2004 SRT-10 Recall

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: 2004 SRT-10 Recall

my build date is sept 5th 2003 @ 1500 hours is my viper in need of repair??

i called the dealer he has no idea about this repair.

please advise

vd..

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my build date is sept 5th 2003 @ 1500 hours is my viper in need of repair??

i called the dealer he has no idea about this repair.

please advise

vd..

Send me the last 8 of your vin # and the mileage.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Don't panic

Like with the 2003 valve event, only certain SRT-10 Viper and Ram motors are affected.

Apparently, an assembly stet of using LocTite on the cam sprocket attachment bolts was skipped during a fery specific time period.

Those vehicles in the suspect time period of engine build (repeat ENGINE BUILD DATES) will be affected /called / contacted and I'm sure Joe Houss or someone will post it very soon.

WHAT TO WATCH FOR: "Ignition Faults" like bucking, cutting out, stuttering, stumbling, especially at higher RPMs. If this has happened to you PARK THE CAR OR TRUCK. Contact your dealer with your VIN # and have them check with D-C.

BUMPED for Emphasis as posted earlier: ENGINE BUILD DATES are the key here, and D-C is determining which vins got which motors, installed with no Loctite on the Cam Sprocket Bolts during a suspect period.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1tony1

thanks for the offer but i called tators and spoke to the wizard he gave me some #'s to call and mine is not on the list.

what a worry that was, i feel for the brothers with problem.

vd..

OP
OP
Kai SRT10

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got my car back today!!!

Tightened and loctited the bolts, and replaced some seals.

All nicely shined and waxed by the dealer and looking good. New oil, ready to go.

Just in time for some beautiful weather, too.

:cool:

yahllib

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, Where do you guys get your information from? It sure wasn't from anyone at the plant. The cam sprocket might come loose and if it does it takes out the cam sensor and the engine will stop. But, if one bolt comes out and free falls, the engine will also stop. This problem did not show up at the plant, but from the field, unfortunately. The plant did everything possible to correct the problem and did so as fast as possible.

9 seconds

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is there room for a bolt to come completely out or will it begin eating into the timing chain cover and break? Just curious.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hello, Where do you guys get your information from? It sure wasn't from anyone at the plant. The cam sprocket might come loose and if it does it takes out the cam sensor and the engine will stop. But, if one bolt comes out and free falls, the engine will also stop.

Umm.... what about the timing chain the bolt can get caught in? The other things it might get stuck in? The pistons wacking the valves because the cam stopped spinning while the crank was still rotating...? Uh, its a little more devastating that you make it sound... STOP isnt a good word, DESTROYED is.

PS- Sorry if I took your message the wrong way, but it seemed you were making light of the situation by the way it was worded.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello, Where do you guys get your information from? It sure wasn't from anyone at the plant. The cam sprocket might come loose and if it does it takes out the cam sensor and the engine will stop. But, if one bolt comes out and free falls, the engine will also stop. This problem did not show up at the plant, but from the field, unfortunately. The plant did everything possible to correct the problem and did so as fast as possible.

Are you the guy that was supposed to keep the locktite tank full ? :laugh: