2006 Coupe: Viper Slate Perl Boost Photos..

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we have some unfinished business Janni !! I mean lets face it, two years now, I have beaten you at the Auto-X for the Carolinas VCA and this year, you made it a hollow victory by claiming tire failure.

So lets finish this thing once and for all. I think its time you show me what you got on a real track? I have never ran at Putnam, but am more then happy to, and I think its been a REALLY long time since you strapped yourself to a race track. Whadda ya say Janni !!?? Rumor has it, you were something to be recon with on the track, before you put up the towel. Come back for one last round, and put this punk in his place :) **** you can even use your family comp coupe. I'd say thats a decent concession, no ? :2tu:

Courtney ? Whats this junk about Courtney? That woman calls me up I swear every time after one of the events and accuses me of taking something.. lol. 1st it was one of those timing devices, then it was not paying for a Friday run session (which I am not allowed to do anyways, because its for REAL racers, not posers like me). Nah, you can have courtney in your car... and as another concession, I'll take Henry.. he's that guy who won last year.. maybe you know him? :D

Jon

You're killin' me. My tire failure was in my VOLKSWAGEN - and yes, you were so gracious to offer to let me drive your car, but you understand how I don't feel comfortable doing that.

The problem with unhorsing Henry for Putnam is that he wouldn't end up with any "spare" events for the VRP points race. I couldn't do that to him. Besides, with his recent penchant for hitting small / medium size furry creatures, my trackside services have become more involved and time consuming. (and gross)

I love Putnam - it's a great track - safe, not too fast from a top speed perspective, good rythym track, good twisties, etc. Man, I just need to rent something for the weekend like the Neon and go tear it up some..... That way - no work / no prep for me and I can still be "Crew Chief extraordinaire"....

Stay tuned.

And congrats on that beautiful car.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we have some unfinished business Janni !! I mean lets face it, two years now, I have beaten you at the Auto-X for the Carolinas VCA and this year, you made it a hollow victory by claiming tire failure.

So lets finish this thing once and for all. I think its time you show me what you got on a real track? I have never ran at Putnam, but am more then happy to, and I think its been a REALLY long time since you strapped yourself to a race track. Whadda ya say Janni !!?? Rumor has it, you were something to be recon with on the track, before you put up the towel. Come back for one last round, and put this punk in his place :) **** you can even use your family comp coupe. I'd say thats a decent concession, no ? :2tu:

Courtney ? Whats this junk about Courtney? That woman calls me up I swear every time after one of the events and accuses me of taking something.. lol. 1st it was one of those timing devices, then it was not paying for a Friday run session (which I am not allowed to do anyways, because its for REAL racers, not posers like me). Nah, you can have courtney in your car... and as another concession, I'll take Henry.. he's that guy who won last year.. maybe you know him? :D

Jon

You're killin' me. My tire failure was in my VOLKSWAGEN - and yes, you were so gracious to offer to let me drive your car, but you understand how I don't feel comfortable doing that.

The problem with unhorsing Henry for Putnam is that he wouldn't end up with any "spare" events for the VRP points race. I couldn't do that to him. Besides, with his recent penchant for hitting small / medium size furry creatures, my trackside services have become more involved and time consuming. (and gross)

I love Putnam - it's a great track - safe, not too fast from a top speed perspective, good rythym track, good twisties, etc. Man, I just need to rent something for the weekend like the Neon and go tear it up some..... That way - no work / no prep for me and I can still be "Crew Chief extraordinaire"....

Stay tuned.

And congrats on that beautiful car.

Thanks Janni... You know I love competative banter, even if you have to come up with excuses ;-) Anyways, I was just thinking, Viper Days probably wont let me run with a SC without a roll bar right? :( I am not puttin one in this bad boy, so I might not even be able to get on track. Then I hear that the srt-10's are a bad idea for being on the track without a comp coupe oil pan, especially if you add boost to the equation. Is it THAT critical?, Do I really need to get one for track use?

Hell yeah, get a track prepped neon, I've seen plenty of them beat vipers, with the right drive, so in this case, I'll still win :)

Jon

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then I hear that the srt-10's are a bad idea for being on the track without a comp coupe oil pan, especially if you add boost to the equation. Is it THAT critical?
Jon

How well do you like your motor?

