2008 Viper breaks 200 mph barrier

Viper ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2008 Viper brakes 200 mph barrier

Thanks for the link .... I had to register to see the Thread

Here is the Info so everyone else doesn't have to register .

Thread Title Reads :

2008 Viper exceeds 200 mph during track test, Can you say "breezy"? - vert hits 197 mph, with the top down

Then first post reads :

It's simple math. Add 600 horsepower to the 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 Coupe and Convertible in order to go greater than or faster than 200 miles per hour. That's just what an '08 Viper Coupe and Convertible did during recent testing at the 7.5 mile long oval at the Transportation Research Center in East Liberty, Ohio. Powered by Viper V-10 engines that now generate 600 horsepower, both super sports cars broke the barrier by averaging more than 200 mph. "The Coupe and Convertible have similar drag numbers, so we are not surprised they ran almost identical top speeds," Jeff Reece of SRT Vehicle Development, said. What surprised everyone was the Convertible going 197 mph with the top down. Driver Erich Heuschele of SRT Vehicle Dynamics described that particular test as "Breezy."

:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

All I can say is I hope this is true. I'm excited that more info is finally out on the car .

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

170 with no top in an RT/10 is "breezy" so I'm sure 197 in the SRT/10 vert is too!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does not surprise me in the least. If you remember the 1999 GTS test that went 194mph. This is a ton more horsepower. Should go the extra 6 mph. Yes, I realize that the coefficient of drag is different between the cars, but still lots more hp to go that 6 mph.

Whoaa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would have been pretty surprised and disapointed if the new coupe with 600 hp couldnt break the 200 mark

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But did it say that it only went 200 mph? I suspect it was more than just 6 mph... :D

Very true. But that is all that they claimed. If they did 197 or thereabouts with the top down, I would say that it does 204 to 206 in coupe form. Perhaps you can shed some light as to the actual numbers Chris...:D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very true. But that is all that they claimed.
Not exactly... "Powered by Viper V-10 engines that now generate 600 horsepower, both super sports cars broke the barrier by averaging more than 200 mph."

I wonder if they added cruise control for Chuck... :rolaugh:

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was always a foregone conclusion to me that it would easily break 200mph....No surprise to me....Wonder how stable it feels at those speed and if SRT will add more downforce a la f430 if its even needed....that would lower the top speed though...

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
So where can we (the public) find a LEGAL place to reach 200 mph? I'm not interested in the standing mile, only busting the 200 mph mark. I've heard Bonneville isn't a good place due to the surface and of course the salt in every crevice of your car. I have an '08 coupe with TeamTech harnesses and the DC rollbar. I've heard that lowering the car is necessary........or at least that it helps substantially. I was unable to open the Allpar link at the top for more information.

Yes, I searched the site and found nuggets of information like increasing tire pressure, only having minimal fuel for the run, removing wipers, removing or folding in mirrors, taping hood seams, etc. Any other information a guy might need? I've always wanted a street car that I've had to 200 mph........not just having a car that ALLEGEDLY goes 200 mph. Am I friggin' crazy, or does such a place exist to do this as safe as possible?

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well in Ohio Not legally There is a stretch of highway that the best I can get is 205 but that is all I can get, and yes I have backed it up with video and gps, Was real loose from 180 to 205 but since the splitter and canards like rails now and still only 205.Need to put more hp in her and...... maybe not...

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
How long of a stretch of road is it that allows you to get 205? I'm looking for a sanctioned place to do it legally. Anyone have any thoughts about Bonneville?

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stretch is around 6 mile of Clear Sight road so you can see and respond to the speed in hand.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a little steep. And I don't know that 3 miles (which includes a couple of bends) would be enough to get to 200 mph. Like MarcRoth said, I was thinking 6 or 7 miles at a minimum to get every last mph out of her.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonneville is a bad idea. I tried to get information about doing the run there and just for a stock Viper above 175mph expected you need full race suit, roll cage, fire suppression under the hood and twin parachutes mounted to the rear.

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KNG I am with you on Bonny, Other than the safety equip. The salt is way to unpredictable and no traction, So going fast and hoping for no malfuntions would be the question.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me, I want to be part of the 200mph club but I want to do it safely on a nice flat surface. I will never do it on a highway or anything of that nature. I also won't add almost 10,000 dollars in modifications just to run on the flats as well. I am not sayin these modifications are not necessary, especially after seeing the UGR Lambo that flipped (that was what the flats manager sent me after I requested the info, that video) The car stock goes over 180 mph and those requirements I listed cover just the car stock. I am certain my set up will do over 200 fairly easy. I have HP, I have braking. I would do slower runs to get a feel for it. 160, 180, 200 or something of that nature.

AZVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We went to Bonneville last year. Great experience but I don't think I want to run my car on the salt. Check out the Silver State Classic (silverstateclassic.com) in Nevada. I believe it is coming up in Sept. Hwy 318 is a fantastic road, just repaved last year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang