2006 SRT-10 Coupe Purchase Poll - Part Deux

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a follow up to Alice's post, here is an actual poll. Please respond only if you had serious plans to purchase the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe even after the announcement of the actual car (as outlined by Joe Houss).

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This survey might be premature for some. Joe’s info was good but we still don’t know about available colors. For some, color won’t matter. For others, available color will be a deciding factor. For example, I would never go with blue regardless of power.

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Respond only if you had serious plans to purchase the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe even after the announcement of the actual car (as outlined by Joe Houss)."

No need for question 5 as you have all ready stated only those who seriously intend to buy need to reply.

Option:5
I never had any interest in the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe and don't plan to order one.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One minor problem, I checked number 4 because it was a forced choice but I'm only dismayed by color choice, I want black or red. I'm not postponing a purchase due to any disatisfaction with styling or horsepower, I'm only waiting for more color choice. The blue white is beautiful but I guess I'm just imprinted with that color on the original classic.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee:

The only option in fall is the blue/white as far as we know; thus, the reason for the structure of the options.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be a poll asking why people WON'T be buying the coupe.

a. Styling
b. Horsepower
c. No dry sump
d. Too heavy
e. Too tall
f. Too many reason

OP
OP
Y

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Respond only if you had serious plans to purchase the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe even after the announcement of the actual car (as outlined by Joe Houss)."

No need for question 5 as you have all ready stated only those who seriously intend to buy need to reply.

Option:5
I never had any interest in the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe and don't plan to order one.

I don't disagree with your point at all. I simply read the poll and tried to decide how I would answer it. Overlooking the opening statement, I chose to add Question #5. My bad, not Alice's. While it skews the percentages, it doesn't take away from the breakdown of the previous four questions. Sorry about that!

And Warfang, your poll might actually be very interesting. However now that I have already opened one can of worms, I shall refrain from opening a second helping... ;)

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chris - No worries on my part as to the poll and the questioning. I was just trying to be helpful in gathering usable data. My thought on polls is that it gives an idication on what makes people tick (as in ref. to the Viper) and this can be helpful for future changes.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's too...Dang SMALL on the interior.
REAL people don't fit!
PBR
10 of 50

I'm curious Paul. Looks like you have an srt10. Is the coupe's interior SMALLER? They look the same to me other than that color scheme.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang
The top on the Coupe limits headroom. No way to track this car with a helmet on, as my head is already in constant contact with the roof! Lower the seat 2" (kit already available) and remove the interior liner...and you still can't see out the windscreen!

PBR
10 of 50

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warfang
The top on the Coupe limits headroom. No way to track this car with a helmet on, as my head is already in constant contact with the roof! Lower the seat 2" (kit already available) and remove the interior liner...and you still can't see out the windscreen!

PBR
10 of 50

Thanks for clarifying. We atmospheric-challenged people don't have the same problem, but I feel your pain. I thought maybe you were referring to the width.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
12.50%
I am very pleased with the Coupe and will purchase one in Fall, 2005. (9 votes)

8.33%
I am somewhat disappointed but still plan on purchasing the Coupe in Fall, 2005. (6 votes)

18.06%
I am very disappointed and am considering canceling my plans to purchase the Coupe in Fall, 2005. (13 votes)

15.28%
I had firm plans to purchase but have now canceled these plans to purchase a 2006 SRT-10 Coupe. (11 votes)

45.83%
I never had any interest in the 2006 SRT-10 Coupe and don't plan to order one. (33 votes)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alice said......

"Lee:

The only option in fall is the blue/white as far as we know; thus, the reason for the structure of the options."

With all due respect, what part of my post caused you to discern that I did not know what the color choice was? My comment was directed to a flaw in the poll that does not allow you to say that you love the car but you want a different color....And what the heck does "thus the structure of the options mean" The color options? The poll options? Jeez, I THINK you meant the poll options, now read it again and understand that it is a forced choice poll that does not allow for...."I love the car but I'll wait for a different color"......Wait, I understand, you had a red car for what, two months months and traded for black, now I understand why you did NOT understand. By the way, I loved your article in the magazine. Seriously.

Bad Car

Viper Owner
Reaction score
should add a question to your poll. You limit your self to 2005.

Question: I would purchase a new srt-coupe in the future.

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't have time to read all the comments, so this may have been mentioned.
I DO NOT like the new coupe. I don't understand why DC doesn't make a street version of the Comp Coupe!!!! That Comp Coupe has got to be one of the hottest cars around. Push the power to 600 and add lights, put in an interior with some other goodies to make it street legal. Bingo! You have a winner!
Now what's so hard about that??

