2008 Viper (mule) Spy Shot

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Behold the first images of the 2008 Dodge Viper a 2008 Dodge Viper development muel. Our source tells us that there wasn’t just one powertrain prototype here - there were at least four of these red-hot Vipers with a vinyl-covered camouflage hood and various wires and test gauges - but nothing could hide the huge vents on the hood.

Sources are telling us NOT to expect a 2007 Viper - that model-year will be “skipped” and the ‘08 models will make an early appearance within the first quarter of 2007. And we do know that Dodge wants to expand the horsepower in the Vipers, but the “what” and “how” are currently just rumors. One rumor floating around is that McLaren is involved and has been breathing on DCX’s V-10 engine to get it somewhere near 600-650 horsepower.

4030viper1.jpg

4030viper4.jpg

The added HP probably cooked the guy out of the car :)

650HP would be sweet. I'm sure the market would flooded with later model Viper. I know mine would go on the block.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Hopefully there won't be too many dealers trying to price gouge!

yeah, I wouldn't bet on it... if even VW dealers had a markup when the BUG came out!! lol... imagine what this is going to be... I see myself buying an '09, plus all the first-year model imperfections are corrected.

AlbertFattal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is incredible, but I hope alot more than just power is being added, I cant waite! Excited like a six year old child!

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Other good news is that the Gen 4 hood may fit the Gen 3 cars as a styling upgrade ...

Chris Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already are flooded, eBay listings are staying in the mid $70's with new Coupes being listed everyday.

I'm sure the market would flooded with later model Viper. I know mine would go on the block.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The added HP would be nice, But I think they should do something in the looks department as well. Not just slap a hood with big vents.02

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The added HP would be nice, But I think they should do something in the looks department as well. Not just slap a hood with big vents.02

That's just a mule. You can bet the nose, tail lights, interior dash (new DC 'sqaure' radios) and wheels will change at a minimum, as well.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the only difference between the gen III viper and the gen IV viper is going a little more horsepower and a hood?

lets hope not.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the report implied the car was simply a Gen III with the hood, so I'd look forward to a newly designed car, as well. Lets hope it goes on a diet of a few pounds. What a HP war we're in!!!

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks like a 650hp hood at least, the new soft top version. And the "hard top" version will allow the car to go .0001 mph faster than the soft top version.

Maybe it is the long awaited "hybrid" version of the Viper.

Hey....it is a car company.....they test. Any conclusions drawn are speculative at best.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Toby on this one. The drive train is only certified to 550 HP, so that would be my guess. It can handle more, but by law they can't go higher without re-certification.... that mean time and $

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Toby on this one. The drive train is only certified to 550 HP, so that would be my guess. It can handle more, but by law they can't go higher without re-certification.... that mean time and $

They seem to get their MB geezer-mobiles certified for faster and faster drive trains every other year...

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone gets all gitty when a new one comes out and they have to sell their viper to get a new one. It's not going to change that much. I think you should buy the model you like the looks of best, and put a little money into the motor to make it have the power you want. Everyone here jumping for joy over 650HP. You can spend about $5000 on whatever viper you own now and get over 650HP. This is just my opinion, I would love the new viper to come out with a shitload of HP, but even if it did, I wouldn't sell mine and buy it.

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Test mules by definition only test new parts,engine,chassis of a new model and not necessarily all at the same time. No real conclustions can be drawn from picture alone since for all we know it could be an 05 SRT-10 with 2008 test engine, or even just 2008 suspention or transmission.

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone gets all gitty when a new one comes out and they have to sell their viper to get a new one. It's not going to change that much. I think you should buy the model you like the looks of best, and put a little money into the motor to make it have the power you want. Everyone here jumping for joy over 650HP. You can spend about $5000 on whatever viper you own now and get over 650HP. This is just my opinion, I would love the new viper to come out with a shitload of HP, but even if it did, I wouldn't sell mine and buy it.

but you still have the old model......yes you can get 650HP out of a 97 GTS but there are a TON of improvements besides the engine. The new version will still be lighter and be a better made car and while you can get the HP, you will never have a 650HP N/A GTS with factory like driveability. Ask yourself why would you mod the old car when you can buy a better factory version and have that increased performance level as your starting point. I also found it odd that you would call into question the looks of a car that you haven't seen. What if you thought the new model looked the best? Would you then be in the "giddy" camp?

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

but you still have the old model......yes you can get 650HP out of a 97 GTS but there are a TON of improvements besides the engine. The new version will still be lighter and be a better made car and while you can get the HP, you will never have a 650HP N/A GTS with factory like driveability. Ask yourself why would you mod the old car when you can buy a better factory version and have that increased performance level as your starting point. I also found it odd that you would call into question the looks of a car that you haven't seen. What if you thought the new model looked the best? Would you then be in the "giddy" camp?
your the guy in the spy photo leaning over the car aren't ya!!