3rd gear grinding??

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry if this had been talked about before. I used google and the search button and was able to find 1 thread but it had no official ending.

Anyways, my 3rd gear seems to grind on fast shifts and when it's cold. Someone had told me this was a common issue on the Viper spec T56? Can anyone confirm or give any more information, please? Thank you in advance!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my car had a short shift installed. Could this also be an issue to the 3rd gear grind?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if none of the others grind, i would suspect a removal of transmission

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there's a specific way you're "supposed" to shift the vipers.. I have it as a document. if you'd like to post your email I'll forward it to you.

it could very well be the syncros are bad in your car. but it could be other reasons too... how many miles are on your viper.

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know there's a specific way you're "supposed" to shift the vipers.. I have it as a document. if you'd like to post your email I'll forward it to you.

it could very well be the syncros are bad in your car. but it could be other reasons too... how many miles are on your viper.

34,*** miles on her. I would love to read that document! Email is [email protected]

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
sent.

there's also some pretty good info on that doc.

Lots of great info here! Will come in handy in the future, no doubt. I do use the palm technique when shifting though... I figure it might be the synchros that are starting to fail in 3rd. When rev matching or shifting quicker than normal, it does not grind. I will also change the transmission for the time being and see if that changes anything. I will report back with an update!

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Synchro's
Bent Shift Forks

Do you have access to a replacement transmission, I have an excellent spare trans recently rebuilt by John Dinoto.

Green viper 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a excellent transmission that would be perfect it has 8,000 miles and shifts beautiful all gears

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Define grinding - are you missing a shift, or you hear the car grinding as soon as you let the clutch engage?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few Q's for you:

1. What shifter do you have? Some(B&M) have a plastic gasket/shim that degrades over.time and falls out leaving the shifter loose.

2. What year is your Viper?

3. Have you ever changed the original trans fluid? If yes, with the dextron/ATF, or the SynthMTF?

4. What temperature is it outside when you typically drive?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
change fluid? running synthetic? some years 98-99 I think had issues with the synthetic (mine did after a few years), the synth does something to the paper filter/ring thingy's. Mine would be difficult to go in to 3 rd, especially when cold. popped out of gear a few times. had it rebuilt, upgraded forks, running recommend ATF fluid now. I live with the NGR (neutral gear rattle), but no shifting issues.

OP
OP
G

g3t_t0rk

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE: So I've learned that if I push the shifter into 3rd gear a little harder than usual, it will not grind. I'm guessing my grinding issue has something to do with my short shifter. I'm also going to get poly engine/trans mounts as well as I don't think my car has had them done yet. (I just bought my car a month or 2 ago).

My Viper is a 1998MY and I drive whenever it's sunny out! Usually :)