2005 SRT Rear Tires

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are the OEM 2005 SRT rear tires available from? Just rear tires, just OEM, please.

I see tirerack.com has Michelin Pilot Sport ZP listed as the OEM tire, was that OEM back originally or is that a "new" OEM (i.e., weren't these normally referred to in the past as PS2s?)? If "new", any problem with using them with the previous OEM fronts? Also, tirerack.com has them listed as on back order.

Maybe JonB can pipe up?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2's are the new OEM tires for the vipers. Pilots sport run flats came on the '03-'06 cars

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS2's are not run flats. I do not know if the run flats are still out there. Last I heard they were on back order. I would suggest just going with a set of PS's all the way around. I purchased a set for my Gen II RT/10. They are great tires. I believe far better than the PS1's. Which were OEM on my '01 RT/10. Jon B might have more info on the subject than I do. I actually bought my PS2's from him at a great price.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke with Michelin, and according to their system, the tires have been out for about 1.5 months, and will not be back available until the start of next month?!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ill pipe

Runflat Rears have been "out" for a LOT longer than that! Many months. No release date, and the 'clerk' you spoke to is clueless.

VCA NC Prez Slaughter: That Vendor you cite 1010 Tires, is NOT a VCA sponsor, and is asking $60 MORE PER TIRE than 2 VCA vendors on this very site of yours! Would you pay $120 more vs support VCA folk?! there, I piped up enuf!

THAT SAID: On a race-car-stiff Viper DO NOT EVER MIX or mis-match:

-Directional with non-directional
-Assymetrical with symetrical
-Runflat with Non Runflat
***the above per Michelin and Tire Mfrs...Mixing PS2 with Runflats violates ALL 3 RULES!!

this per me and others:

Dont mix 5+ year old used hard front,s with grippy new rears. = UNDERSTEER BIGTIME.

Please consider that 4 x PS2 are NOT a waste: will be a better ride, dramatic handling improvements, and safer than 8-year old runcraps. Even if you DID find 2 new rears, they would still have way more traction than the old fronts, and could ditch you. With all due respect, your 6k mile fronts are CRAP....

That Said: I have two customers who got fed up with ZPs and have full sets, low miles, traden in on PS2. They will sell reasonble enuf. None wants to sell just 2..... 4 or nothing.

Where are the OEM 2005 SRT rear tires available from? Just rear tires, just OEM, please.

I see tirerack.com has Michelin Pilot Sport ZP listed as the OEM tire, was that OEM back originally or is that a "new" OEM (i.e., weren't these normally referred to in the past as PS2s?)? If "new", any problem with using them with the previous OEM fronts? Also, tirerack.com has them listed as on back order.

Maybe JonB can pipe up?[/quote]

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all due respect, your 6k mile fronts are CRAP....

Thanks, glad I bought them from you?! :crazy2:

That Said: I have two customers who got fed up with ZPs and have full sets, low miles, traden in on PS2. They will sell reasonble enuf. None wants to sell just 2..... 4 or nothing.

I'd be interested if the price is right and the age is reasonable, you have these?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When you last bought tires from me, (THANKS) there was NO PS-2 in existance, and ZP was OE, and NEW. Now, at 6000 miles and 3-4 years old, it is time to consider new, but NOT a mismatch.

My customer in OK have the ZPs. The set has 1207 miles on them. 2006 Coupe, replaced July 2009. He has 2 Vipers...drove this the least.

He wants $600 + sh for all 4. Want Em? [Id like a 10% commission please $60, and I eat the credit card 2.5% for him]

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you last bought tires from me, (THANKS) there was NO PS-2 in existance, and ZP was OE, and NEW. Now, at 6000 miles and 3-4 years old, it is time to consider new, but NOT a mismatch.

My customer in OK have the ZPs. The set has 1207 miles on them. 2006 Coupe, replaced July 2009. He has 2 Vipers...drove this the least.

He wants $600 + sh for all 4. Want Em? [Id like a 10% commission please $60, and I eat the credit card 2.5% for him]

That's outrageous?! Damned Crabby Monday JonB?! I'll take them for free and you pay me a commission!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GET PS2's John!

Run craps are CRAP. :crazy2:

You have family :2tu: and I want to have a BEER with you in SLC! :beer:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another damn rich lawyer trying to save a buck!:)

I agree NEVER mix/match tires (take it from an old product liabilty lawyer who used to represent tire manufacturers0

And, I don't even know why Tirerack still shows the run flats--I tried to get some a year ago and they were 'back ordered"

I have a bit of a different view--I have run flats on 06 and PS2s on 09 Viper and 09 Caddy. Having had flat tires in Vipers I can put up with a little inferior performance--I like Rfs.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly. Not everyone here is driving on the track daily, just to work and on long trips!

right IMO there is nothing wrong with crusing around with old runflats as long as you are Aware of their weakness and drive the vehicle accordingly.
(but, what happens when a Zo6 pulles up next to you on an empty freeway and wants to play:):drive::))

The issuse is when someone that dosnt know any better picks up a used viper and just looks at the tread and says "YEE HAAA, let her Rip" assuming the steamroller looking tires have the grip to match the performance of the viper. wrong:nono:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Did these tires sell yet? I am interested in replacing the tires on my '04

Slaughter did buy these...... new tires all four SRT10 from $1429.

DO NOT MIS-MATCH TIRES: ie PS2+Runflat is treacherous .

DO NOT EVER MIX or mis-match:

-Directional with non-directional
-Assymetrical with symetrical
-Runflat with Non Runflat
***the above per Michelin and Tire Mfrs...Mixing PS2 with Runflats violates ALL 3 RULES!!

this per me and others:

Dont mix 5+ year old used hard front,s with grippy new rears. = UNDERSTEER BIGTIME.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery