20's All Around!

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got the Viper back complete with 20's Asanti's all around and new 3" Corsa with RT Hi-Flo's. I was a little nervous about the 20's and final height but after seeing the final product, I couldn't be happier. Final height is 3/4" higher than previously which makes sense since the new front tires are 3/4" taller than my old stock 17's. Since it is so close to stock height I think I will hold off with any lowering for now. New exhaust sounds incredible.

P1010035_edited.JPG

P1010019_edited.JPG

P1010033.JPG

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice wheels man! I look forward to seeing them on Sunday.. I was thinking about doing 20s all around, but I might lean towards 19s or 18s... unsure because I really don't want to change up the gears and have the speedometer be inaccurate. :(

Are you leaving the gears at 3.07 or changing them up?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice wheels man! I look forward to seeing them on Sunday.. I was thinking about doing 20s all around, but I might lean towards 19s or 18s... unsure because I really don't want to change up the gears and have the speedometer be inaccurate. :(

Won't 19's affect the speedo too? They are 1-1/4" taller.

Looks beautiful....but be careful around corners. Your handling will change noticably.

Why does the handling change that much? Will it apply to 19's too?

OP
OP
N

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe speedo will be an issue for 18's and 19's based on circumference of the tires compared to the 17's. For the most part, I add 5mph to whatever speed shows and that's about what I'm really doing. Not real accurate or scientific, but it works for me. Good news is the odometer will show less miles as it is based on revs of the tires. I'm not touching the gears.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe speedo will be an issue for 18's and 19's based on circumference of the tires compared to the 17's. For the most part, I add 5mph to whatever speed shows and that's about what I'm really doing. Not real accurate or scientific, but it works for me. Good news is the odometer will show less miles as it is based on revs of the tires. I'm not touching the gears.

Well I figured the car will be slower the bigger the wheels you put on it. I just assumed doing 18s or 19s from the stock 17s wouldn't make it as slow as putting on 20s.. 20s do look good tho; ive just been considering 19s since I'm not sure if 20s would be too much of an overkill; but they do look nice! :2tu:

OP
OP
N

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I figured the car will be slower the bigger the wheels you put on it. I just assumed doing 18s or 19s from the stock 17s wouldn't make it as slow as putting on 20s.. 20s do look good tho; ive just been considering 19s since I'm not sure if 20s would be too much of an overkill; but they do look nice! :2tu:

"Overkill"??? You went and bought a Viper for crying out loud . . . . it's a little late to be worried about overkill now isn't it? :) I think you'll find the weight of the tire/wheel combo has a lot more to do with final speed than the size of the tires. Case in point, I lost approximately 45 lbs going with the current setup over the 17's.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I responded to your question about the Opener this weekend. Are you bringing the machine if it's raining?

My friend Martin and I were just talking about this Sunday. Do you think they will cancel because of the rain?

This would be my first event; I actually signed up to the VCA but am waiting for my member number.

OP
OP
N

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
N

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tires did you go with?

I chose Pirelli P-Zero's. I have always been a Michelin fan but I have to admit, I have never felt my car handle like it does now. It may have as much to do with going from 17" to 20", I'm not sure but the difference is like night and day. Sizes are Front 275-30-20 and Rear 345-25-20.