640HP, or is it higher?

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems there has been some talk/word going around (as a current example: MotorAuthority article "...the engineer's think it's underrated at 640hp"), that there is more HP avaible than the 'rated 640hp'. Is this to goad the C7 crowd, or is there something more to it...and if so, when do we get the actual scoop?

BTW, I stopped over at the Corvette Forum C7 Discussion "viper/vette" thread....seems some are referring to the new Viper as a "clown shoe". I'd say GM's C7 has big shoes to fill, but I'm not signed in to post there!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When the Gen 3 was introduced 10 years ago, the inital press was 500 hhp, 500 lb feet. By the time the SAE standards were revised (more conservatively) in 2006, many Japanese cars "lost: hp, while some American cars "gained" horsepower, inclusing the Gen 3, which ended up at 510 hp, 535 lb ft.

I think Mother Mopar is being very conservative with the new car, and the inital power rating at the flywheel may come in a bit higher.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems there has been some talk/word going around (as a current example: MotorAuthority article "...the engineer's think it's underrated at 640hp"), that there is more HP avaible than the 'rated 640hp'. Is this to goad the C7 crowd, or is there something more to it...and if so, when do we get the actual scoop?

BTW, I stopped over at the Corvette Forum C7 Discussion "viper/vette" thread....seems some are referring to the new Viper as a "clown shoe". I'd say GM's C7 has big shoes to fill, but I'm not signed in to post there!

I think Mother Mopar is being very conservative with the new car, and the inital power rating at the flywheel may come in a bit higher.

They have always been conservative with the HP numbers. Which is good IMO

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am disappointed with the leaked C7 design. It looks like a GT-R in all but the nose.

I still expect it to be amazing (the non-base models). And all the better too, pushes SRT to improve the Viper.

But hell, It is hard to find Z06's under $90k anymore. Vets aren't all that cheap anymore.

bcmarly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like something Lambo Power would say.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT500 was announced at 650 and later revised to 662 so that type of thing happens... One of these reviews was touting the GT500 as the cheapest 200mph car but have they actually done that ? I heard it fell short.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No car magazines have been able to get the GT500 close to 200 mph. Dodge usually underrates their hp, as in the past other sports cars have been shown up to over rate theirs, and customers get angry.

With the latest driving reports being released it seems that Dodge has under promised, and over delivered.