2008, GEN IV??

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the new drivetrain, but very little cosmetic changes will the 08 Viper be considered a GEN IV? Figured the GEN III guys were the best to answer. If so where is our new section to post in?

My opinion yes. Similar to what occured in 95 to 96.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree about the drive train change.

But, should the cosmetics be changed to the exterior more?

This is a toss up for me.

Gen IV can be appropriate.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
95 to 96 was the same Gen. Both so called Gen I. Gen II started with the 96 coupe or 97 RT/10. The monicker Gen 1.5 started long after the 96 RT/10 were on the market. Suspension, wheels and exhaust does not really make a new generation.

My vote is it is still called a Gen III.

Note Team Viper never wanted to call the 96 coupe a Gen II. The stated preference for the 2003 was Chapter II. A name that never caught on.

OP
OP

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Suspension, wheels and exhaust does not really make a new generation.

OK, so in your view GEN I is 92-02?

I only say GEN IV because there was a GEN I and a GEN II with similar changes.

If there was not a distinction in GEN I and GEN II (but there was) then I would also agree, not new. To be new you have to have a total re-work. I am basing my thoughts on past GENs of the Viper.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last I read was that the next Gen Viper is about 3 years away. That is when the car will be a complete redesign. The 08 Viper is an upgraded Gen 3.

viper77

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the 2008 should be giving the Gen IV designation. It has a radical engineering change in the motor ( HP & overall appearance), Transmission change and apparently sound change in the exhaust with the elimination of the crossover pipe. No more run flats which will make it a better track car overall. With the hood design chance and the many optional color of the exterior and interior, it puts it in a class by itself. Also considering that there was a total elimination of a year of production, this should be considered in. There is such an overall excitement among the Viper community that it deserves the designation. I for one will be doing everything I can to secure on of these cars for myself (blue w/ white stripes of course). I have a 96 GTS but 2008 will make me change. :laugh:
Frank from TC

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08' is a Gen III if we follow past logic. Depends if the logic is based upon HP increases or total % of changes to the car in general.

Gen I is 92 RT/10 to 96 RT/10.
Gen II is 96 GTS to 02' GTS and 97' RT/10 to 02' RT/10.
Gen III is 03' SRT-10 to 06' SRT-10 and the 06' SRT-10 Coupe.

If we are saying that the 06 SRT-10 Coupe is still a Gen III (based on HP, not total changes to the car) then the 08' is just a refreshed Gen III.

I think that the generations of Vipers are based upon major chnages to the car and not just an upgraded diff or a hp increase. The 08' is still a Gen III, in my book.

Rick

OP
OP

94RT10Ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08' is a Gen III if we follow past logic. Depends if the logic is based upon HP increases or total % of changes to the car in general.

Gen I is 92 RT/10 to 96 RT/10.
Gen II is 96 GTS to 02' GTS and 97' RT/10 to 02' RT/10.
Gen III is 03' SRT-10 to 06' SRT-10 and the 06' SRT-10 Coupe.

If we are saying that the 06 SRT-10 Coupe is still a Gen III (based on HP, not total changes to the car) then the 08' is just a refreshed Gen III.

I think that the generations of Vipers are based upon major chnages to the car and not just an upgraded diff or a hp increase. The 08' is still a Gen III, in my book.

Rick

Past logic makes it a GEN IV. You mention the 06 coupe did not make a III a IV, so I pose this question to you, what made a GEN II a II over a I if a coupe model does not define a new GEN? II over I has about the same differences when you look at the III over the 2008 (interior changes, drive train, hood, wheels). So if this is the case, past logic makes it a IV.

I guess we will have to wait until we see how they market the 08. If they mention something like the next generation we will then know. But then again Pepsi may not like that slogan :)

I also want to say again, ignoring history of the Viper I do not think it is, but following history I have to say it is.

One of my other comments was should we have a new section. There would be little engine wise that would be of use between the 03-06 and the 08. I guess body panels and maybe interior discussions would mesh well though.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote to call it GEN IV more for the fact it will be easier to remember and say than anything else.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the 2008 should be giving the Gen IV designation. It has a radical engineering change in the motor ( HP & overall appearance), Transmission change and apparently sound change in the exhaust with the elimination of the crossover pipe. No more run flats which will make it a better track car overall. With the hood design chance and the many optional color of the exterior and interior, it puts it in a class by itself.
I have to agree. Especially if parts won't interchange with earlier Gen111 like hood,clutch, engine parts, UHH what else???

