$530 Gas Cap?? (true story)

Alan Patterson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I accidently left my Gas cap in Monterey today. This occurred while filling up for the return trip home after attending the Skip Barber car control class with 19 other Viper folks on Thursday. (Awesome Class!!) Unfortunately I figured out the cap was missing about 150 miles from Monterey and I did not want to back track. I stopped at a "Car Quest" auto parts store in Stockton and told them I needed a new cap. They said I had to buy it at the dealer since it was a "special item". Fortunately there was a Dodge dealer just down the road another few miles at the Stockton Auto Mall so I headed there...
So I go to the parts dept. and ask for a 1998 GTS gas cap. The parts guy says OK and checks his computer--and checks some more. Finally he says "you may want to sit down for this" (He probably should have said bend over for this). Then he tells me the gas cap costs $530. I said hey, I don't need the whole assembly, just the plastic gas cap. He says that's what you get for $530! I proceded to tell him it was a mistake and that there was no way it could be priced at $530. So he begins to lecture/tell me that some Viper parts are very expensive since they are so specialized, etc. (The guy was serious!) Anyway, I ask him if he has one in stock. He says no it is a special order part (I should think so) So next, I ask him if they have a gas cap for a 1996 viper GTS. He looks that one up and says he does not have one in stock, but if he did, it would be $8.00...I proceded to tell him it should be the same one as the 1998 GTS thus the $530 price for it was wrong. So he says No, it has a different part number and once again the $530 price is correct.
Next, I ask the parts guy if there is a Kragens auto parts store near by...fortunately there was and it was only a block away. So I go in to Kragens and buy a gas cap for 6 bucks. Thats $6.00 or $524 less than the Dodge factory gas cap.
The outer cover lid closes a little too tight, so I may shave off the handle portion of the plactic gas cap a bit, but it sure beats the price of a new 1998 "factory gas cap"!!!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Get a LOCKING gas cap at Autozone for $9.95...made by CST... part # 5791...fits Gen I and Gen II Vipers.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the Autozone cap (Thanks Steve-Indy) some months ago. Works great. If there isn't a store by you, you can order it on-line.

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt M, PA:
They quoted you a price for the polished aluminum flip open gas door...NOT the actual cap.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please tell me you're joking..
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the #5791 locking gas cap from Autozone too after reading about it some time ago on this board. Fits beautifully and now I don't have to worry about some idiot pouring sugar or something else down into my gas tank.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdrummer was kind enough to send me a locking gas cap that wouldn't fit his GTS but did fit my RT/10
smile.gif
I'll try to remember to check it and post the type, to help out others from getting one that won't fit the GTS.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I managed to leave my plastic cap on top of the pump the very first time I filled up the Viper.

I purchased a locking cap from Pep Boys and it fits/works great, but the engine light still hasn't gone out after about 200 miles of driving.

How long do I give this light before I start thinking it's not the O2 sensor?

Jeff

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are probably the proud owner of a LDP (Leak Detection Pump) equipped vehicle. All late model vehicle have a pressure-vacuum gas caps but not all vehicles come equipped with the LDP. That is why some owners can go down the local auto store and buy a $6 cap put it on and they don't have problems. But then the other lucky guys find out that the LDP doesn't like that $6 cap when it performs a pressure test and it fails the test. I suggest that you have the dealer put a DRB III on the vehicle and pull the DTC's.