3R-Racing will be running two Comp Coupes...... In one: Tommy Archer!

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tommy Archer is back! Go Tommy Go! I had to smile when I saw Tommy driving #22, for you true car buffs.... that was the number of the winning Porsche in the car guy movie of all times (at least in my humble opinion): LeMan's

But maybe of more ironic, the third member of the four car team, driving a Z-06 is none other that Phil McClure.

Immediate Release
March 10, 2004

3R-Racing Set for Sebring

Englewood, Colorado -- 3R-Racing is ready to take on the famed Sebring International Raceway with their new Viper Competition Coupes and their Corvette Z06s in round one of the SCCA Speed World Challenge GT series race on Friday, March 19.

Bob Raub and the 3R Automotive crew have had a busy winter purchasing two new Dodge Viper Competition Coupes and continued development on their two Corvette Z06s. Driving the number 22 3R-Racing/Viper will be new 3R driver and long time Dodge pilot Tommy Archer. Team owner and driver Tim Wiens will drive the companion number 33 3R-Racing/1st Interstate Inns/Viper. 3R Speed GT veteran Phil McClure will return driving the number 73 Aggregate Industries/Corvette Z06.

The Vipers should be well suited to the challenging 3.7-mile, 17-turn Sebring circuit. "The Viper has a lot of torque to get out of the corners and the 500+ horsepower will help us to run strong down the long straights," said Tim Wiens, team owner and driver. "We are looking forward to having Tommy reduce our learning curve with the Viper so we can get up to speed in a hurry."

Duluth, Minnesota native Tommy Archer took a year off from racing in 2003 and is anxious to put the number 22 3R-Racing/Viper through its paces at Sebring. "I have always raced well at Sebring, I have won there many times in the past," said Archer. "The Viper will be a good car for Sebring. Under the World Challenge rules we are able to take the Viper Competition Coupe a couple steps further from the Viper Club specs. We can add headers, two-piece rotors, balance the cars weight distribution and add adjustable sway bars. There should be no problem being competitive from the drop of the green flag on race day."

Speed GT veteran Phil McClure is poised to defend his 2003 Sebring win. "We had a dream weekend last year winning pole and then the race," said McClure. "We will be running an evolution of last year's Corvette. We are incorporating some new components and should be able to improve on our pole time of 2:12.646 and 100.4 mph. The level of competition in GT will be stiff this year with the new Cadillac team and Audi getting some concessions, not to mention the Vipers from my own team."

The green flag will drop for the Speed GT race on Friday, March 19 for a 50-minute sprint around Sebring. The race will be televised on Speed TV Sunday, March 28 at 1:00 p.m.

For more information reference the team web site at www.3r-racing.com or contact Kyle Chura at [email protected] or (248) 821-0468.

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The funny thing is if you go to the web site drivers list for Sebring it still shows Phil is driving a Z06.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The funny thing is if you go to the web site drivers list for Sebring it still shows Phil is driving a Z06.

Not Funny. That is a correct statement. That team will have two Comp Coupes and two Z-06's running World Challenge series this year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte