4 Post Lift Safety Shut Off

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a 4 post lift yesterday and I was wondering if anyone has found a good solution for a safety shut off to prevent lifting the car into the Master Bedroom in my case...:omg:

I've heard that this is a common practice... just wondering if anyone has some pics or recommendations...?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Easy, NEARLY FOOLPROOF solution: When I ordered my lift to be built to my specs, I carefully measured the max height that I could tolerate with the tallest car on top of the lift...then allowed another 2 inches (since one must raise the lift to clear the safety latches before lowering). I asked the manufacturer to install grade pins on all 4 posts to mmechanically prevent lift from going too high. This has served me well for 8 years.

Only problem would be if someone put a taller car on top than you had planned.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was toying with that idea but I have heard you can install something that works with light like the garage door reverse or a touch pad switch both of which will work regardless of the car... I know once I have the lift my buddies will find an excuse to use it...

Easy, NEARLY FOOLPROOF solution: When I ordered my lift to be built to my specs, I carefully measured the max height that I could tolerate with the tallest car on top of the lift...then allowed another 2 inches (since one must raise the lift to clear the safety latches before lowering). I asked the manufacturer to install grade pins on all 4 posts to mmechanically prevent lift from going too high. This has served me well for 8 years.

Only problem would be if someone put a taller car on top than you had planned.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Have seen/read about various such methods (including contact switches, cutoff switches, various "eyes", etc.)...but, I do not trust them enough to rely on them.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good point... I suppose it makes sense to do both... The max lift plus the 49" height of my GTS is just 1" less than the celing height:rolleyes: I can get my SUV under there locked 1 notch from the top but it's too close for comfort for me... This is all just on paper right now too...

Have seen/read about various such methods (including contact switches, cutoff switches, various "eyes", etc.)...but, I do not trust them enough to rely on them.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
My ceiling is 103 inches...can put any combinations of Viper verts and/or coupes on top or bottom...including coupe over coupe...which still scares me!!! :)

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a few inches to spare and I've marked the columns with DANGER MAX HEIGHT labels but operator error or switch malfunction make me nervous.

Can you elaborate on the "grade pins". Size and where they put them. I've got a switch coming from my lift vendor but I'm going to have to mount it and tap it into the pump wiring; more stuff on column in the way ....

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry, All...I must have erased a few important words on this PDA keyboard;
"grade pins" should have read "grade 8 pins"...8 inches long, 5/8 inches diameter "pin-locks". These are the same size pins that I slide into the 4 posts, allowing the lift to rest on them when lift is at my working height. The top 4 pins are ALWAYS left in place to avoid smashing a car top into the ceiling.

Hope this helps!!!

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The proverbial 1,000 word picture would be great if you happen to be out in the garage photographing your lift...:D

Sorry, All...I must have erased a few important words on this PDA keyboard;
"grade pins" should have read "grade 8 pins"...8 inches long, 5/8 inches diameter "pin-locks". These are the same size pins that I slide into the 4 posts, allowing the lift to rest on them when lift is at my working height. The top 4 pins are ALWAYS left in place to avoid smashing a car top into the ceiling.

Hope this helps!!!

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just mark the column with a piece of tape, blue/orange etc. That is what I have done for all of my lifts.

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago, when I had a lift in one of my homes, I was watching as the car went up and to stop it in time, BUT did not pay any attention to the antenna, the antenna just went up into the plaster.....no damage though, how about putting a couple of 4 inch eye hooks in the ceiling and then put a string line down the center area of the lift on the ceiling and put a couple of bells on each end of the string, as you get up and touch the string will the bells ring ??!! Just a guess my $.02

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have mine marked with a white magnetic strip so I know when to stop (I only have 1" of clearance with my garage door). I thought your original post was asking for a safety switch when you are not operating the lift, that is why I said to unplug it when not in use.

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what I have now
You must be registered for see images attach

My car is close at the max height point with the door up (3 inches!)

and this arrived today; arm has mega adjustability. Might be paranoid:dunno: but I think its going onto the column in case the switch fails while in use.
You must be registered for see images

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks good, All Blue ACR !!

By the way, I HAVE seen a key-lock type of switch stick in the "on" position when the lift was going up...another reason (besides "operator failure") for a "back up"...which, in my case, are the extra 4 pins.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good... Where did you get the limit switch ? What did it set you back ?

Here's what I have now

My car is close at the max height point with the door up (3 inches!)

and this arrived today; arm has mega adjustability. Might be paranoid:dunno: but I think its going onto the column in case the switch fails while in use.
You must be registered for see images

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did the deal for my lift I told them I wanted a switch. It was included with the lift. Maybe take the pic to your supplier? If you can't source locally , I could ask them where they got it.