2008 Viper news

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 2008 Viper news - NOT!

Aluminum frame? Isn't that a problem for club racing?

My 'Vette buds tell me that I have not seen any new Z06's at the track because of the aluminum frame. That doesn't seem like it should be a problem for HPDE's, but these guys say that none of the sanctioning bodies (SCCA, NASA, etc) will permit the new Z06s to be used as race cars because of the aluminum frames.

Also, a separate problem with new Z06's, a cooling issue with those cars when run hard (like in HPDEs).

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bobpantax makes a good point. Upping the hp level too much will make for a Viper that will probably bring DCX liability suits after some ***** crashes and kills himself in it.

What is this liability paranoia with HP? Are all you guys the victims of bloodthirsty lawyers or what? How many "toooo beastly" lawsuits does Ferrari, Lambo or Porsche have against them? Does Doug Levin, Sean Roe or Jason Heffner get sued when they build 800+hp beasts? Does Novi or Paxton get sued every time some kid puts one on his fart can and kills himself burning off a 15-second quarter?

I don't put anything beyond our "justice" system, and I'll be the first to admit how ****** up it is, but when some lawyer decides to pull the "HP card" I expect there will be more than a few attorneys with some pretty pricey cars in their garage and more than willing to make arguments in defense. Not so coincidently, I'd bet there are more lawyers tracking than any other profession.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The nose on the Viper won't have to change for Europe unless it's a totally new design. Models already in production don't have to meet the new standard until the next redo.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's an old topic, but if the Viper is Dodge's "image" (or halo) vehicle, why doesn't it do something to promote the image. Chebby put Vettes in a high percentage of their media ads and has a very active program to keep the car in the eyes of the public. Most car people know about the Viper, but I am constantly amazed by those who are uninformed about them.

If Dodge needs to sell some cars, why don't they increase their exposure? Don't tell me it is too expensive, the bowtie boys have shown how to do it economically. How can you have a halo if it is buried in the back room?

Melanzana

Enthusiast
Reaction score

this is what i hear:

1. 2006 will have an ACR and possible Comp Coupe engine option from the factory (after you sign off on no warranty, smog, etc.).
2. Viper production will cease in July, 2006. At which point in time the Firepower will be added to the Conner ave plant.
3. Sometime there after the Viper line will have a new powertrain - both more smog friendly and more powerfull (550-600 hp).
4. Viper production will resume in Spring of 2007. Gen 4 will be essentially same car with different motor and differnt front/rear styling and possibly a different hood due to new motor package.
5. Dodge will skip 2007 and start delivering 2008 Vipers in the Summer of 2007 - which is not all that far away.
6. Expect Dodge and SRT to use the next VOI as a focus group so they can show off the new car and fine tune it based on feedback from Viper owners.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I understand they have licensed Cragin's rubber cam technology to get even better low end torque, better emissions, and higher revs while reducing engine noise.

Can't wait for VOI.9.....VEGAS BABY!

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I understand they have licensed Cragin's rubber cam technology to get even better low end torque, better emissions, and higher revs while reducing engine noise.

Can't wait for VOI.9.....VEGAS BABY!

Thank you for the facts. Not a brain fart like some of these other posts... :2tu:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know anything about any "rubber cam", but as for the post above it:

1) Sounds alot like the old factory Hemi Dart race cars
2) I've heard 8/31 for the end of production but that was a while ago
3) The smog laws are changing and the 8.3 does not meet the stricter requirements, hence the new engine (supposedly an 8.4L). There will be a bump in power and torque, but the 8.4 will not be at the levels it is seeing in testing when introduced - this will allow room to grow as the competition catches up.
4) 1/2/2007 for production start up. Originally, it sounded like the new platform (ZC) would go into production then, but lately it's sounded more like the ZB platform will continue with the kind of visual mods Melanzana mentions.
5) Yes, MY 2007 will be skipped. By the time production starts back up and the new cars get through smog tank I'd expect to see them in the spring. I wonder if we'll get purchase vouchers at VOI?
6) A showing and focus group at VOI is what I'm guessing as well, but I have no confirmation of this and this guess is only based on prior history.

Mastiff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please... hit me over the head with a tack hammer for even mentioning this...

I have no real proof....

BUT.. here I go.. nutshell version

A guy works for me was the Prez. of the local Vette Club, knows some people from Dave Hill's world (the Z06 guy) and the "rumor" I stess "RUMOR" (keep in mind, from some of the Chevy guys)..

