6 month old Optima battery stopped working...

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Started the car just fine, moved it off the lift and parked it. Came back 20 minutes later, it turned less than 1 revolution and the whole car shut down. No 12 volts. Connected the big charger - on 2 amps nothing. On 10 amps, a clicking sound from the remote entry control box and very weak interior lights. At 50 amps, everything looked great, but only the dreaded clicking sound from the starter solenoid. Reset every ECM and checked all fuses to no avail.
Changed back to the original battery, been on a battery tender for 6 months, started right-up and runs fine!
Is there something wrong with using the Optima? Yes, I had to cut 3/8" off of the positive & negative top posts to get it to fit. Did this have any effect? I know, no warranty if you cut the post, but I did not have time to lengthen the battery box rods. Wanted the Optima for track events, like all the other track rats.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL. Its because you cut off the leads. I did the same thing and ****, no workie. Hey, be thankful yours worked 6 months. Mine worked for 4.

LOL. Sorry but its funny to me cuz I did the same thing.

OP
OP
F

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well dang...
Is there a gel cell that will fit? Or, are we stuck with the OEM battery, or extending the stock battery box so the Optima will fit? If they made a side post only Optima, then no problems.
And what in the heck does trimming a little off the posts have to do with battery life? Come on, I know there is a certified SAE battery engineer in here somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even better than Optima is a true Dry Cell - made by Hawker Energy.... lighter, smaller, mount any way you want. It takes making a custom battery hold down for the tray - but they are AWESOME batteries.

(And no fitment issues....)

OP
OP
F

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Janni - if it comes with your blessing, then I know it is good and track tested!
Obviously it would be O.K. on the very limited street driving I do. Where would I go about getting one of those???

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut the posts completely off my Optima. The posts are two piece inside and will open the circuit if cut deep enough. The battery won't work in this condition but it is not ruined. I soldered each post restoring continuity and the battery has worked fine for the past six months. :2tu: :usa:

OP
OP
F

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks all, I am on it.
I wondered when I cut the posts that it looked like 2 different metals. I'll try repairing it, then give it a good test on the shop forklift!

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Optima fit with a lot of room to spare.
I heard Optima released a new battery that was shorter, haven't validated that yet.
I heard of those who put blocks in there and used a bottle jack to lenghten the battery tray, seems like a good idea.