3.55 Gears!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first experience with these gears. Rode in a '94. My car felt sooooooo slow after that! Punched it in second,third, my head hit the back of the seat each time. Neck-snapping acceleration. JonB sign me up. I am sold!
Although, I am still wondering why someone has not come up with any verifiable speed/ time numbers? (Drag,road course)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Newport Viper:
My first experience with these gears. Rode in a '94. My car felt sooooooo slow after that! Punched it in second,third, my head hit the back of the seat each time. Neck-snapping acceleration. JonB sign me up. I am sold! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the way, Newport! Thanks.... Speedo kit pre-calibrated.

I have offered a LOT of Viper advice since 1993, and NONE is so well-received as a 3:55 upgrade. My "All-Time-Bang-4-Buck Performance Upgrade" NO DISAPPOINTMENTS.

Some G-1s even like a 3.73.....but NOT a G-2.

Lee Dove

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take on the 355 gear. I liked it a lot until I started hooking and making more power.

Now, I wish I had 331's instead. The reason is now to make the qtr mile I am in 5th gear at around 4500 rpm (not the right spot in the power band). Not enough rpm range to make it in forth and there for not as good of et or mph.

I think as long as you are stock are close to it you'll like them. But, if your plans include alot of horsepower and straight line performance then the 354 gear is not the right choice. jmho

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
&gt;&gt;&gt;0.01&lt;&lt;&lt;
laugh.gif

bounce.gif
ROFL
bounce.gif

BURNOUT.gif

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do any venders carry a completed center section? I'd like to keep my 307's in the original case incase I had to swap them back in for any reason.

MadMaxx

RED97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed a 355 gear early this year along with an aluminum flywheel. Stock 97 GTS. I really wish I had gone with the 331 gear. It is too easy to visit the rev limiter, it winds up very fast. I finish the 1/4 mile near the limiter in 4th. Just wish I had a little more room that the 331 would give.

Ran once on the 1/4 mile since the change. My first time out with the new gear was the same as my best time from all previous years (12.30). I did pick up 3 MPH in the traps. There is definitely a learning curve. It actually seems to compound my inability to get a good launch.

I can stab the gas and spin easily in 2nd gear now.

If you are on the fence about a gear, try to get a test drive first. Keep in mind engine mods.
I will be adding a supercharger in the future, and will need to switch back to the stock gear.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.55 gears and did a post a while back on how much I liked them (see signature). I am upgrading to 600 to 800 hp and think I will go to stock 3.07. Anyone have ideas on this. 3.55 at this hp will only make Michelin richer$$.
biggrin.gif

Scott E. Smith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a unitrax 3.45 setup in my 94....which for basic street driving is fine,but my car has nitrous, and at the track ...much like Lee (we raced the same day) you need to shift to 5th to go through the 1/4 I will likely put the stock gears back in.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Rt10, K&N filters, smooth tubes, corsa cat back exhaust. everything else is cosmetic and audio mods so therefore not imperative to this thread. my question is what is recommended for the rearend? stock, 331, 355, ? what? too many **** types and im no mechanic, i just like to drive and drive with power. the only futur upgrades im considering is the roe supercharger and aluminum flywheel. so whats recommended in conjunction with those posible upgrades and with what i already have? also one last and most important point; i use this monster as a daily driver, its a grocery getter as well as a serious roadtrip machine (6000 mile trips) and i wont sacrifice this luxury for anything, so will upgraded rearend be for me ( actually for my car, my *ss is already upgraded, LOL)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4