40K miles

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey friends I just turned 40,000 miles on my 96 RT 10 and was wondering if there was any service that you would reco on the engine, tranny, anything. I just had the brakes redone and they are working great except dusting like crazy, I have th eoil changed every 3K miles w/ synthetic, fresh brake fluid, fresh steering fluid just 1000 miles ago. Anything else?

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny. In any other car, 40k miles is just getting broken in. But in the "viper" world. Folks consider that high-mileage.. The fact is, these cars are pretty simple when it comes down to it. No turbos,superchargers,etc. Just a big Dodge V10.

These cars WILL run x/s of 200k miles, if taken care of properly.. 40k miles is NOTHING.. Just keep the fluids clean like everyone else describes. And the car will keep running like new, for a LONG time..

I went to a dealer auction a few weeks back. There was a 2001 Bumble Bee going through, that has 133k miles on it, and you'd never know. From what I was told, The valve covers had never even been off the car.. Totally stock, totally unopened motor, and still running great..

Daston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would still be changing fluid every 3000k miles and pads every 12 months

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, how much did the 2001 BB go for? With 133K miles, I bet low 30's.

Not bad, it went for $32.6k I believe.. It really was nice. I didnt see any evidence of accident or body work at all. And it still looked pretty decent.. Was a steal for someone looking for a driver..

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny. In any other car, 40k miles is just getting broken in. But in the "viper" world. Folks consider that high-mileage.. The fact is, these cars are pretty simple when it comes down to it. No turbos,superchargers,etc. Just a big Dodge V10.

These cars WILL run x/s of 200k miles, if taken care of properly.. 40k miles is NOTHING.. Just keep the fluids clean like everyone else describes. And the car will keep running like new, for a LONG time..

I agree.

People! It's a Dodge. Get over yourselves. A '96 model year car with only 40k miles or a whopping 3600 miles a year. Wow. :rolleyes:

Just regular service and keep having fun with it!

OP
OP
I

IL96RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys I drive it almost everyday and love it. But w/ winter coming along the hard top goes on by December and the not so many days out of the garage. But the car has never given me any problems in the 22K miles I put on it in the last 2 years.

V

Venomiss

Hey friends I just turned 40,000 miles on my 96 RT 10 and was wondering if there was any service that you would reco on the engine, tranny, anything. I just had the brakes redone and they are working great except dusting like crazy, I have th eoil changed every 3K miles w/ synthetic, fresh brake fluid, fresh steering fluid just 1000 miles ago. Anything else?

Join the club!;)

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
40k? Time for an engine rebuild for sure. Id put some new pistons, rod, main caps and heads on the car. It wont last much longer the way it is....

jk, 40k is nothing. I put 2100 miles on my car in 4 days and over 4k in the two weeks that Ive had it... and still drive it everyday I can to work (45 min each way)

26mpg on the highway!