4th gear top speed? "Stock no mods"

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4th gear top speed? \"Stock no mods\"

On a stock Viper no mods. What speed can be reached in 4th gear safely?

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: 4th gear top speed? \"Stock no mods\"

I think an SRT-10 will do about 155 at 6000 rpm.

Safely is strictly an issue of if you have space and skill.

Copperhead245

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 05 is totally stock. At Pocono Raceway last year I got up to between 150 and 155 in 4th gear - the shift light came on, but I had to slow down for turn two...

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On a stock Viper no mods. What speed can be reached in 4th gear safely?

Are you talking mechanical safety or personal.:p

Same question for 5th gear while we’re at it.

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mechanical Safety and curiosity. To answer your 5th gear question I would believe that the Vipers top speed would be reached in 5th gear. That from what I have read (havn't tried this one yet) is 194mph or so. Somebody correct me if Im wrong. 6th gear is only for listening to the radio :2tu:

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Mechanical Safety and curiosity. To answer your 5th gear question I would believe that the Vipers top speed would be reached in 5th gear. That from what I have read (havn't tried this one yet) is 194mph or so. Somebody correct me if Im wrong. 6th gear is only for listening to the radio :2tu:

Fifth gear is definitely top speed gear. Copperhead425 mentioned getting his stocker up to 155 mph at Pocono at the top of 4th. I had the same experience. I was able to get into 5th for just a few seconds near the end of the long straight and managed to see 160 mph before I had to let out for the turn. Seeing that big, banked turn coming at you for the first time at that speed will definitely make your sphinkter pucker! :nana:

Exploring the Vipers full potential in a legal and reasonably save environment is about as good as it gets. :2tu:

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What kind of event was at Pocono that you guys got to run your cars there? Do they rent that track out?

I'd be interested in taking a few laps around that track sometime!!

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What kind of event was at Pocono that you guys got to run your cars there? Do they rent that track out?

I'd be interested in taking a few laps around that track sometime!!

There's actually several organization that sponsor track events at Pocono. One is the Celebration of Speed and Design group (CSD). This is an awesome event! It's sponsored by a group of car clubs including Fararri, Lamborghini, Porsche, Pantara, Corvette and Viper. A lot of other exotics come as well. It's a 4 day event (I believe it's in July). First two days are concourse and the second two are track days. It's a great opportunity to run your car (and show it as well, if you want) along side some of the most extreme exotics you will ever see. Last year, among hundreds of exotics, there was a Fararri Enzo FXX, a Porshce Carerra GT, several Ford GTs and just about every other exotic you have ever heard of. This is a huge event and great fun.

The local VCA chapters sponsors at least one track day event at Pocono per year as well. There are also a number of other clubs that also sponso track days that are happy to have Vipers join in. The cost varies from $150 to $450 per event depending on which course they are running and who is sponsoring.

Another great organization for track events is NASA. They sponsor numerous track events per year at Pocono. Some events are geared more towards experienced drivers, but most welcome beginners and offer professional instructors as well (highly recommended your first time out). Here is a link to NASA... http://www.nasaproracing.com/

Get your Viper on a track as soon as possible. Most fun you can have with your closes on.

Viperholic

Enthusiast
Reaction score

CSD is actually over Memorial Day weekend. I believe that the "show" out on the Manor Lawn is on Sunday all day, and then the track day is on Memorial Day itself. (At least that's how it was last year. Great time though!)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you PM VCA Member "Yelloh" he will tell you all about it. he goes to all the events at Pocono.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you here totally as 5th is a good highway gear and 6th is useless with the stock gears. If you are geared correctly for a given race track then your race gears should be ST - Th in my humble opinion. These gears give you the torque and rpm you need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_