... was the new and improved Viper was going to keep its current V10 but the output was going to be rated at under 550hp but somewhere close to that. However, the car itself was going to be significantly lighter than the current car with a better driveline etc.. resulting in a much faster and better handling car do to the improvements in lighter components and better engineering yada yada yada...

Anyway, for whats its worth.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mastiff - the HP number may be correct, but they can not use the 8.3L beyond this model year due to the EPA regs. Hence, the 8.4L that is coming next model year.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Moparman, are you the same person that is mentioned in the Blog below?

4/7/2006 **** Blog - Well, another surprising moment happened three days ago on the Chrysler insiders website called Allpar in seeing more inside information being leaked about the next generation Dodge Viper code Name ‘ZC-700’. As you already seen the latest attempts from Chevrolet strong arm of General Motors Corporation, the Corvette Z06 for 2006 beat out the legendary Dodge Viper as the ‘King of the Hill’ of the American super sport cars under the $100,000. Now with the onslaught from the Asian coach builders Lexus for the next 2008 IF sport car, the Acura next generation V-10 NSX, and the latest Infiniti Skyline, DaimlerChrysler’s SRT in-house performance engineers are secretly strategizing and masterfully creating the next super Viper. So much for the small talk on with the gossip…

According to the Allpar user nickname Moparman, reported that a friend that works for Magna Steyr Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co. KG, the world's biggest contract-vehicle manufacturer, receive an RFQ from DaimlerChrysler for the 2008 Viper for 30,000 units annually. Wait…30,000 units? Lets look at some sales figures for the Dodge Viper. From 1992 thru 2006 the sale numbers doesn’t cross the 5,000 units’ threshold. What does this mean in reality? It means that there is another car or perhaps two that will be added to the Viper platform – one of them we already gathered thru various 'means' will be the Chrysler concept called the ‘Firepower.’ We do know that under the skin of the Chrysler Firepower resides the Dodge Viper ‘ZB’ platform.

In addition from the thread that was posted, Moparman friend own comments suggest something that we knew would eventually surface – the engine. He states,

"The biggest concern with the 2008 Viper will be keeping it street legal (half joking). Dodge doesn't make any money on the Viper -- it's there for image -- to be the baddest car on the road. Since the new C6 Z06 came out, it's on now."

Now you are looking at the next best raw American super car that will have over 700-HP/700lbs of Torque. How did we come to that conclusion? Using Allpar user nickname oH2o, famous ‘Engine-to-Platform’ list, it reveals a 8.4 liter V-10 powerplant that already been assigned its engine code designator 'EWE - 8.4L V10 (MPI) ALUM. BLOCK 700 H. 700? That represents the 700 Horsepower. Other startling revelation is revealed on that list, which platform that perhaps the SRT performance arm of Chrysler USA will try to shoe-horn the super engine into the next generation Ram SRT10 [DS] and Ram Quad Cab SRT10 [DT]. Watch out Ford Racing’s, Dodge planning to step up the ante on the super sport truck market again.

Well, I could say more when I received some additional ‘revelation’s of a across the pond connection and possible some commonality with the Dodge Viper, Chrysler Firepower, and the Mercedes SLR McLaren, ...stay tune for more news at Ten...:hi:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, although I am mentioned strictly because I cross posted the info that started this thread to AllPar, as well as the info regarding the Magna contract. I'm not sure where HemiDakota got the idea that I knew either person who posted the info I put on AllPar.

The memo mentioned on that blog was leaked from inside Chrysler a few months ago - I consider it to be accurate information based on what I've seen and heard over the last year.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Believe for corporate fuel econony, safety design issues and other Federal requirements they will essentially skip a model year. Corvette has done this in the past......
One correction, and 2 facts: in re CAFE = Corp Avg Fuel Econ: Becacuse of the miniscule volume of Vipers built, if it only got 1 mpg it would NOT affect CAFE. The millions of other vehicles built erase the relative thirsty Viper's average.
HOWEVER: Individual fuel economy matters: Avg MPG upon which GAS GUZZLER TAXES and other fed mandtates like skip-shift lites DO matter. If the Viper cannot attain an annual fuel econ average, it get even higher guzzler tax. (this is why the Viper has ridiculous a 3.07 rear ratio, to keep that tax low.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant