2nd Pull Over in 2 Weeks

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out for errands and being a really nice day today I decided to drive the Viper. I was traveling a stretch of interstate that I know very well. At the bottom of a long downgrade on a curve is a spot where the state police are setting nine times out of ten, so as I start down the downgrade I slow to and maintain 63mph in a 65mph speed zone. Both windows are fully rolled down too mind you. Sure enough there sits a state trooper in the pull out at the bottom of the grade. I wave politely over the steering wheel as I pass him. Also a few cars are in the same traffic group as I that are blowing by me. As I pass him I look up in the mirror and out he pulls when taffic clears and he is quickly closing the gap. I'm thinking to myself why is this guy going to pull me, maybe he is after one of the cars that flew by me. Nope, he pulls up behind me and hits the lights. Off to the shoulder we go. He approaches the car with the window tint gauge thingi in his hand and says he has stopped me for illegal window tint (mind you both windows still down and were when I passed him) and no front plate. I said okay, and he asks for license and registartion. I tell him that I'm reaching in to the glove box to retrieve the requested items. He says no problem go ahead. So I get them out and hand them over, and then tell him I have a pending window tint ticket already. He say's did you happen to get that about two weeks ago by officer so and so in an unmarked car, and I said yes. He say's I saw you that morning but couldn't catch up to you and radioed ahead for you to be stopped (proves you cannot out run a radio). We both grinned at this point. He then asks if I have ever received a ticket for no plate, and I said yes in DC, and they were even going to tow my car for it. He said "what"..I said yes, I was on a parking meter and went out to pump some coins in and had a ticket for no front plate and the ticket was marked tow required. He shook his head, and I said so I moved my car to an underground garage to avoid a tow until I got out of DC. He now says so what is up with my not having a front plate, and I said Officer would you drills holes in a car like this? He steps back and looks down the car and says no, to be honest I don't think I would either. He then walks to the front and leans over a bit looking at the facia. He comes back to the window and says don't they make something that you don't have to drills holes in to your car to mount the plate. I said actually they do, I have heard of velcro mounted and clip on things on the Viper forum but have not really looked in to it. He nods and say's I'll be back in a few minutes. He walks back to his cruiser, and after the few minute of running my info he gets out as I'm watching the side mirror and comes back to my car with license and registartion minus a clip board. He ask's me what was the defective equipment ticket I received in Faquier County for, I said 68 in a 55 that was reduced to defective equipment. He then hands my documents back and says I have a very nice car but need to keep it legal as I can or else I will continue getting stopped for fix it's like the windows and plate. I said I know, and then chuckling said to him many of the Viper owners on the VCA forum call this part of ownership the Viper tax. He laughed and said I can imagine and to be safe. I said the same back to him and added a thank you for what you do, you have a tough job. He replied I don't hear that much, and thanked me for saying that. We then parted ways.

Last edited:

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, that sounds about a pleasant experience as possible in dealing with a state trooper! Those guys are ********, too. You should play the lottery tonight!

Bravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you pronouce that county?
Does Faquier sound like "Fock-*****"? (not that there's anything wrong with that - Seinfeld).
Notorious speed trap area. I go through on 17 to cut off the beltway heading south, and have been pulled over for doing 33 in a 30. Officer said I was 10% too fast! Didn't get a ticket, but wow.

peakcompletions

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool story. I have found as long as you're honest and respectful they will treat you the same way.

I was pulled over a couple of nights ago. I pulled out onto one of the main streets where I live and had a friend visiting who had never ridden in a car like this before... Now it might be important to note that it is a 3 lane street going in each direction and there was no traffic in front of us. I walked it through 3rd gear at full throttle to give him a taste and backed off... there were the lights...:omg:

Cop asked me what the hell I thought I was doing and I simply replied "being an idiot"... that I was showing my friend blah blah... He agreed that I was an idiot, told me to take it on the highway where it would be much smarter to open it up because these cars will tempt you to go fast... do it out there where it is the DPS's problem. :drive:

And said have a good night :2tu:

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool story. I have found as long as you're honest and respectful they will treat you the same way.

I was pulled over a couple of nights ago. I pulled out onto one of the main streets where I live and had a friend visiting who had never ridden in a car like this before... Now it might be important to note that it is a 3 lane street going in each direction and there was no traffic in front of us. I walked it through 3rd gear at full throttle to give him a taste and backed off... there were the lights...:omg:

Cop asked me what the hell I thought I was doing and I simply replied "being an idiot"... that I was showing my friend blah blah... He agreed that I was an idiot, told me to take it on the highway where it would be much smarter to open it up because these cars will tempt you to go fast... do it out there where it is the DPS's problem. :drive:

And said have a good night :2tu:

Wow you are lucky...That is awesome! ;)

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How do you pronouce that county?
Does Faquier sound like "Fock-*****"? (not that there's anything wrong with that - Seinfeld).
Notorious speed trap area. I go through on 17 to cut off the beltway heading south, and have been pulled over for doing 33 in a 30. Officer said I was 10% too fast! Didn't get a ticket, but wow.

just so you guys know speeding isn't based on a %. It should be 0-7 over is a written warning, 8-10 is a ticket, 11-15 is usually a major offense(meaning points, 16+ is mandatory court, and if you get bagged going 25+, add up all the other plus a fine, possible license restriction and or loss of vehcile.
before you speed make sure you do a few runs of the area:lmao:

I once got a ticket for 37 in 35 driving thru a park in NY. The guy was a **** because I had taken my father-in-laws Jag to Home Depot. When I got to the court I was honest about the situation, he looked at the officer for a minute, didn't say a word then simply stated "case dismissed".

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In GA, unless you are pulled over by GSP, you cannot even be pulled over unless you are going 10+ over the speed limit. The reason for this is the possibility that the radar gun may be off a little (at least thats the reason I heard). Tickets don't get turned into the state (thus going on your license/insurance) until they are for 15mph+ over the limit. Thats why if I get pulled over, I always ask the officer to cut it to 14mph over. I'll pay the ticket, its the insurance hikes that hurt.

OP
OP
F

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A VA State trooper let you off? That's unheard of.

Yep, he sure did. Think he just wanted to let me know who really nailed me two weeks earlier by radioing his co-officer ahead that I was coming but couldn't get me himself. Actually, as it turned out I think if he had caught up with me that morning two weeks prior I think he would have let it go then too. He was actually a common sensed decent Trooper just out doing his job, while not being a penis head about it. I'm sure I'll pass by him again as I travel through that area quite frequently. It will be interesting to see if he ignores me in the future unless I'm speeding of course, because no front plate is going on this car unless it makes it faster, and the windows are staying dark.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
congrast, Fast.

The only time I've been pulled and ticketed in the last 24 years was last Nov. in Faquier on I-66. I wasn't as lucky as you. He got me for no front plate, 79 in a 65 (but claimed he could have written it for 83 but didn't want to hit me with the $1000 bonus fine we had until recently), window tint, and expired inspection sticker.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just so you guys know speeding isn't based on a %. It should be 0-7 over is a written warning, 8-10 is a ticket, 11-15 is usually a major offense(meaning points, 16+ is mandatory court, and if you get bagged going 25+, add up all the other plus a fine, possible license restriction and or loss of vehcile.

These vary from state to state, and county to county usually. I've rarely seen a ticket for below 8MPH, but have seen one or two (not mine). NC can take your license for 15+ on the spot, but rarely do so. VA can arrest you for reckless, which is 20+, or 15+ in a 65 (may be modified now that recently they got 70 MPH speeds). I've never heard of a loss of a vehicle merely for speeding, even at 100+, but jail is a possibility.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32