600HP Gen1 ? Is It Possible ?

venmous

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While checking on an extended warranty at my local Dodge dealer recently (BTW,they have those warranties on older cars locked tight) their resident Viper "expert" came out to check out my car.

I told him it was straight stock the way I purchased it.
He got all excited and said the first thing to do was get K&N filters for it because the snake doesn't breathe properly with the stock filter. . . I knew this to be sound advice and had already ordered the K&N.

He then said tubes and a Corsa exhaust should be next and then he said quote:
"It is no problem getting 600HP, even out of this Gen1 Viper"

well, from what I've read (at least here anyway) that is B.S.
The only 600+ HP vehicles I've seen are S/C DLM,HMS,etc. and no Gen1 vehicles over 500 HP.

I suppose it could be done but it seems far from "no problem"
and why bother on a Gen1 when the newer engines can withstand the upgrades much more effectively.

Finally, if you did want a 600HP Gen1 Viper. . .how would you go about it; AL flywheel, headers, etc would get you close to 500HP in theory, what from there? Just food for thought.

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that HP at the flywheel or rear tires? If it's at the
flywheel, then I'm in. Do a search, you'll find other GEN-I
cars posting the numbers to be in that group. Also check out
Performance parts/mods on the home page, you will find a number
of shops that have the recipe for going that high and more.
I would think minimum of, all you mentioned, high performance
head package, and a cam grind to complement the other changes.
For good measure you could stroke the motor/ extrude hone the
intake.
The key element to all this is to be able to supply enough
fuel to the cylinders, to keep your A/F ratio within specs, throughout the RPM spread.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with Max, Nitrous would do it. A blower would do it too. I wonder if you could do it any other way. I think a NA engine would have to be very high strung to get 200 more HP out of a gen 1 on pump gas. Even if you could do it, NA it would probably be very expensive and it would probably ruin the low end power.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possible? ABSOLUTELY. Our own Gary Lister (and his lovely wife Nancy) own a 1994 RT/10 with the original motor, modified by Doug Levin Motorsports. Horsepower? <FONT COLOR="purple">787.3 - <u>AT THE REAR WHEELS</u>!</FONT c> And that is without nitrous and is the SAE-corrected dyno run which we all watched here in Kansas City. Here is the original thread on it. Enjoy!

Chris

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was a proven RT with 1000bhp at the flywheel , from twin Garratt T04 modified turbo's and engine kicking about here a couple of years ago, can email a article on it if you like