4 Post Lift Question

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For you guys/gals that installed a four post lift...... is four inches of floor enough (3500 psi) or you did six inches? I am building my garage and the supervisor suggested that I use six inches if I'm going to put a lift. I think that four inches is enough but what do I know......:dunno:

OP
OP
N

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. That was quick. It will be six inches then. Should have use the seach..... :2tu:

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That thread addresses a 2 post lift. You'll be fine with 4" for a 4-post lift. A 2-post lift is a different story. With that said, if you haven't poured yet, I'd opt for 6" The cost for the aqdditional concrete is worth it IMHO.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is four inches of floor enough (3500 psi) or you did six inches? I am building my garage and the supervisor suggested that I use six inches if I'm going to put a lift. I think that four inches is enough but what do I know......:dunno:

Here are a couple of links to major lift vendor's websites addressing your question.

BendPak, Inc. - Providing Automotive Service Solutions

http://www.rotarylift.com/Service_a..._Questions/FAQPages/Concrete Requirements.pdf

If you want the extra margin, and you know where your lift is going, I would think that you could specify four squares of 2x2 or 3x3-feet where the posts will be to be 6" thick and save pouring the whole garage that thick.

OP
OP
N

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are a couple of links to major lift vendor's websites addressing your question.

BendPak, Inc. - Providing Automotive Service Solutions

http://www.rotarylift.com/Service_a..._Questions/FAQPages/Concrete Requirements.pdf

If you want the extra margin, and you know where your lift is going, I would think that you could specify four squares of 2x2 or 3x3-feet where the posts will be to be 6" thick and save pouring the whole garage that thick.

Thanks for this idea (2x2 or 3x3). I will try if they can do this. Just to give you an idea... the additional 2 inches will run me $1,600 bucks. Anyway it will be for a three car garage and I'm sure that I will put the viper in the middle of it but will also do the other two.

VCA Member
Reaction score
I went to 6" seven years ago - no cracks, no problems. The extra 2" is cheap insurance.

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that didn't read the whole thread:

http://forums.viperclub.org/2541142-post28.html

This addresses both and Jerry has both lifts. ;)
Only reason I know is because our car is on one of them.
Jerry has helped many KC members with their own lifts and knows his specs.

I've never poured less that 6" in the garages I've built, lift or no lift. I have a pair of Backyard Buddy 4-posts in my present garage. The bases are 12" square, effectively a 144 sq/in contact patch for each post. That's what, 5-10 times the contact patch of a car, effectively spreading the load over a much greater area. Even with the additional weight of the lift, the PSI for the car/lift is lower than just parking a car in the garage. I'd do 6" anyway...

V

Venomiss

I've never poured less that 6" in the garages I've built, lift or no lift. I have a pair of Backyard Buddy 4-posts in my present garage. The bases are 12" square, effectively a 144 sq/in contact patch for each post. That's what, 5-10 times the contact patch of a car, effectively spreading the load over a much greater area. Even with the additional weight of the lift, the PSI for the car/lift is lower than just parking a car in the garage. I'd do 6" anyway...

That's exactly what he said::) we agree.

"Quote, I had the same concerns. The 7k pound lift requires 4.25" depth at 3000 psi strength. Most newer floors are now 3500+ strength. I think the 10k pound lift needs 6" and 12k pound needs 8". If you can torque the lag bolts to 150 Pounds, you are good to go on the PSI rating. If the concrete needs to be re-poured, they want a 4ft x 4ft section removed and upgraded."

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are building, just pour footers at the post locations, they dont have to be very big

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be extra safe, I would also contact the manufacturer of your lift regarding minimum construction requirements. I bought my lift from rotary/revolution lifts and I found them to be very helpful and responsive.

/Rich