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try this in your 06 Coupe..

Find somewhere where you can do a left hand turn in a tight circle (like a skidpad), preferably one with an angle to it (like a parking lot on a hillside).

Now crank the steering wheel all the way to the left (and hold it) and go about 15mph and then gradually increase speed and watch your oil pressure, it will go down, the faster you go the more it will go down, make sure it never gets below your RPM / 100. That's the problem with the stock pan.

I tried this test in my 05 and when I drove in a right-hand circle, no problem, in a left-hand circle, oil pressure dropped noticeably.

That convinced me right then and there to get the CC oil pan.

-J

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well lets see Janni.. while my previous viper had an out of motor experience, I look forward to not having that occur again.

Yellow, I think I'm going to pass on that test, I would hate to intentionally test my motor at the expense of even the smallest damage. Also where did you get your pan? How much, and did you need to give up your stocker as a core?

Side note, with the boost, what kinda tires do people run on the street that get good traction? A srt10 stock can roast the tires in 1st and get loose in 2nd. So it would be nice with boost to increase traction ability.

Jon

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow, I think I'm going to pass on that test, I would hate to intentionally test my motor at the expense of even the smallest damage. Also where did you get your pan? How much, and did you need to give up your stocker as a core?

Bobby Archer (FortWorth) put it in for somewhere around $1900 and took my original as a core. Price included all labor etc.

(bobbyarchermotorsports.com)

If you check on the mopar site the part alone runs $1995 so I think Bobby cut me a good deal.

I'm sure John Archer can do it too (www.archerracing.com)

Plus, before I even did the test I had a number of people come up to me at different track events and warn me of "grenading" my motor and to upgrade the oil pan.

-J

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, well here are the last of the photos that WoodHouse took of my car, after tomorrow morning, I will be taking them all :) Delivery expected around 10 am Chicago Time.

45962006_06230001-med.JPG

45962006_06230002-med.JPG

45962006_06230003-med.JPG

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha. At ten central Ill be giving a Air Force speech in my Speech class in college while your driving ur new Viper. :)

Here's a funny one. I lied to myself and said "you'll sleep like a baby Jon, this is your 3rd new viper, you cant still get restless over a viper".... yeah I was wrong. Attempted to go to bed 2 hours ago, still up :(

Just goes to show, you never out grow or get used to the excitement that a Viper can bring.

Jon

MartinPorscheTT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big congrats, gorgeous car and color combo, and damm! You just got down to business and boosted it already LOL. Enjoy it in good health!

Martin

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sweet, I love these progressive threads with updates and pics. Well, it's 11:39am......is it there yet?

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need dyno info...please. I'd like to compare against my Woodhouse Paxton SRT Ram where dyno was done at the same place. Is the Paxton grin still on your face? :)

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you believe this? He's out driving instead of supplying us with feedback and pictures. LOL.

TOOOOOO TRUE (I think I have now fulfiled my requirement below)!!

Ok OK .. its been non stop Viper time, since its arrival. Here are the photos.. of its arrival, and just some of me doing a pump fake about putting it in the garage.. lol.. it was in the garage at most 1 hour, for lunch, rest of the day, hitting the streets of Chicago !! WITH BOOOOOOOOOOST..(but couldnt use it underload, as I am being very respectful to break in) Even took it to a local dodge dealership, and if clearing out AutoZone into the parking lot moments before wasnt enough, the Dodge dealership, employee after employee and customers all came out to see the monster, and all the mechanics wanted to hear the lovely S/C whine. Photos below:

What is that I see yawnder?
4596DSCN0206-med.JPG

Why its Santa !!!
4596DSCN0207-med.JPG

Whoops.. Make that Woodhouse !!
4596DSCN0208-med.JPG

Well, he was bearing gifts at least..
4596DSCN0210-med.JPG

4596DSCN0213-med.JPG

Take 'er out E-Z now big boy...
4596DSCN0216-med.JPG

Woaaah Horsey... you can stop here, I got it from here, no curbin' those bad-*** rims
4596DSCN0217-med.JPG

Ahhhhhh... the sweet smell of newness.. nothing like a ****** Viper....(for me to have my way with)
4596DSCN0219-med.JPG

Even Granny had some nice words to say like "Do you really need to park it in the street like that?"
4596DSCN0220-med.JPG

Just another photo..
4596DSCN0221-med.JPG

gotta love Chicago, we stack 'em deep in the City Suburbs..
4596DSCN0222-med.JPG

She fits.. how about I clean up my damn garage now.. She wasnt happy about that..
4596DSCN0224-med.JPG

Yeah, I turned off flash, and let the fluresents blurr the photo
4596DSCN0225-med.JPG

UH UH... WHATS THAT I HEAR... SHE'S CALLIN ME.. TIME TO DRIVE AGAIN !! LATER MY VIPER FAMILY...
4596DSCN0228-med.JPG

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Can't wait to see it next week.

And you will !! I'm definitely coming out to meet the IL Viper Family.

Hey me and Zengarage (Ron) and someone(s) else are getting together tonight just for a little Viper Leg stretching. Ron says we are heading up North. Are you in that area? Interested in getting up with us tonight?

Jon

PS. Thanks to all, on the compliments and kodos.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

Can't wait to see it next week.

And you will !! I'm definitely coming out to meet the IL Viper Family.

Hey me and Zengarage (Ron) and someone(s) else are getting together tonight just for a little Viper Leg stretching. Ron says we are heading up North. Are you in that area? Interested in getting up with us tonight?

Jon

PS. Thanks to all, on the compliments and kodos.

would have loved to. Unfort, it's my son's B-day party tonight, the Big 3. Everyone is stopping by for cake and presents. Next time for sure though.

Friday's there is a big car show in Rolling Meadows a few of us always show up up at as well.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Hey Jon,

Hope you really enjoy your new coupe. I'm looking forward to your impressions as you become more familiar with it and can compare pros and cons with the ACR you drove.

Have fun and be careful.

Larry

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Hey Jon,

Hope you really enjoy your new coupe. I'm looking forward to your impressions as you become more familiar with it and can compare pros and cons with the ACR you drove.

Have fun and be careful.

Larry

I was actually wondering if anyone cared, with me driving almost 60,000 miles on my old 2002 ACR and about 3k+ on an srt-10 convertible (already did that comparo), and now a few hundred on a SRT-10 coupe, I have noticed a few other uniquenesses to the srt-10 coupe over the others. But didnt know if a little write up was worthwhile to people, but while I am still becoming familiar with the new coupe, 2 quick ones:

1. Holy Fudge is the coupe more rigid then the srt-10 conv, and the srt-10 convert I felt was a nice step up over my ACR coupe, which I thought was the most alazingly solid and rigid car I had ever been in, up to that point.
2. I'm 5'7 and I noticed that the NEW coupe has noticably less view of people who are on your ***/1 car length behind you. This I dont like. For example I had a vette.. that I could NOT tell was a vette up my *** on the highway, because the coupes "duck tail" blocks that view. My GTS was MUCH better at letting you see what was close to your rear end. Needless to say, after I determined it was a silly vette, I rolled into my girl a little bit, and made short work of it. Then to my suprise, the vette pulled up to me, and gave me a thumbs up... it was a pretty cute blonde chick :)

Will do another post if anyone cares about differences. Want to get some AGRESSIVE driving under my belt before making comparisions( cant do until after break in), as thats how I normally drive my vipers, and with only 250 miles on the car (not bad in ONE day) I dont think I am qualified yet, to discuss the virtues of the Gen 3 coupe.

Jon

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

ok, i have a stupid question - does this supercharger work affect the cars factory warranty? what if something goes wrong with the car? will you be covered?

i really do not know, just asking and very curious. thanks.

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The car looks incredible, be sure to tell us how you like the SC when it is finally broken in. I am taking mine up to Doug Levin's for some Paxton love tomorrow ....

MartinPorscheTT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car is amazing, congrats again!! Question, i guess it doesnt matter but isnt it not recommended to go FI on a new car?!