they said crank or cam. It was replaced, and two days later the light returned for one day, and has been off since. The only symptom the car had was it has always taken two cranks to start. I called JonB and had him explain my MDH number, seems mine was the first car down the line 17 Sep 03. Are the Sep to Jan dates referenced above relative to engine assmebly dates or actual vehicle build line dates? I would think if my car was begun 17 Sep, the engine would have been weeks earlier. I would hate to frag an engine.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT TO WATCH FOR: "Ignition Faults" like bucking, cutting out, stuttering, stumbling, especially at higher RPMs. If this has happened to you PARK THE CAR OR TRUCK. Contact your dealer with your VIN # and have them check with D-C.

You may not notice much as one of the bolts eats up the timing cover. Until it breaks. Then you won't have to worry about parking the car/truck. It will park itself.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a check engine light come on Feb 12. The dealer checked the code and stated it was a bad sensor, not sure if they said crank or cam. It was replaced, and two days later the light returned for one day, and has been off since. The only symptom the car had was it has always taken two cranks to start. I called JonB and had him explain my MDH number, seems mine was the first car down the line 17 Sep 03. Are the Sep to Jan dates referenced above relative to engine assmebly dates or actual vehicle build line dates? I would think if my car was begun 17 Sep, the engine would have been weeks earlier. I would hate to frag an engine.

I would be worried if I were you. Sounds like you should call the dealer. I think that the dates referenced are the dates the vehicle rolled off the line, so your car should be in that time frame.

By the way, I'm liking your signature line (although I favor a Kahr MK40 myself.)

Kai

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The MK40 is a bit too small for my hands, my 27 is bad enough. Glock seems to have our department wrapped up. As for the car, I am certainly not happy about this, but as we all know &%#* happens. I am just glad to know about this now, and not when the engine decides to come apart.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2004 SRT-10 Recall

TacDoc: check with the dealer who sold you the car. He has a list of the affected serial numbers that he sold!

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, went to dealer this am and had my VIN checked. Nothing. I asked the service manager if that meant I was ok in driving the car, I was planning a 200 mile trip this am. The response was "I do not know what to tell you, I just found out about the issue yesterday.". I am now on hold while they try to contact their higher up and see if I can safely drive my car.

SRT 10 2004

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am just going to drive mine, **** it, if it blows, it blows, either have it redone and modified while its apart, or fix it, trade it and get a S55. The thing is the car will never be the same if it blows :(

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got a call from the mechanic this morning. Apparently, my car's engine has been damaged, and they have to replace some parts other than the offending bolt. More bad news is that the parts have to come from Detroit, won't be here until Tuesday.

Aaarrrgghh. Just when the weather here is getting really nice.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is a thought that *****, as I mentioned in my VIN thread. If D/C is not treating this as a recall, how do we reliably know if our motor is affected until it thrashes itself? I would much prefer to be able to find a recall database I could rely on.

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kai, did they indicate what kind of damage?

They told me, but I promptly forgot what it was. A broken/leaking seal of some sort. Not sure how that would be connected with a cam sprocket bolt being loose. Maybe it's completly unrelated and they just found it while they had the engine taken apart trying to get at the sprocket bolt. When I was skimming the service bulletin at the dealer, I did see that if the bolt was loose, there were several parts that needed to be inspected for damage and replaced if necessary. Can't remember what they were, or if the broken piece on my car was one of them. Sorry I'm so clueless, but it's been 20 years since I've worked on a car engine.

I'll know more on Monday or Tuesday when I talk to the mechanic again, as he promised to give me a call and an update. I will get the specifics from him and post them for you and other interested parties.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry to have provided all with an incomplete list. This is the exact list I was given by my dealership when I made inquiry about my car. Because my build date was 17 Sep and my VIN was not on the list I bugged the h*ll out of D/C unitl I got a call back from one of the PVO engineers this morning. I was told the dates 15Sep-1Jan were only a loose reference for chassis. The important info is when your engine was built. To my surprise a chassis moving down the line on any given day can receive a motor built before or after the chassis starts moving down the line. The engineer said they look at the build date of your motor before a Service Action notice is sent out. Hence the reason a general recall has not been issued. D/C can identify each specific motor and notify that specific owner.