SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2008 Dodge Viper *DELETED*

Post deleted by Lee00blacksilverGTS

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stability control (With traction control being a part of that) may be a reqirement in 2009.

But the rule will also allow the manufacturer to install "disable" ability - if they so choose.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site/nht...FDB!-1096197876

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/ESC_NPRM.pdf

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Rulemaking/Rules/Associated%20Files/ESC_PRIA.pdf

Federal regulators proposed that all passenger vehicles sold in the U.S. come equipped with stability control systems designed to prevent rollover accidents, which kill more than 10,000 people each year.

The proposed rule promises "the greatest lifesaving improvement since the safety belt," said Nicole Nason, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Under the rule, which must undergo a 60-day comment period before it becomes final, electronic stability control systems would be required equipment on virtually all new cars, pickups and sport utility vehicles starting with the 2009 model year.

Stability control, developed by Mercedes-Benz of Germany in the mid-1990s, is already available on a wide variety of vehicles sold in the U.S. The technology is standard equipment on 42% of 2006 model vehicles, according to the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, including 70% of sport utility vehicles. SUVs, in part because of their high centers of gravity, are especially prone to rollover accidents.

Ford Motor Co. said this week that stability control would be a standard feature on all its cars and trucks by the 2009 model year. The automaker already offers the systems as standard equipment on all its full- and mid-size SUVs.

General Motors Corp., the world's biggest automaker, has said it would have stability control on all its vehicles by 2010. Toyota Motor Corp. of Japan, the No. 2 carmaker, plans to have the systems on all models by 2009.

"This is something everyone can agree on," Ford spokesman Dan Jarvis said.

Stability control uses computers to sense when a driver is losing control. Working in conjunction with anti-lock brakes, the system applies braking power to individual wheels to bring the vehicle under control and keep it on the road. Some systems also automatically reduce the amount of power being delivered by the engine.

"It's almost as if someone is grabbing hold of the car and pulling it back into line," said Champion, who has been road-testing stability control systems since the late 1990s.

Proponents note that collision avoidance systems don't require any special skill or knowledge on the part of the driver to work properly.

"It's like an automatic pilot that kicks in when you need it," said Russ Rader, a spokesman for the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. "All you have to do is continue to steer."

Most of the 100 or so models that currently feature stability control as standard equipment are higher-priced SUVs or cars made by Lexus, BMW and other brands. Making the systems required equipment means they will filter down to smaller economy cars, where they will benefit the younger drivers who need them most, Champion said.

How the systems will affect sticker prices is unclear. The traffic safety administration estimates that stability control and its required anti-lock braking system cost slightly less than $500 per vehicle.

However, according to pricing data gathered by Edmunds.com, stability control systems currently cost $500 to $1,000 when offered as optional equipment. And in some cases, cheaper versions such as the $300 system offered on the Kia Optima don't include anti-lock brakes, which cost an additional $795.

"With stability control being required on all cars, there should be a lowering of the cost," said Karl Brauer, editor in chief of Edmunds in Santa Monica.

In a recent survey, market research firm J.D. Power & Associates found that almost two-thirds of respondents said they would pay $400 to add stability control to a new vehicle.

Brauer notes that stability control isn't universally loved. Some "high-performance" drivers resent the loss of command they have over their vehicle, he said, adding that "some of the systems can be very intrusive."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I have to say with regards to all that is the word "proposed" in the first sentence. It is not something actually passed yet. If GM and Ford want to implement extra nannytech on all their cars then so be it.

My 1999 C5 has TC and I so far have not felt it had enough power to worry about it on dry roads. When roads are wet, I still leave it off because common sense tells me to ease off the gas in the first place. Having it on does not make me feel any safer in corners or on the highway in the rain. It is a great add on feature to lure new car buyers that don't understand the physics involved. The sad thing is that it is being sold as a safety feature when really it is a false sense of security that can not replace safe driving habits.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All Traction Control can do is cut the ignition to reduce power to stop the tires from spinning. On the other hand, if it’s active stability control, then it can apply brake to any of the 4 tires to hold the car in balance which is good as the driver will never be able to apply independent brake pressure to any of the 4 tires.

However, no traction control or active stability control can overcome the rules of physics and dumbness of inexperienced drivers.

I would rather get a longer wheelbase SRT-10 (like the comp coupe) then traction control to prevent notorious spins of the SRT-10’s.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REGARDING THE PICTURE OF THE TOTALED ZO6.. After looking at it for a few shocked minutes I was pretty inmpressed by the INWARD impact on the windshield. SOMETHING, I hope a deer did this. I really hope it was not a person who flew into the front of the car bounced up and on the hood and then over the hood and went in through the windshield. But sadly that is what it looks like. I think we should remove the picture until we find out what made the windshield crush INWARD.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
“The hood, roof, deck lid, and several other panels are made from carbon fiber, reducing the car’s weight by a reported 85 pounds.

In addition, McLaren Performance Technologies has done its magic on the Viper’s 8.3-litre Hemi V10 engine, raising its output to 615 – 650 HP. Zero to sixty time is estimated to be just 3.5 seconds.”

:needpics: :needpics:

GEN3_5_Viper-2.jpg

GEN3_5_Viper-1.jpg

GEN3_5_Viper-4.jpg

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I knew I had the picture of the GEN3.5 Viper Engine somewhere.

EDIT: Sorry, but unless the pictures are published somewhere legit (magazine, etc.), we are going to respect the wishes of DC to wait until the actual production engine is unveiled. Everything I have read indicates that is happening in January at the NAIAS in Detroit. Should be much better pictures then!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
REGARDING THE PICTURE OF THE TOTALED ZO6.. After looking at it for a few shocked minutes I was pretty inmpressed by the INWARD impact on the windshield. SOMETHING, I hope a deer did this. I really hope it was not a person who flew into the front of the car bounced up and on the hood and then over the hood and went in through the windshield. But sadly that is what it looks like. I think we should remove the picture until we find out what made the windshield crush INWARD.

From the link...
"Driver walked away with a chipped tooth."

Kinda trigger happy there Lee.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I knew I had the picture of the GEN3.5 Viper Engine somewhere.

EDIT: Sorry, but unless the pictures are published somewhere legit (magazine, etc.), we are going to respect the wishes of DC to wait until the actual production engine is unveiled. Everything I have read indicates that is happening in January at the NAIAS in Detroit. Should be much better pictures then!

No problem. You know we are all inpatient and can't wait until the specs are unveiled so we go searching for any info we can find on the net, forums, etc.

I think I saw this picture on another forum and it looked realistic to me but as you have mentioned it was not published on any magazine, website, etc.

I didn’t know that this was the "Trouble Picture".

I liked what I saw. Hopefully DC will impress us and regain the "King of the Hill" status with the new Viper.

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang