2006 High Speed **FEEL** thoughts/comments

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently had a short opportunity on private land/road/track to do a couple fast runs in my 2006 Viper. I was curious of other options of the feel of the car on high speed runs.

I only did a couple of short blasts on level pavement up to 150mph and man....did it get up there fast. But I do notice that it seems to be comparably violent to what I remember in my 01 Z06. I am not complaining and I attribute this to either I am still getting used to the car or I have forgotten what it is like to drive at that speed since I last went to VIR in my Z06 or I am loosing my nerve as I get older (had some images of the car flipping in the air and my guts being strewn across the road flash into my mind during these blasts.) It was just a bit borderline scary.

Now, keep in mind I had my Z06 up to it's max of 176 mph for what could be considered extended periods several times years ago (again on private road/land/track) and for some reason I just do not remember feeling as it was so violent.

Just curious of other's feelings about this.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by "violent"? Is it shaking? Is the front lifting? What are the specific symptoms? What tires are you running? How many pounds of pressure? Stock suspension? Please provide more details. I have driven a stock '06 at Homestead on the 2.2 mile road course and I did not notice any problem. In fact it was exceptionally stable.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had my 06 at close to 160 on run flats and it was very stable/had my 08 close to 180 and very stable/are you running runflats?oh yaw i was on a private track

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By violent I guess I mean that it was just so aggressive feeling getting up to that point. I guess with all that, I probably wasn't paying too much attention to just how stable it really was. Thinking back, I think it was pretty stable. I am running everything 100% stock (car was bought new in Oct last year) I think tires are about 32 to 34psi? Is that right?

To explain further, when I went from my 2000 Corvette Coupe to my 2001 Z06, I felt that the Z06 was much more aggressive feeling than the '00. Well this car is just leaps beyond that and it was much more of a jump in that feeling too.

Just curious - with this setup, what can I expect the maximum top end to be and just how long would it take to get there on level surface? It seems that I reach 150 from a stop in what seemed like no time at all. I am curious how the vehicle will perform from that point up to maximum top end. I know in my 01 Z06 it would reach about 155 to 160 pretty quickly and from 160 to 176 it would take a bit.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what you are saying I can only guess but what you are experiencing may be the difference in the torque curve. The Viper is a torque monster and it takes awhile to get used to it. The experince is also heightened by the sound of the side exhausts. Top end should be as advertised. Just be careful with the gas pedal. Smooth and easy wins the race. The Viper does not like abrupt gas pedal input of any kind and a stock Viper can, under certain conditions, break the rear end loose from second to third and even from third to fourth if the tires are cold and the road surface is not dry and clean. I think 32 lbs sounds about right but others may disagree. Ther are prior posts and probably threads on the subject explaining what air pressure to use for what purpose.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both a Z06 and GTS and think something must be wrong as there is not that big of a difference between the two at speed IMHO.

Is the tire balance right on?

Any way you can do the same run in a friends Z06 for comparison.

Could be as simple as different road conditions or could be an issue that needs to be addresses with the Viper. :confused:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own both a Z06 and GTS and think something must be wrong as there is not that big of a difference between the two at speed IMHO.

Is the tire balance right on?

Any way you can do the same run in a friends Z06 for comparison.

Could be as simple as different road conditions or could be an issue that needs to be addresses with the Viper. :confused:

He has a Gen III. More power and run craps. He also has not noticed any vibration so I doubt that it is a tire balance issue.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Had my Street Serpent which does have a bit of a front splitter up to 150 (on a closed private track of course) and it was smooth as BUTTER. I do have the run flats, but I also have Motons which make this thing handle like its on rails. Slowed down to 130 and I could have taken a sip of diet coke. All this going ******* of course.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hard to be helpful with just feelings (no offense).

I've cruised my 04 at 165+ mph (Silver State) for many miles and it was exceedingly smooth and predictable at speed.

Tires (type, pressure) and alignment can cause issues if they are not right.

Throttle, steering and brake inputs need to be smooth at speed.

These cars are much more aggressive feeling than Vettes, so maybe that's all you felt. They pull very hard up high compared to most other cars.

Sounds like you just need to get out and drive it some more.

Dan

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove an '07 Z06 right after I drove my Paxton Viper. The Viper just feels more aggressive and faster. But the Z06 was just as fast, just felt tame. I think that's what you're trying to explain.

It's definately b/c of the torque differences in the cars, as stated earlier. The "feel" part of driving is simply the torque. Torque makes the car feel faster even though it may not be.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Viper X, I’ve driven my car for quite a few miles but at speeds approaching 165 MPH in numerous Silver State events. 165 MPH is the Silver State’s imposed “Tech Speed” limit based on my safety equipment but also happens to be my personal comfort limit. I think what you may be experiencing is the combination of factors that give a Viper its very visceral feel: exhaust noise, stiff suspension, stiff tires, very direct steering feedback – and as other have pointed out – so much torque that at these speeds the throttle remains very responsive with accompanying noise and acceleration changes: lots of sensory inputs. With the exception of one event when I was running too much negative camber (the car was darting all over the road above 120 ), it has always been very stable and has much more speed potential than I care to explore.
I add 4-5 psi for high speed driving events and suggest you check out TireRack’s “Air Pressure/Load Adjustment for High Speed Driving” web page at:

Tire Tech Information - Air Pressure/Load Adjustment for High Speed Driving

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great input. It helps alot. I think it is mostly I guess I just need to get more used to the car and "drive it more".

I will pay much more attention to some of the points that you all brought up - stability, vibration, etc and make sure that there is nothing that I am perhaps missing. Thinking back I think I think it did seem fairly stable at speed but I want to make sure too.

I am due to go to the SRT experience at VIR next month and I assume I might get some seat time on the track in one of Dodges Cars before I put my own Viper on the track there.

One point does bring up a question in my mind though. With my 01 Z06, I had the lifetime alignment deal through Firestone. They were always extremely flexible with me - letting me have the car aligned for the track and then put back again for street when I returned - never a question asked. They also let me watch and put the numbers "exactly" where I asked them to instead of putting them in a range. Not bad for a one time fee I think of about $139 - for 7 years worth of alignments. Now what is the story on aligning a Gen III Viper? I have been told by someone (can't remember who) that I should NEVER need to align the Viper but for some reason that doesn't sound right to me. I would at least like to have it checked but curious to know if there is some sort of special thing to aligning a Viper that would be different than that on my 01 Z06.

Also, I had my wheels road force balanced on a Hunter machine. Can I do the same with my Viper wheels?

Thanks again!

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an 06 Coupe after learning to drive track on a 06 ZO6. I think the Viper does seem faster and more aggressive with a better cockpit feel. If timed, they may be about equal depending on track, tires, and driver but my style of driving definetly prefers the viper. I have had the totally stock viper repeatedly at 150-160 and was impressed at how solid it felt.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as alignment goes, it doesn't hurt to at least get it checked out and verify if it needs one or not. Depending on the previous owner, did the car sit for long periods of time? If it was a garage queen it may need one because they tend to sag a bit from just sitting. I had to get one done to mine as it was sitting for a bit before I bought it, and it showed signs of sagging. I would take it in to a reputable Viper tech and get a full inspection done on the car because its better to be safe than sorry, especially taking it to high speeds.

OP
OP
MuscleJunkie

MuscleJunkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as alignment goes, it doesn't hurt to at least get it checked out and verify if it needs one or not. Depending on the previous owner, did the car sit for long periods of time? If it was a garage queen it may need one because they tend to sag a bit from just sitting. I had to get one done to mine as it was sitting for a bit before I bought it, and it showed signs of sagging. I would take it in to a reputable Viper tech and get a full inspection done on the car because its better to be safe than sorry, especially taking it to high speeds.

My car was bought new so no previous owner to worry about. I am still going to have the alignment checked. Are any speecial tools or procedures needed to properly align a Gen III Viper?

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Compared to my 2007 Porsche GT3, my 2008 Viper is MUCH rougher at speed. Louder, more vibration, more engine noise, more darty. The GT3 is almost anticlimactic at speed...basically effortless. The Viper is the opposite and requires your full attention.

Flash

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

If you Viper is darty at speed, it likely requires at least an alighnment and probably a "bump steer adjustment".

Dan

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldnt say it's darty just more darty than the 997/GT3. The GT3 feels like its driving on glass at speeds approaching 150 mph. In the Porsche, it seems that the faster you go, the more the car settles down and the quieter it gets. The Viper is the opposite. Neither is worse or better than the other, just different. I always get my alignment checked at tire change time which is about every 6 months at the current rate. :)

BTW, what is a "bump steer adjustment" is that a positive caster change or something else?

Flash

Last edited:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my Viper up to 190 mph about 3 months ago. Felt exactly like she felt at 130 mph. I have heard guys say Vipers get light in the rear and feels "unsure" at speeds around 160mph plus. I disagree. She was planted and sure.

I raced an 04 Z06 earlier this year. I was already walking him, but once I hit 140 I walked him like he was standing still, I could even say I "ran" him. My point is the Viper is still accelerating like a Ninja all the way to 185 mph or so due to her monstrous torque. Like Bobpantax said, that torque push may be what u r referring to as "violent".

Vipers are the only 4 wheeled vehicles that will reward you will that "violent' feeling!

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It could be the way your driving the car. The Viper takes a smooth hand because the steering is so direct. You have to grip the wheel lightly (I steer it at about 8 and 4, with my hands resting on my lap and using only my thumbs, index and middle fingers to finesse the wheel. You need to let the car move a little if it wants to, don't use the death grip.

I had my '06 coupe to a couple of mph over 180 (didn't seem to want much more) and it was stable as hell. Only mods are moton's. Stock run-craps. I would also take a look at your alignment and perhaps look into corner balancing (but you'll need adjustable ride height shocks to do that).

Lastly, I think my Viper is much more stable on top than my prior 996 p-car. That car was darty on top.

Portugee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know exactly how you feel. I had the same reaction to the Viper the first time going fast at freeway speeds (90-130mph). It feels darty and unstable. The first thing I did after that drive was call John over at partsrack to see how to fix it. I'm just quoting him but his number one recommendation was tires. The runflats ****. Way too hard and heavy.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you guys drive at speeds over 125mph
I would be very scared or maybe I wouldn't
160 or 180mph please tell me how it feels.
my fastest is 125mph

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Hey Bill,

Bump-steer is when the wheels move without input from the steering wheel. This is due to the suspension as it moves throughout its travel. To correct this issue in the Viper, your tech has to either lower or raise the rack and pinion up front and do the same to the rear inner tie rod positions.

Most Vipers have some "bump steer". Some are much worse than others. The good news is that it can be corrected, the bad news is that it's very time consuming and not cheap to have done.

I had West Coast Viper "bump steer" my 2004 SRT-10 a few years ago. It's now a one hand driver at almost any speed on almost any road, i.e. very stable. My 2006 SRTC is a hand full or should I say two hands full. The problem is felt most when driving over angled expansion joints at overpasses on our local freeway systems.

Dan

[/FONT]

Steve17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you guys drive at speeds over 125mph
I would be very scared or maybe I wouldn't
160 or 180mph please tell me how it feels.
my fastest is 125mph

An open track day at Pocono raceway. I clearly saw 155 on speedometer 1/2 way down back straight and was still pulling. No time to check after that. I think there is a NJ Viper Club day in mid Aug. An Instructor is a wise investment to make sure you are comfortable and safe at speed as the car could easily top those numbers with the right driver.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang