3.73 Gear Review

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I would like to start off by thanking Devin at Unitrax and Parts rack for all there help and great pricing. I finally put on 350 miles since the gears have been put in so I was able to take her through the gears. My frist thought was just how hard it pulled in 2nd and 3rd. First just lights the tires up but makes driving very fun. Im sure 1st would be just stupid with DR's or slicks. I was also worried about losing top end but I can tell you you wont even really notice I still turn 1900 rpm at 80mph. If you are looking for a fun street car and love the seat of your pant pull then 3.73 gears are the gears for you. I had about 10 people tell me 3.55 where the perfect street gear but I think 3.73 are the way to go for a bolt on viper. If you have any question feel free to ask

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First I would like to start off by thanking Devin at Unitrax and Parts rack for all there help and great pricing. I finally put on 350 miles since the gears have been put in so I was able to take her through the gears. My frist thought was just how hard it pulled in 2nd and 3rd. First just lights the tires up but makes driving very fun. Im sure 1st would be just stupid with DR's or slicks. I was also worried about losing top end but I can tell you you wont even really notice I still turn 1900 rpm at 80mph. If you are looking for a fun street car and love the seat of your pant pull then 3.73 gears are the gears for you. I had about 10 people tell me 3.55 where the perfect street gear but I think 3.73 are the way to go for a bolt on viper. If you have any question feel free to ask[/QUO

I am also thinking of going to 3.73 gears, however, I am running close to 130 in the quarter. The calculations show that the car is near the limiter with a 26" tire. Can you tell give me your tire diameter and the mph at 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm. I will average the two to calculate the speed at 6200 (limiter).

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did an OSG Superlock when they did my 3.73's. Glad I did that as the stock diff sucked with 3.07's and couldn't imagine how bad it would **** with 3.73's, but the OSG is a ***** wadder for neighborhood driving. Choose carefully.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!
If I may, did your speedometer get thrown off on accuracy? My cars speedometer reads approximately 10mph slower at 60mph than the actual speed. The lower the vehicles actual speed of travel the smaller the gap in incorrect reading. Stock OEM wheels. I am wondering if the previous owner had the gears changed.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!
If I may, did your speedometer get thrown off on accuracy? My cars speedometer reads approximately 10mph slower at 60mph than the actual speed. The lower the vehicles actual speed of travel the smaller the gap in incorrect reading. Stock OEM wheels. I am wondering if the previous owner had the gears changed.

Unless Unitrax has changed the way they do things they will add an electronic module into the wiring harness that will provide compensation for the gears. It can be found under the computer module. My 3.73 GEN II has that feature. The car also is off speedometer calibration, however I am running GEN IV wheels sizes on my '97 GEN II. I think the stock wheel size for '97 was 17" ?

IF so the calibration is probably off becuase of the difference in wheel size.