488 V-10 or 426HEMI

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Through all of the reading about Shelby and Team Viper I began to wonder if in fact the 426HEMI would have been a better engine than the V-10.

What were the reasons Dodge didn't follow Shelby's advice on engine choice?

What can the 488 do that the HEMI can not? Emissions?

Is there a durability issue, there certainly seems to be with the 488.

Was there a Lutz directive that the 488 was always going to be the platform?

Just some questions I have pondered and really never finding an agreed upon reason I thought to ask you guys.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it was cost. Wasn't there already an emission approved V10 in place? With a little tweakin' they get an aluminum version with 500lbs of torque.

I dunno.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
V10 project was underway, HEMI project was not even a twinkle in their eye.

Our Dodge guys wanted HUGE torque, and the V10 surely was IT!

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, I believe "public opinion" pushed them towards keeping the V10 from the show car. Potential buyers thought it gave a coolness factor over having a V8.

S

SUN RA KAT

The Viper V10 is designed to have as little height (& weight) as possible in order to keep the center of gravity low. The Hemi is a tall & heavy & would make the Viper a great drag car and a mediorcre road course car.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could have sworn that I read in a Mopar magazine back in early 1989 that Mopar was considering either a 426 Hemi or a hot 360 small block - this was way before the V-10 was planned. I may have to dig into the archives of my magazines and pull that issue.

Not to talk myself up, but my mind is sharp when it comes to remembering stuff like this from the past.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
shelby wanted a V-8 but Lutz was intent on a V-10.

The V-10 used was an aluminum version of the cast iron truck V-10 which was originally a 360 block with 2 cylinders added.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Truth is the Hemi is not the bees knees anymore. It is still master of the 1/4 mile, but in a Viper - although more compact and lighter (if all aluminum)- it does sit higher.

They have a very heavy valvetrain too. The wedge V8 with INdy heads makes the same power and torque as a Hemi but with half the valvetrain weight and a lot less reciprocating weight. A 572 Al wedge is possibly the ultimate V8.

Multi valves and overhead cams with variable timing and multi-port EFI are worth a lot more than a 2V hemi head in all applications short of 3000hp+ drag engines. The Hemi only shines above that because their parts are big, heavy and strong. Mutli-valves etc are just too small to be strong enough at that level.

Neither option lives up to that high tech - but the V10 could.

The V10 at 2V will never match a Hemi, but doesn't need to - the V10 can be made to make more power than RWD can use as it is. For a Viper it is a better engine in my opinion.... even though I'd toyed with the idea of a 572 wedge in one for fun. A 40V, quad cam V10 would spank the hemi for street and road racing.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the V10 was simply to give the car the "exotic" factor. I haven't checked any specs but I'm thinking that a dry sump could have made the hemi engine sit lower if height was the problem.
Listening to some of the Dodge commercials, I would say the hemi they are advertising as available in their new cars is also an "exotic" factor option.
I don't think the hemi combustion chamber really buys anything in a production street engine, even a high output production engine. They are just selling the hemi legend.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that I remember one on the requirements of the Chrysler bailout by the government was that it was not to produce anymore 426's for street cars. I believe this was done to eliminate their production for emmisions reasons. Can anyone confirm this?

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hemi has a special meaning for us old folks. I think Dodge knows exatly what they are doing marketingwise by bringing it back but I am not sure under current emissions restrictions it would be the right choice for the Viper. The V10 is definitely more exotic, and is turning out to be a pretty stong reliable motor. And for the younger folks, yes, the Hemi is FAST and MEAN and has an awesome sound. Like music!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960