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be sure the generation names have been applied by the owners and not by the oem. As with any car, not just a Viper, a new generation is generally a significant styling change, generally including a new chassis. From 1995 to the 1996 coupe that did occur. The suspension (chassis) was revised from steel tubular to aluminum. The stying changed, not only with the introduction of the coupe, but also with a new front fascia and hood. It also received a completely new interior. It also received a new engine and driveline components. I believe that consitituted a generation change. If we ignore that some of the changes were brought in early in the 1996 RT/10 the generation change would be clear.

For 2003 there was new styling, new interior, new engine and driveline, etc. Clearly a new generation by any standard.

Now for 2008, from what we hear, we have a new hood, revised driveline and engine. That is not enough to constitute a new vehicle or generation to me.

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being that I am new to the Viper world, wouldn't the SRT-10 designation on the cars shown signify that it is a Gen 3? Hasn't every generation had a new name? I have no idea about the previous years and when they actually started each generation but it seems to me that it would be somewhat indicative.

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If for no other reason than we all are on the same page when we talk about the new model. But there are cool alternative names like
Gen3 Mark 2
Gen3 Type 2
Gen3 swiss cheese hood.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clearly it is a Gen. IV

You guys that own Gen IIIs and want the 2008 to be called a Gen. III just don't want to become an "OLD" Gen Viper! This car is more than a simple HP increase. There have been modifications to the entire car and it's internals. It is not as simple as just a HP increase! Calling it a Gen.IV will make it clear to all what you are talking about.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since the car is still on the ZB platform but has an updated drivetrain, I think you've got to go with gen 3.5; this description matches the '96 RT/10 which was referred to as a gen 1.5. If and when the Viper makes it to the ZC platform, we will have a gen 4.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yep, no Gen IV yet. Nice upgrades but too many carry over parts.

SilverMamba189/200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious after reading the prior posts that if you own a Gen III car that the 2008 should be a Gen III as well, but if you own an older car then it should be a Gen IV. I own a 2005 Mamba so I'll vote for Gen III so I don't have to go buy the latest and greatest.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my humble opinion the 2008 should be giving the Gen IV designation. It has a radical engineering change in the motor ( HP & overall appearance), Transmission change and apparently sound change in the exhaust with the elimination of the crossover pipe. No more run flats which will make it a better track car overall. With the hood design chance and the many optional color of the exterior and interior, it puts it in a class by itself. Also considering that there was a total elimination of a year of production, this should be considered in. There is such an overall excitement among the Viper community that it deserves the designation. I for one will be doing everything I can to secure on of these cars for myself (blue w/ white stripes of course). I have a 96 GTS but 2008 will make me change. :laugh:
Frank from TC

I agree with this philosophy also! Plus anyone who owns a Gen III coupe will have a unique car. Agreed?????

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Shutting down the Plant, retooling the motor, VV timing, bumping displacement, new diff. internals, bumping hp, spending more money than on the 2006 Coupe, magazines see it as new,and on and on...............this is a Gen IV.

The Gen III was good for 4 years , about the same as the Gen I ( save for the 96 RT-10 which is the real mystery car ), and we will see more changes as the year goes on.

Gen IV will likely have a similar run, before we see Gen V in my humble opinion.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking 3.5 all the way up to Pemberton's post, but I might be swayed by that.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shutting down the Plant, retooling the motor, VV timing, bumping displacement, new diff. internals, bumping hp, spending more money than on the 2006 Coupe, magazines see it as new,and on and on...............this is a Gen IV.

The Gen III was good for 4 years , about the same as the Gen I ( save for the 96 RT-10 which is the real mystery car ), and we will see more changes as the year goes on.

Gen IV will likely have a similar run, before we see Gen V in my humble opinion.

My thoughts exactly! :2tu: This is a huge motor upgrade with more dispacement, variable valve timing, higher compression and individual coil packs. Those four things alone will make in confusing if it is called a Gen 3. It just makes it easier when discussing the car.

Gen 3's had a 4 model year run, now it is Gen 4 time! :nana:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang