VIN - another "where is it?" thread.

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to rehash something that's been discussed on here many times but I'm struggling.
...and yes, I've read tons of posts (mostly for the rt/10) that didn't help me find them.

GEN 3 - 2005
Found the windshield VIN - easy.
Need to find another for registration here in Victoria (Australia).

The Viper Registry page: http://www.theviperregistry.org/vin.php
Has some postage stamp sized pictures that don't seem to help me (call me stupid, that's fine!).

Are those pictures true for the Gen3 Vipers?
Is there somewhere with higher res pictures or pictures showing where/how on the car to see them?

The registration inspector needs to submit 2 photos of the VIN on the car before I can register it.

Thanks in anticipation!

Andy.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You need a second location for the VIN or another
picture of the VIN before you bought it?

OP
OP
ayjayef

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A second location.

The registration inspector needs to take a photo of a second VIN when he inspects it and if I can't tell him where to find it he'll charge me $120/hr to look for it.

They used to only need one, new requirements are two.

OP
OP
ayjayef

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've taken some (rough) pictures of where the Viper Registry says I should find VIN plates.

You must be registered for see images attach

Picture right hand front:
I can't see anything, I can't get at anything, I don't know where to look!

Rear of the engine, right hand side:
Can't get anywhere near the block as the brake booster is in the way after right hand drive conversion.

Lower frame rail, rear frame, right hand side.

This picture was taken through the boot with the battery cover removed.
Maybe if I had a "selfie stick" I could get a better photo but I can't see anything on top of that frame rail.

Any clues please?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I was under the impression the gen 3 engine had the VIN more toward the bellhousing than the front of the car, but I can't recall for sure where it was when I had mine out. That being said, it's possible they wouldn't match anyway if that is going to cause a problem. Not sure how they handled warranty replacement engines (maybe they started blank and were stamped to match or maybe there were something entirely different) and if a previous owner had an engine built or something it could be different. Never heard about it being on the frame rail though, and not seeing anything in my service manual about it. It only mentions the standard windshield location, though I know the engine and transmission also have something to that effect on them. Curious to see what others have to say. I would expect the frame to likely carry something like a VIN number somewhere though.

OP
OP
ayjayef

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@MoparMap - Engine having a VIN is bizarre to me, I can't think of any car I've ever owned that had that. Near the bell housing is where the Viper Registry picture said but as you can see from my picture, I can't get anywhere near that because of the RHD conversion without dropping the engine!

@googles and @daveg -
No sticker on the door jamb, I doubt they would accept that anyway as its easily counterfeited and I'm not sure they would like the engine one either.

Drivers door (RHS):

Passenger Door (LHS) has the same as above and the ***** "read seat" one:

I expect it needs to be one of the chassis vin locations but I really can't find it.

Hopefully someone here has seen a Gen 3 VIN somewhere else.

BadAzp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trucks have a metal vin tag behind the pass headlight. Has paint code and other info also.
Pic attached.
Do you see the edge of anything like that anywhere on the frame?

Attachments

• 20220828_063202.jpg
    20220828_063202.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 6

Recluse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To see the engine number you need to get under the car. Mine is stamped onto the forward-facing portion of the block.

OP
OP
ayjayef

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@BadAzp Thanks for posting the picture, that's what I've been hoping/expecting to find. Every car I've owned has had one of them on it (regardless of country of manufacture). Sadly, I can't find anything like that on the Viper.

It does have the import plate, maybe that replaces the left hand door plate.

@Recluse - Interesting that you can see yours from underneath. One of the old threads on here said you can't see it from under the car so I didn't try. I'll get a low-profile floor jack on the weekend and see what I can get to. Nice, thanks.

@daveg - this car might have had one on the left hand door jamb before it came to Australia. I don't know.

Hopefully a Gen3 owner with a soft-top (if that matters) somewhere had seen one of the frame/chassis numbers stamped and can help direct.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought some stamp numbers and stamp it yourself on a steel rail. Pick a clean area so the repaint doesn't look new.
Stamp just last 8 characters (not 6 numbers) or find the actually location of one and see what it stamped. They never stamped the whole number before but that could have changed.

Last edited:

Recluse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is what the engine stamp looks like, it's the last 8 digits of the VIN:

BadAzp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They aren't going to care about engine vin, they want body vin for vehicle integrity check

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The frame rails have a pin-stamped VIN - kind of like an old dot-matrix printer. They use a machine that rests on the frame member, program the VIN like a label maker and fire away. You'll have to feel around for a Braille pattern if you can't see it.

The transmission will also have the VIN stamped on a vertical pad on the drivers side below the shifter on the extension housing. Engine and trans numbers aren't guaranteed because of blow-ups (mismatched number) or warranty replacements (blank pad).

Attachments

• Trans VIN.jpg
    Trans VIN.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 15

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what the engine stamp looks like, it's the last 8 digits of the VIN:

Yes. Correction on my post the last 8 numbers of vin is all that is needed.
Just stamp those on the frame rail.

OP
OP
ayjayef

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The frame rails have a pin-stamped VIN - kind of like an old dot-matrix printer. They use a machine that rests on the frame member, program the VIN like a label maker and fire away. You'll have to feel around for a Braille pattern if you can't see it.

That's a good help to know that I'm not looking for a "VIN Plate" as shown in Viper Registry pictures.

Are the Viper Registry pictures the correct location for a Gen3 Viper?
(or are they just Gen1/2 locations?)

OP
OP
ayjayef

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BINGO!

Thanks to everyone here that tried to help and particularly @Steve-Indy and Brian Jones who point me in the right direction.

For others that are looking in the future:

2005 Viper GEN 3 VIN locations.

Windscreen:

Under the centre console:
(Right hand side upper frame rail)

This is the last 8 digits of the VIN, on mine it's: *5V501600* of the VIN 1B3JZ65Z75V501600

It's missing the bottom line of dots but if you squint, you can read it and it'll be enough for me to register the car in Victoria, Australia.

I didn't even have to remove the whole centre console, just the "lid" but if you have a left hand drive car the handbrake (E Brake?) might be in the way of seeing it. At least you'll know where to start hunting.

Pointing Gen3 owners to the Viper Registry pictures is frustrating, I can only assume those pictures are Gen1 and/or Gen2. Hopefully this page will be found by other Gen3 owners in the future and will save them a lot of time.

Thanks again to all that had a crack at finding this very well hidden VIN.

Andy.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Huh, that's good to know. I've had that panel off countless times at this point and never noticed that. Will have to look the next time I'm in there now just because I'm curious.

OP
OP
ayjayef

ayjayef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper manuals arrived in the post today (excited to own a set!)

Had a look for info on the VIN and it only shows the windscreen one. Attached the page here for reference for future info hunters.

Shows the:
VECI - Vehicle Emission Control Information
VIN - Vehicle Information Number
VCL - Vehicle Certification Label

FYI, my car only has the VIN, the VECI and VCL must have disappeared in the conversion to right hand drive. Also no mention of the hidden under console 8 digit VIN nor any other hidden ones if they exist.

Attachments

• 2005Viper-VIN-ServiceManual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are quite likely more hidden VIN locations all over the car. The locations are not widely disclosed so that auto theft chop shops are unlikely to scrub all the VIN info from the car. I know that back in the muscle car era, there are something like 6 parts of a Mopar car with partial VIN stamps on them. You are not going to find them unless you are doing a bare-frame restoration.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala