3.73 Gears - Myth, Fantasy & Reality

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan:

I realized that so I added RSI 1.75 inch Stainless Steel Headers, short block, stroker crank, JE pistons and rings, Manley rods, and had it balanced and blueprinted.

However, that said...the gas mileage is not good. So I am returning it to stock this evening.

Alice

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 3.73 and use my '04 as a daily driver in heavy traffic and don't race it. Much better than wife's with 3.07 in town. I have the Corsa's as well. :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe Bob:

Wondering why your wife did not move to 3.55 for around town. Interestingly, my mechanic who had initially advocated 3.73 now states that he feels it is problematic in the rain (for example).

Obviously, the opinions differ. My new gears have been postponed awaiting delivery of my new car.

Alice

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe Bob:

Wondering why your wife did not move to 3.55 for around town. Interestingly, my mechanic who had initially advocated 3.73 now states that he feels it is problematic in the rain (for example).

Obviously, the opinions differ. My new gears have been postponed awaiting delivery of my new car.

Alice

Looks like she is doing just that when she trades her '04 for the '05 that is on the way from Woodhouse with mucho mods :headbang:

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger headers, Stage III ported heads, (hope Jesel J2K) roller rocker arms, cam, improved lifters, aluminum flywheel, green filters, ring-pinions, cross over delete, high flow Random Tech CATS, Corsa Track exhaust, MGW everything, B&M ripper shifter, HRE 843Rs Chromed wheels with dyno tune. I think that about covers it unless a Paxton SC is added at the last minute. Black '04 traded on Black '05 not Mamba :headbang: Almost forgot V1!!! :2tu:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JoeBob:

She's got quite a car coming. Question: was there a particular reason you moved to the `05 rather than having the work done on an `04? How soon will she receive it? Post photos please.

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't drive a 2004 car in 2005 can you? :confused: DUH No real reason she just figured it was time to trade since the 2004's are so last year ya know!!!! And best of all this one will come with about an extra 100 hp. :headbang: It is like getting a stock SRT-10 with 600 hp instead of 500 then modding it to 600 it is a mind game kind of thing. Besides I spend my money on gas and cars the rest I waste. Life is short gotta drive faster.

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real reason is the wife looks like she is going to take my '04 Silver Viper that is already modded and I will be forced to take the '05 because of all that extra power she was not expecting when I turned in the mods list. Now as the loving husband I must give of my self and take the new '05 Beast that is coming if I can figure out a way to convence her that my car is better than the one that is coming. This is going to require a little imagination. Maybe hypnotism would be bennfit. This plan is better than the last plan which was to bury her in the back yard and drive both of the cars. Alice I just don't know if she is able to appreciate such a fine supercar. If I bury her in the back yard I already have nice flowers picked out and will visit her place of rest frequently to boast about how much I love driving both Vipers and to tell her what she is missing.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JoeBob:

This is a simple problem to solve. Explain to your wife that statistically your life will be very short and hers very long, that you would never do anything to alter that life expectancy.

In order to insure that life goes as planned, she needs the safety and security of the `04 which has now been safely driven, conservatively modified and will not infringe on her longevity.

The `05 by contrast is a vehicle of uncertain and untested (by you) reliability. You feel that she should not be associated with its unnecessary noise, whip-lashing acceleration and whining Paxton.

Because you love her (I am quoting now), you insist that she take the safer, more reliable, more predictable and already tested `04, and that if she feels moved by this, she can order you both the `06 Coupe.

Alice

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alice;

Just read your PM you sent me from quite a while ago. Sorry I did not see it until today because I don't check it much; I will now, I promise!

I took Woodhouse's suggestion and installed .373's. I love em'! Woodhouse suggested that, because the wheels/tires are now larger, the .373 were definitely the way to go. .355 would not be as responsive and fun. Woodhouse was right on.

BTW, Woodhouse beefed up my SRT with new heads, cam, lightweight flywheel, under-drive pulley, piggy-back x-tra computer for WOT only, Balanger Headers, Corsa Cat-Back, and the new rear .373. These mods are GREAT- all naturally aspirated!

On a Mustang Dyno, the SRT put out 570hp at the flywheel and 587 torque at the flywheel. My SRT is very rewarding to drive now, and feels like I aleays wanted a Viper to feel. I do need new tires badly for the rear (NOT because of the mods, just 11K miles on em').

Woodhouse believes that because of the wheel/tire size increase that .373 are the preferred gear. When Dodge raised the wheels/tire sizes, Dodge did NOT compensate with the appropriate gears. That is the answer from the pro's, and I support that 100% now that it has been done.

Just my 10cents; however, it is sooo much more fun to drive!

Jim W.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim:

I do not check PM's either; best to reach me by e-mail.

Wondering what was the final price when you got your SRT-10 to where you wanted it.

There are definitely two schools of thought on the rear end. The prevailing appears to be that 3.33 would have been the ideal ratio, that 3.55 is a nice compromise and certainly if you are going to go Paxton, etc, you would not want to go 3.73.

Your experience is that 3.73 and the other mods made it the Viper experience you were seeking. At 11k miles, is this a(n almost) daily driver?

Also you gave dyno figures, but I am wondering about the comparison on E.T. that resulted.

Alice

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JKGiant