Ferrari 3
Viper 2
Pagani Zonda/Mercedes 1

GT
Porsche 11
Ferrari 4
TVR Tuscan 2
Spyker 1

Sure would like to see a few Factory Vipers.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that the rules say anything about the size of stock motor. But the Viper team thinks that going to 7.0l motor would give them more power because of the restrictor plates on 8.0 l motor.

Also remember BMW M3 V8....Porsche made bug stink about it and they pulled form racing. I think that dodge should do the same to the Vettes.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is the difference in the cars from the GT cars compared to the GTS cars. Also why are there so many more Vipers being raced in europe like FIA GT racing which the Vipers have cleaned up with for the last 2 years and yet hardly any Vipers racing in GT racing in North america. last time I checked there was only 1 Viper and plenty of porsches and corvettes plus every other car.

thanks

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason you see Vipers in Europe and not in the states is because FIA GT rules are not the same as Le Mans/ALMS rules which are not the same as IMSA/Grand Am rules.

Vipers are not competitive with the Corvettes and Saleens in Le Mans/ALMS. Vipers were outlawed by Grand Am (motor too big).

Rumor has it the Viper CC will soon be allowed back into Grand Am.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is because the Viper are too old now to compete with the big bucks form GM. The Viper team is private and can use some more funds. If anybody is interested in contributing got to http://rallyfreak.com and see a little package that I set up for them.

Toronto_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason the Vipers do not are not competeing very well with the so called big boys as you put it is because the big boys are backed by the factory. Chrysler got out of backing the Vipers in ALMS and LeMans 2 yesrs ago. before that they were cleaning up with the Oreca Vipers. What i want to know is what are the rule differences between FIA Gt racing in europe and the Gt racing here. The Vipers are kicking the asses of Ferrari, porsche, and evryone else in Europe. but why not here.

Does anyone know

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they do get weight penaltys, Saleen last year were put out straight away because of the extra weight they had to carry, as they hadn't sold enough road
cars. Not sure if any extra restrictions were on the viper outside the rules

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you mean to tell me that along with NO FACTORY SUPPORT, the AVR Vuipers got restrictor plates to contend with also???Whereas the FACTORY VETTES run UNRESTRICTED????D.A.M.N If this is true that takes alot of steam out of the Vettes dominance imho.....I know that in other venue's they add restrictors to the Vuipers but just assumed that it was balls out at the LeMans events....Are they also shod with skinner than stock front tires also....Id consider it a badge of honor that the Vipers have to be handicapped to make the race even for everyone else :D Although it ***** at the sametime because it reduces its in-born *** kicking superiority.....Are there any venues, besides drag racing, that allow the Vipers unrestricted use of its superpowers?? :D

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
The Vipers were restricted even when they were beating the non-street 7 liter vettes. The Viper's racing record will never be beaten by the vettes. The only reason the vettes are winning now is that they are not racing non-restricted factory VIPERS. GM and the racing series owners got tired of trying to beat VIPERS so they just restricted them until they were no longer competitive. GM's motto " If you can't beat them then don't race them (VIPERS) ".