2008 Convertible Top cosmetic issues - only me? (Pictures)

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello, I just received my 2008. (I upgraded from a viper red 2006 conv. with 10-spoke wheels).

Unfortunately the craftsmanship of my convertible top assembly leaves a lot to be desired. My 2006 was "perfect", but my 2008 shows a few cosmetic flaws.

It's probably best to let the pictures speak for themselves, but for those who don't see the problems:
-Driver side has 3 bolt (or rivet?) heads showing through the canvas and one sharp edge showing through the canvas 4" above the 3 bolts. Neither the bolts or edge show through on the passenger side.
-The canvas near the windshield of the passenger side is not fully streched out and is weavy (bulges).

Am I just being way too picky? I would expect a 90.4k car not to have defects that show on 10' distance. (When you know the defects, they show even from "far" away as you can se in the whole car picture.)

Comments please!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Peter

Attachments

• top_left.jpg
    top_left.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 201
  • top_right.jpg
    top_right.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 2008viper1.jpg
    2008viper1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 200

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the good news is that it does function properly....However, if you are not happy then i would go to the dealer and demand a whole new top....Problem is when u go to the dealer they might try to push and bend the top to fix it......mine did not latch properly so i made the mistake of taking it to my local dealer who basically just bent the top so it latches ok but it still comes down on the door and i don't think the dealer ever appreciated how hard it was to latch in the first place......it has also malformed some of the rubber on the door...my dealer doesn't see the big deal but i think the whole top needs replacing and the rubber on the door replacing... i can live without the paint that has been rubbed off..

Woodhouse is gonna take a look at mine

ALSO another issue on mine was the rubber stripping around the windshield on the outside of the car was just not installed correctly on the passenger side... the dealer is going to have a glass company replace that....I also had the computer shutdown which was fixed (flashed)...Otherwise i am delighted with the car BUT the soft top issue has been the most depressing for me.....

I also feel like you about worrying that i am being to picky but i think we both deserve these problems fixed with at least new tops

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, mine also has the problem that it comes down on the passenger rear quarter panel and & door, but I was fortunate to discover it right away before it did any damage to the paint. From what I've seen so far it's more of an annoyance than a problem. I just need to remember to stand on the passenger side when rasing the top and make sure that the edge falls into the groove and doesn't stay on the top of the side/door...

I could not live with paint rubbed off.. That would drive me insane :eek:

Do you have any of the cosmetic issues that are bugging me (visible bolt heads, weavy canvas)?

I'm definitely going to have them take a few pictures of the top for warranty purposes...

Peter

Last edited:

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IT IS very interesting since i posted this issue with the top coming down on the drivers side door that at least 3 other people have come forward with the same issue

otherwise i have no cosmetic issues with my top

good luck and beautiful car...and u must be single with a clean garage like that