2006 coupe won't spin tires just flooring it?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I am sooooo happy to hear that Dan is coming back into the game, thank you!

Many of us are .....no body can tune the OE computer like DC.

They tuned my 1100 hp, 1000 tq Paxton build with the OE computer on pump (91) gas. Passes the tail pipe emissions no problem in CA.

Dan

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are comparing your '06 to a C6 Z06, then it will always feel slow by comparison. The Z06 is a mid/low 11s car stock, 124-126 traps. The Gen 3 Viper is an 11.9-12.1 car, 119-121 traps. My '06 felt pathetic when stock. My '09 Z06 was much quicker stock.

Put it on a dyno. Expect 440-455 rwhp stock.

Ryan SRT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the first time i drove my viper i waited until i got in 2nd before i nailed it and in an instant i was looking at the highway out the driver's side window...

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score

??? This does not sound like even close to the same problem at all.

I never thought about it as being a problem, but after reading this thread I'm thinking my car does have this problem. After driving the car for a month now, I was thinking how over hyped other owners are about the power, and how you have to be so careful in it. It's fast, but not in an unsafe way I felt. I just installed a K&N intake the other day and that really cleaned up my low idle bucking while cruising. Going to flash the SCT today and see if the car tries to kill me when I put my foot down off the line :)

viperrt96

Enthusiast
Reaction score
??? This does not sound like even close to the same problem at all.

I bet these are more similar than you might think

In my case it’s a totally clogged cat. In this case I would be willing to bet it’s a partially clogged cat as yours could be too. Just give it time it will get there. I’m curious to see how this cars issue pans out – what the culprit is ? I’m going out on a limb here but I would be willing to bet catalytic failures on GenIII’s are more of an issue than GenI head gaskets ! :rolaugh: Anyway I’ll tell you why. The cat design on these is horrible! The first cat (upper) that is right off the exhaust manifold has a 3” inlet 2.5” outlet and all in a span of about 7”. You consider that pressure (Exhaust) at its greatest (collector) point going thru a restricted (2.5”) outlet in that small of a span (7”) – factor in the heat and no wonder they come apart clogging the lower. :hmmm:

chesapeake07

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In my case it’s a totally clogged cat. In this case I would be willing to bet it’s a partially clogged cat as yours could be too. Just give it time it will get there. I’m curious to see how this cars issue pans out – what the culprit is ? I’m going out on a limb here but I would be willing to bet catalytic failures on GenIII’s are more of an issue than GenI head gaskets ! :rolaugh: Anyway I’ll tell you why. The cat design on these is horrible! The first cat (upper) that is right off the exhaust manifold has a 3” inlet 2.5” outlet and all in a span of about 7”. You consider that pressure (Exhaust) at its greatest (collector) point going thru a restricted (2.5”) outlet in that small of a span (7”) – factor in the heat and no wonder they come apart clogging the lower. :hmmm:

I totally agree. Exactly what happened to me.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yup from what I see it seems it's just a matter of time before the cats clog up on these Gen3's. I already have a set of Roe HFC ready to go on, I'm just waiting to pick up an exhaust first. Going to flash that SCT and see how it runs, it sure didn't seem to have any troubles while beating on it at the track yesterday. So I'd be pretty skeptical about it being a cat at this point. I'd expect big power loss or poor running while it was on the track, hot, and under so much load like that, before I ever expected power loss right off the line.

OP
OP
C

Craigers15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had it in for a service, didn't find anything... Car has been running way better since using injector cleaner. Got Corsa cat back exhaust on the way to help with power and heat reduction in the cabin! Getting rid of that crossover. Trying to decide on which high flow cats to order and if I can get away with only one on each side. Not taking any chances with these stock cats plugging off

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was really Happy with the power in my 06 coupe off the line. Pulled really hard, Spun the tires off the line if you let it. Then we went to VOI9 in Vegas. Arrow racing installed Corsa Exhaust on the car at the track and tuned the car for the free flowing exhaust and I took it for a rip and the car was horrible on power. The power that pulled you into the seat was gone in first gear and it just was not the same car. I am going to put my stock exhaust back on as Mine was not a plugged cat as it was running perfect until the Corsa went on.

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just took my '06 (stock, run craps, with '08 cat back) out for a spin this morning after reading this. first gear pulled strong hitting the gas at 4-4,500 rpm made the back end dance

OP
OP
C

Craigers15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice, I'm completely satisfied with my car right now... running better everyday since the day I got it. I can't keep my backend straight anymore, which is how it should be. Even second gear a guy can get into trouble. Perfect! Hoping the exhaust change out is for the best, even if no noticeable power gains, heat reduction and a better sounding exhaust will be well worth it. JPUConn, you running OEM cats?

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JPUConn, you running OEM cats?

Yes OEM Cats - bone stock with exception of '08 cat back to eliminate the cross-over. I'm planning to run a 0-60 and quarter mile against a buddies '12 SRT8 Grand Cherokee and my fear is that he'll win just due to my lack of traction when the fun pedal is depressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang