$219K Ford GT vs. $80K Dodge Viper SRT

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
It's been a while since any discussions/comparisons between the Ford GT vs. the SRT. I had the chance to sit down with the owner of a Ford dealership and he has heard of a number of dealers getting $80K OVER list for the GT - putting the cost for a GT at ~ $219K.

While I think the GT is an awesome vehicle, I'd much rather have an SRT for a lot less cash, especially since they run about side by side in stock form. Add a Supercharger or Twin Turbos to a Mamba and you could run circles around the GT and still have money left over for a SRT Truck to tow the Viper.

BTW - if anybody has $220K they want to part with to purchase a GT, I may have a line on one! :)

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta find something else for that extra cash -- the specs on the SRT RAM say "DO NOT USE THIS VEHICLE FOR TOWING". It seems that the suspension is not set up for it. What a waste of torque!! Oh well, we could spend the extra Ford GT cash on . . .

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, do you know if the GT will be available without stripes on it? If it would, I'd look into one. I just don't think stripes look right on that car.

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most everyone here on the boards are aware, the Viper is pound for pound the best performing "bang for the buck" out there. The real advantage comes in knowing it is still banging competitors that are double and triple the sticker price. :2tu:

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the way, do you know if the GT will be available without stripes on it? If it would, I'd look into one. I just don't think stripes look right on that car.

Yes, they can be ordered without stripes.

I have a friend who owns a Ford Dealership and he has owned something like 8 or 9 Vipers. Currently an 01 (I think) GTS, Daytona Nose, Wing, etc... He's a motorhead and a Viper Nut.

His dealership most likely will not be allocated one of the 3,500 Ford GT's. He's working hard to get Ford to allocate him one.

When the dealer info showed up, he and I sat down and looked at the ordering specs, and you can have one without any stripes, one with just the lower door stripes, or one with both door and "Race Stripes" I think is what they called the top stripes.

He said, like everyone has said, who knows where this car will end up. Some think all 3,500 (half to be released this year, half next year) will sell for the stupid money the first few are getting. Some think that by this time next year, dealers may be sitting on them and willing to take sticker to move one. Who knows.

At first he told me that the dealership had only 5 or 7 days to pay Ford for the car once it shows up on their floor. Ford did not want to "Floor Plan" the car and have dealers keeping them all for themselves. Some small dealers that will be allocated one don't even have an anual floor plan as big as the ticket on the Ford GT. He now thinks the 5 or 7 day period to pay Ford may have been recended by Ford. I hope not. That way when a small guy gets one, the first day he has it he will want 50 or 80k over sticker, by day 6 or 7 sticker will be looking real good to that small time dealer. Who knows.

Until they are all out there nobody knows what will happen for sure, other than the first buyers will over pay for the car.

But, yes a few might get ordered without any stripes. I've seen a photo in the dealer order spes of one each way. No stripes, lower stripes, and all stripes. I would have to say all stripes is the way to go, IMO.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bids are up to $95,000 on e-Bay. If you've got the money to burn, go for it. But do it with the knowledge that you've made one of the worst investments possible. The stupid money will dry up pretty quickly and with 3500 units out there exclusivity is not what a hundred large in juice should bring.

I have a friend that may be able to get me one for sticker. If so, I'm a buyer. If not, the Viper is a no brainer choice. I can't afford both and frankly I think the Viper community is a cooler place to hang out so in a weird way, I'm hoping the guy comes back and says no can do! IMO, the GT just isn't worth two fitty.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the coupe gets introduced at VOI8. The dealership in our small city is getting one(Ford GT) and has been offered 250,000. For that kind of money, I pass....mmmm the ME-4-12 could be interesting if they build it.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryck,
I have a strong feeling that none of the 3,500 cars will go out the door at sticker. Too many of us would buy one at sticker (myself included). I believe there's more demand than 3,500 at sticker. I just hope they make enough (increase the number built) so that they can eventually sell at sticker...then all stripes for me! I would still keep my GTS though. If DC makes an SRT Coupe though, then I'm all F****D up!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me think...Ummm...OK $160k for a Gallardo and $60k for a modded GTS! :2tu:

And I would hope to meet that GT on the street with either!! :D

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody knows what is really going to happen yet. I never thought any would sell at sticker either. But listening to a Ford Dealership owner even he thinks it could go either way...All at $100k over sticker or half at stupid money and half at sticker. He has even said Ford rep's and exec's have told him they are afraid the car could cool off and dealers might have a hard time selling a $150K Ford.

The first idea where a dealer had only 5 to 7 days to pay Ford, it kinda lent to a scenario where a small time guy/dealer could get scared and sell it cheep as his time runs out.

Plus there is the factor of the "BIG MOUTHS" who say they'll buy one no matter how much it costs. Then when the rubber meets the road, they won't cut the check. As my friend who owns the Ford Dealership found out for real.

He had a dealer call him and said he had one coming and wanted to sell it to my friends dealership. My buddy had a list of guys who said they would buy one. The car could be bought for something like $235K or $245K. He called some of those who said they would scratch a check and one guy even said he would send a check overnight. No check ever showed up, no one would take the car.

I actually hold a signed contract on one for less than $10k over sticker. I've had a deposit in for over a year. I'll never see a car unless they cool off. I'm sure the dealership will keep bumping me down the list to sell it for more money than my deal. Plus from my dealer friend, he says no one dealer will ever get allocated more than two or three cars at the most and not every dealer will get one. If a dealer ever gets more than that, they are buying them from other dealers.

How P.O'd would you be if you bought one and paid stupid money and then Ford makes up their mind to produce the car equal to the numbers of the Vipers. The early buyers would have just set fire to $80K or more! Ouch!

If you try to invest for profit in these kind of rare cars, it's called speculating.

But none of us know what will happen with the sale, purchase price and value of these cars. History will tell us what actually went on.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most everyone here on the bords are aware, the Viper is pound for pound the best performing "bang for the buck" out there. The real advantage comes in knowing it is still banging competitors that are double and triple the sticker price. :2tu:

The Subaru WRX STi/Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution is arguably the best bang for the buck with a sub 5 sec 0-60mph.

Twosnakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but if I were Ford Motor Company and I had customers willing to buy GTs, why would I stop production?( to make some GT owners wealthy?) I have not completed my MBA, however, business is business. Customers want um, we'll make um !
In the future I would pay sticker for a GT and surly loose $20K but that is acceptable for the fun.
I bought my "03" SRT at invoice and probably lost $15K !

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what happens with the GT. If price comes down to sticker, then I will buy one. If the price stays crazy on the GT, I'll probably get myself one of the new Noble M400 coupes. That was one of the reasons I waited until this year to buy my SRT-10. Just couldn't bring myself to pay the premium price on any car, no matter how nice.

Kai

Fiorano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting to see what happens with the GT. If price comes down to sticker, then I will buy one. If the price stays crazy on the GT, I'll probably get myself one of the new Noble M400 coupes. That was one of the reasons I waited until this year to buy my SRT-10. Just couldn't bring myself to pay the premium price on any car, no matter how nice.

Kai

Kai,
I've been waiting for that M400. It sounds like a beast. I hope 1gracing imports them.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai,
I've been waiting for that M400. It sounds like a beast. I hope 1gracing imports them.

1G is going to begin importing them later this year. Should be a pretty nice machine. My only concern is that the engine will be so "high strung" that it may not last long. Anything that can pump that many horses out of such a small power-plant must be under a fair amount of stress. Particularly here in the States, where you are pretty much on your own, with no warranty, etc. I'm a little concerned that the engine may have been pushed a bit too far and won't be reliable. That's one of the reasons I'm going to wait until next year to make my decision. By then, I should be able to have a pretty good gauge on where the Ford GT prices are heading too, which should make the decision a bit easier.

Kai

Tom Friend

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember how much dealers wanted to gouge me for a new T-bird. After seeing one and how FUGLY it is, I passed. :p Now Forbes magazinbe has the new T-bird rated as one of the all-time overhyped cars. IMO, the Ford GT will soon join those ranks.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car and driver stats are legit (3.3 sec 0-60 mph, 11.6 @ 128 mph), I'd say it would be well worth sticker price.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eat your hearts out fellow viper owners...tonight I got to sit in a production ready silver Ford GT and start it! Ford's Yucca proving grounds are just 30 miles north of Havasu and the cars are tested here. Full production begins June 30th. My impressions are the car is really low, a little more square edged that I initially thought, great seats, instrument panel, and the shifter is angled toward the driver. The car has a start button like the viper and the air conditioning is better and the controls for the air conditioning is in the center console behind the stick shift(really neat). Cargo space is none existent in the nose. Dodge better make a coupe soon. I was advised the car goes easily more than 200 mph.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3500 units is not "rare"

Yes, 3,500 life time production is rare indeed.

3,500 a year, like our Vipers is not rare.

How many 65-67 Shelby Cobras were ever made? I'd venture a guess that only a few thousand were made. Those are kinda rare today, IMO. Same soga, same story with the Ford GT.

The styling and looks of the GT are going to own the market....unless the Street Coupe looks identical line for line to the Comp Coupe. If the final production version of a street coupe changes AT ALL, they will have killed the car before it's release.

Rumors are VOI8 will debut the new Street Coupe. We'll soon see.

Magicboy2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most everyone here on the bords are aware, the Viper is pound for pound the best performing "bang for the buck" out there. The real advantage comes in knowing it is still banging competitors that are double and triple the sticker price.

Not to take anything away from the Viper, but the Z06 comes "close" for just over half the price of the Viper. Even as a Viper owner myself, the Z06 gets my "bang for the buck" award.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
3500 units is not "rare"

I think the most Vipers they produced in one year was 1600.The production in 13 years is somewhere in the 14,000-15,000 range.I might be off a bit,but its close.1000 cars a year is rare.I think the GT40 is planned for 3500 over 3 years,thats 1200 per year.Granted 3500 total isnt a lot,but its a short production run. They are not in this for the long haul,but then Dodge wasnt either when they made their initial forecasts for the Viper.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3500 units is not "rare"

How many 65-67 Shelby Cobras were ever made? I'd venture a guess that only a few thousand were made. Those are kinda rare today, IMO. Same soga, same story with the Ford GT.

The styling and looks of the GT are going to own the market....unless the Street Coupe looks identical line for line to the Comp Coupe. If the final production version of a street coupe changes AT ALL, they will have killed the car before it's release.

Rumors are VOI8 will debut the new Street Coupe. We'll soon see.

Cobras... I seem to recall 500 or so, yep, that's it..... and you could buy one today for LESS than the GT prices being talked about here... go the the back of the last issue of AutoWeek and you'll see a big block GT40 aluminum tub replica for only 90K.... I would venture to say that the GT will be a big problem if you want to drive it as parts (specially body and AL forgings) will be impossible in a few years...

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the numbers are out numbering me.

Regardless of those who want to poo-poo the GT, or poo-poo 3,500 vs. 14,000 as rare or not rare, make no mistake, the Ford GT will be a classic, very collectable car some day.

In twenty or thirty years the Ford GT will be worth far more than our comparably mass produced Vipers. (mass produced compared to the Ford GT's #'s)

Some will be destroyed, totaled in street use, some will become racecars totaled on the track, some will never be found in thirty years, and some percentage will survive.

A starting number of 3,500 is rare and limited, IMO. Why else would some crazies be paying $80K over sticker if they weren't rare and hard to get? Just my $.02.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New Corvette's at half price, yes. They have some deals going on for 9K off sticker on a Z06.