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can't be done, I wish it could and would be first on the list to buy, the body is not streetable. Rear lights are not legal, tail end of the car too low and long to go up even a slight incline without dragging, whole car is too low for legal street compliance.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the car in fact i love it. it just needs more HP! if DC going with 500hp :( im not caling Bill i guess

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mechanically, the car is fabulous, but could use an additional 30-50 hp. Styling is still my biggest peeve on the SRT - it's too edgy. Throw away the triangles and get out the french curves. My GTS may be slower, but it still looks like a million bucks!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The GTS is a classic design, because it borrows artistic cues of proportion and emotion from the great cars of the past. It doesn't look dated, anymore than it did in 1996. By some reckoning, it was already "dated" in 1996, because it borrows heavily from the Daytona Coupe of 1963 (or 1964?) And the Daytona Coupe has the same proportions and charm as the Ferrari 250GTO of that era. Long hood, short tail, its almost a cosmic constant of good looking sports cars. Even the coming Ford GR1 uses those same elements, and that car isn't even out yet. If classic elements are the criteria for determining when a design is dated, then the GR1 is dated already. If you put the Ferrari, Daytona, and the GTS side by side, the similarity is obvious. Throw in the 1968 Stingray for good measure. Timeless designs never die, they just keep getting warmed over. These are some of the reasons why the GTS will always be a classic.

But the SRT went for another look, and lost some of the Viper'esque charm and thrill. The Gen3 is an ok design by itself, and compared to everyday cars, it looks pretty cool. But it lacks the personality that we came to know from the Gen1+2s.

The new coupe is an ok design, but I probably will try something else next time.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything Dean said.

Additionally, as long as it has a big cube V10 and continues to whoop everything under 200K I won't beetch much about the looks.

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<The GTS is a classic design, because it borrows artistic cues of proportion and emotion from the great cars of the past>

-the interior is especially dated

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<The GTS is a classic design, because it borrows artistic cues of proportion and emotion from the great cars of the past>

-the interior is especially dated

I prefer to think of it as a vast expanse of cheap plastic. Now we all know "cheap" is a timeless and classic financial demon, therefore the interior is classic. :) :2tu:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Let's see, where do I start????

1) Not enough horsepower increase to stay on top of class, must mod engine, lose warranty.
2) Poor diff durability, hydro-lok must go.
3) Roll bar installation is needed to run the higher speed events, [******] pit too small for this (side bar install required for drags).
4) Head room limited. I met the SRT group and they're all "little guys" physically, so I understand the limited head room and narrow seat design, I just don't like it.
5) Oiling problems on "track ready car", oiling system should be dry sump or at least Accusump.
6) Trans gear ratios with 3.07, 1st gear too high., 6th gear not really usable, cogs too small for racing / durability / drive ability.
7) E-brake doesn't allow 18-inch wheels on rear, must be relocated to run track tires / drag tires.
8) Side exhaust noisy and very hot, should have 3-inch pipes from factory and should exit rear.
9) Car needs better cockpit insulation from excessive heat.
10) Factory shocks / springs could be better. Bump steer is evident in every SRT-10 I've ridden in. Car sits too high in rear and needs adjustable shocks.
11) Coefficient of drag too high when compared with Corvette, E-55 (yes a 4 door sedan) and most other cars.
12) Car too heavy. Needs to go on a diet.
13) Where are the 6 / 5 points? There's barely room for them (Yes, I installed them in mine). And one side of the seat belts (buckle) is attached to the seat while the bolt sits in the frame, un-used. Who thought of this?
14) Crank case ventilation could be better. This is fairly cheap to do. Oil in your intake isn't fun.

After all of the above, I love my SRT-10, I just wouldn't buy another SRT-10 until some changes are made. I have addressed or will address all of the above issues with my 04, but I really shouldn't have had to. These SRT guys know how most of us will drive this car. I was planning to buy a new Coupe for my wife, but bought her a 2001 GTS ACR instead. Blue and white are her favorite colors, so color is not an issue. The "bugs" and solutions have been largely developed for the GTS, so thats where we decided to go.

Hopefully, someone is reading this.

GTS103

Enthusiast
Reaction score
needs more than 500 hp.. or will consider another brand with more bells and whistles..

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I intend to buy one, although I wish it had more horsepower. I like the changes in styling from the convertible, and the blue with white stripes will be a striking color combo. I also feel Dodge should be applauded for the changes they made in design after the introduction of the concept at the VOI. I bought my 2003 in the middle of the model year with no coupon. I am not going to rush to be first for this car and over pay. I think these cars will sell near invoice relatively soon after the release, because of the 500 HP engine.

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper X nailed it in his comprehensive list. I'd just reiterate the main problem: not enough HP. Can't DC learn from the Corvette Z-06 intro in 01 that raising HP the next year just pizzes the krappola out of those who sprung for the new model? (That's what DC is hinting about doing.) Put the HP in now, and people will flock to the dealers to pay MSRP; release it at 500hp, and next year there will still be hundreds of 06's sitting on lots and in the inventory.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang