550 ci?

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
john henn is starting work on a 550ci package for the srtram or viper. does anyone have info on the durability of the engine once this is done? thinking about doing it soon.

your opinions would be appreciated.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would stongly recommend that you go to corvetteforum.com and do a search on john. Read all that went on and the lawsuits etc. A word the wise. I am not trying to be coy. Or private mail me.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Henn essey 510 CI stroker motor and it has been bullet proof and it is one of the highest powered N/A motors built todate. I would think a 550 CI stroker motor would be even stronger as it uses a new billet crank.

Henn essey exceeded my expectations on price, performance and schedule. If you have any other questions - shoot me a PM.

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know he has had a checkerd past. all men change. from talking to him on the phone and through e-mails he doesnot seem like a swindler. besides i would skip the lawyer mumbo jumbo and go to his door direct till he made things right.

i hear everywhere that he does quality work. i might go ahead and do it soon.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
quickysrt
You obviously did not read the forum I suggested. To go to the door is "big talk, little do do." This was tried. What I am talking about was also in autoweek mag. However, whatever. I don't intend to post any more on this. Just trying to point out a potential problem. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Q

quickysrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fools and their money are soon parted!

yeah..parted for a verry fast viper.

when i started this thread i did not mean to say "give me comments on john-h's past" i meant "tell me what you think about boring an engine out to 550cic"?

i do not care about your little nini comments of "oh hes a big bad wolf" just looking for technical talk here.

sorry if i have offended some of you.

SERPENT INDIANA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....dance with the devil, you may get a fork up your a$$......you are in Va, why not try Jason Heffner(Heffner Performance) in Baltimore, Md.....great reputation, great product, doesn't sell parts off your car, closer to you by many miles....I have been to his facility and driven his product....most awesome Viper I ever drove.....Jason put the car(96 GTS) down the strip at 9.90 148mph before he returned it to the customer, a good friend of mine....what more could you want ???

happy shopping....

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry no "nini" comments here just a past checkered with screwed customers, and littered with unpaid court judgements. And thats just from the people who are willing to out themselves as victims, i am guessing that there are a few out there too proud to admit they were taken advantage of or did not want to spend even more money to pursue legal remidies. If, i were to buy a car/motor i would stipulate that the car make a perscribed RWHP figure before signing a contract for work to be done. I would also not give a penny till the car is done and ready to be picked up and you witness the chassis dyno on the car. Ok screw it why get so precautious just go to another reputable tuner that will let you feel good about all the time you car is gone being worked on.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
from talking to him on the phone and through e-mails he doesnot seem like a swindler.
Another quote:

"[******] presents himself well, projecting an image of the consummate Texas good ol’ boy whose reassuring conversational style and howyewdoin’ demeanor put customers at ease. People believe they will get what he says he’ll give them. But not all people do."
--Autoweek

And another:

"Most of the complaints come from outside Texas. [******], some said, tends to take better care of local customers. 'If you were out of state, man you were fair game,' said Kyle Kent, a former employee at [******] Motorsports. When an out-of-state car came in it was sometimes parted out, with the wheels, tires and whatever else looked good going to other cars waiting to be finished or sold outright, according to Kent and others inside [******] Motorsports."
--Autoweek

And another:

"Another common practice was putting stock parts on what was supposed to be an upgraded car. 'One customer spent $130,000 to $140,000 and that guy thought he had purchased a Venom 650R package which he thought came with the stroker motor,' Kent said. 'John told him he was getting a stroker. He was just getting heads and cams.'"
--Autoweek

I understand this isn't the information you're asking for, but we just can't help ourselves. Heffner, who is in your back yard, does great work, is honorable (and you don't have to assume he has changed to reach that conclusion), and is very reasonably priced. Furthermore, if something breaks in that future stroker or yours or needs tweaking down the road (which I assume is pretty likely), having Jason right down the street is mighty convenient when it comes to getting your car in for some additional work.

As for the question you did ask, I would have the same concern that you do about stroking an engine that much. I suspect Henn knows what he's doing, but you may want to consider calling some other tuners and asking their opinion about such a modification. Tell them that John Henn is proposing it (which should add credibility to the idea) and then ask them if they think it would result in a reliable engine. Good luck and I hope you get your stoker either from John or somebody else.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding, all second hand, is that the Aluminum block V10 doesn't like going a whole lot bigger. But, don't take my word for it, call Arrow. I think you'll find they have quite a few 505cid motors awaiting attention.

Perhaps JH is planning to use the iron block V10?

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
******...I live in your area. PM me with your email or phone # and we'll chat. You might be interested in meeting some fellow local Viper owners.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32