2008, GEN IV??

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly! :2tu: This is a huge motor upgrade with more dispacement, variable valve timing, higher compression and individual coil packs. Those four things alone will make in confusing if it is called a Gen 3. It just makes it easier when discussing the car.

Gen 3's had a 5 model year run, now it is Gen 4 time! :nana:

[/QUOTE]

Agreed!!! Just an FYI, Gen 3's ran for four years 2003-2006 and assuming the 2008 is called a Gen 4 the 2006 coupes become a very unique piece...Dan

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Gen IV = 2010 model with real exterior changes

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seems highly unlikely that will occur until 2012, because (1) Gen1/2 was 92-02, then the present Gen3/4 would be 03-09 with a skipped "year", which seems too short compared to Gen 1/2, and (2) this current redesign sounds much like the Gen1 to Gen2, where there were little body changes, mostly mechanical, and the Gen2 lasted for much more than 2 years. So therefore, I doubt we will see a change so quickly.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seems highly unlikely that will occur until 2012, because (1) Gen1/2 was 92-02, then the present Gen3/4 would be 03-09 with a skipped "year", which seems too short compared to Gen 1/2, and (2) this current redesign sounds much like the Gen1 to Gen2, where there were little body changes, mostly mechanical, and the Gen2 lasted for much more than 2 years. So therefore, I doubt we will see a change so quickly.

I agree, plus I'm sure they're waiting to see how things go with the '08 Viper before greenlighting the ZC platform.

JB/SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a Gen III.

I think DC did a great job of evolutionary development of the 08, but it is a Gen III.

Why? Try this on. So I'm in my 05 cruising down the highway and approach another SRT from behind. "Look," says my lady friend, "there's another Gen III." "Whoa now Mama, we can't tell until we pass it and see the hood. Oops, it's a Gen IV."

Sorry guys, to me a car that cannot be immediately identified from any angle as the next generation just does not qualify as, well.....the next Generation. Be patient, my friends, I think DC will kick butt with the next iteration of our favorite car. In the meantime, buy the 08 and enjoy the most powerful American production muscle car ever built.

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the gen 2 replaced the gen 1, it had more hp and a new hood.....hmmm, sounds familar............one exception, the intro of the coupe.........i say gen 3

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corvette has had 6 generations in 50+ years. Many more engine changes than 6 also. Why do you think an engine drives a generation? It is generally more to do with chassis and body style. That is from the industry and not Viper owners and has nothing to do with what I own. The body and chassis are essentially unchanged from what we hear (a hood change does not constitute a body change). Thus Gen 3. Remember Chrysler argued against the 1996 GTS being called a Gen 2 and wanted the Gen 3 to be called chapter II.

Motor Trend would not consider this as a new car based on previous decisions. Not that I consider them the ruling authority, but they have had the longest COTY competition and have allowed only essentially new vehicles in their competition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang