2008 Double clutch reliability ?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The double clutch was put in to handel the higher HP,
That was the press release but the GenII clutches have been functioning just fine with 700hp+ modified engines. I'm guessing if a GenII clutch can bolt into a 08 it would handle the hp just fine.

it also has a better feel and lower pedal presure.
I went from an 02 rt/10 to the 08 SSG coupe, it has a completly different feel and is very easy to depress.
I also don't see where that's a big plus. I want a clutch that fights back, not one that feels like it's holding the power of a 4-cylinder Civic.

Vipers are beasts. The driver should be reminded of that in everything they do behind the wheel. The driver should feel it in the pedals, in the stick and in the wheel.

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would be very surprised to hit 2000 miles per interval [<1/4 normal] with that flywheel on the street because of all the stop and go. If you dont mind servicing your clutch pressure plate with your oil changes, then it could work.... haha.

:D :lmao:

Thanks for your patience Dan, most appreciated!

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipers are beasts. The driver should be reminded of that in everything they do behind the wheel. The driver should feel it in the pedals, in the stick and in the wheel.

Funny you mention that, in some European cars, pedal feel such as the gas pedal (in the old days literally the throttle body spring) was carefully selected to give the right "sporty" feeling. The harder the feel, the more "powerful" the car felt. Same with the heaviness of the steering wheel. Clutch pedal weight had a lot to do with the pressure plate, and they played with the hydraulic cylinders, however the whole concept was like you suggested.

The Japanese, however, engineered all the heaviness out of everything so that you felt you were driving a super slick machine...

I also personally prefer the "heavy" approach.

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally it seems that there was no oil leak at all. All seals are in perfect condition
The driver just severly burnt his clutch on his new 2008 Viper ...

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing with multiplate clutches. Since they are smaller diameter they allow the designer to mount the engine lower in the chasis and maintain the same ground clearence. I believe this is the motivation for Ferrari and it's a direct result of their racing efforts.

SSGViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally it seems that there was no oil leak at all. All seals are in perfect condition
The driver just severly burnt his clutch on his new 2008 Viper ...

I am surprised it burnt up like that. It was a parade so there must have been a lot of stop and go. He must have been on that clutch like crazy! Did they replace the whole clutch? I take it this was not covered under warranty.

Guy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am surprised it burnt up like that. It was a parade so there must have been a lot of stop and go. He must have been on that clutch like crazy! Did they replace the whole clutch? I take it this was not covered under warranty.

But surely spending 2 hours in rush hour traffic would have the same effect? Not that I'd want to do that in any manual car, but it's a realistic scenario that the engineers must have considered when putting the specs together for the '08..

Perhaps he tried to do a burnout and spun the clutch instead? I have seen that happen.. Best part is the the guy was proud of all the smoke, except he didn't realize it was coming from the clutch :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you mention that, in some European cars, pedal feel such as the gas pedal (in the old days literally the throttle body spring) was carefully selected to give the right "sporty" feeling. The harder the feel, the more "powerful" the car felt. Same with the heaviness of the steering wheel. Clutch pedal weight had a lot to do with the pressure plate, and they played with the hydraulic cylinders, however the whole concept was like you suggested.

Interesting, but do they engineer the actual mechanical actions into the feel or just simulate the affect?

Stick shift is the best example. While some folks complain about the "clunkiness" of the Viper stick, I like to feel every move the tranny is making through the shift lever. There is no question that you left a gear and engaged another, you feel it in your hand.

Same with the pedals. Clutch pedals and clutches have different engagement feels. Brake and gas pedals too. I don't want the simulated affect, I want the real thing. When it doesn't feel right it helps you realize and analyze a problem.

These are the things that add to the Viper mystique. Sadly we are gradually losing that tradition to confused folks who want Vipers to be exotics or luxury cars. There are already plenty of those around.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was the press release but the GenII clutches have been functioning just fine with 700hp+ modified engines. I'm guessing if a GenII clutch can bolt into a 08 it would handle the hp just fine.
I also don't see where that's a big plus. I want a clutch that fights back, not one that feels like it's holding the power of a 4-cylinder Civic.

I agree with Chuck. When I switched to a Gen IV transmission and differential, I kept the Gen III clutch for that exact reason. The Gen IV clutch pedal feel, at least for me, is too light.