650 hp Mclaren Viper from DC to bridge gap in 2007 goes 0 to 60 mph in 3.5.

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Killer Snake
Is McLaren-tuned Viper headed for production?

By BOB GRITZINGER

AutoWeek | Published 06/05/06, 3:05 pm et

A hidden gem tucked away in the basement at January’s Detroit auto show was the Diamondback Viper coupe, an American Specialty Cars concept featuring a 615-hp V10 tuned by McLaren Performance Technologies.

ASC broadly winked when asked if it planned to build the car, noting the company was already aware of potential problems with the concept’s 10 air intakes poking up through the lightweight carbon fiber hood (ASC also used carbon fiber for the roof, decklid and rocker panels, shaving 85 pounds off the concept’s curb weight).

It looks like they’ve tackled the intake issue—note the holes in this prototype’s hood, caught by one of our regular spy shooters, and by a reader in Idaho Springs, Colorado. We hear this killer Viper is already producing 650 hp, which ought to be good for 0 to 60 mph in 3.5 seconds—or less.

Our best guess is Dodge will use this ASC/McLaren project to bridge a 2007 model-year gap, during which Dodge reportedly plans no regular production Vipers.

PHoto of hood: http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060606/FREE/60605031/1024

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some other rag used that same picture saying it was possibly the 2008 viper. Doesnt seem like anyone knows $hit about whats going to happen. Tons of speculation, hell that car looks pretty base srt-10 other then that hood. So whats the chance some guy just got a carbonfiber hood and put it on. Thats the most worthless spy photo I have ever seen.

Jon

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 650 hp Mclaren Viper from DC to bridge gap in 2007 goes 0 to 60 mph in

And those vents don't indicate in any way whatsoever that "they've tackled the intake issue." The new vents aren't anywhere near the intake, and even if they were they wouldn't provide the extra clearance needed for the 10 individual trumpets on the concept car. Makes you wonder how clueless the people are who write these sorts of things.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'll take the other side (for just a minute)

-Is anyone advertising a 'new' hood or prototype here? No.
-The car has Michigan plates. This would lean me towards it being a DC prototype
- The hood is professionally masked. Small companies want you to see what they are working on, big companies do not.
-The exhaust pipes stick WAY out (?)
-All the rumors posted here previously seem to fit the story we already know.
1)More HP on the way, need bigger vents to let the heat out?
2)Prototypes running the streets of Michigan?
3)No production for 2007?
4)McLaren involvement?

650 na hp sounds fine to me!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

2) yes prototypes running on streets of michigan my neighbor called me(too late) to catch one parked around the block from my house 3 weeks ago!

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what's up with not making VIPERs in 2007, I didn't know that???

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everyone shouldn't get so worked up about different rumors you hear. You shouldnt be UPSET about hearing certain things, or HAPPY about them. Just take it for what it is, a rumor. Soon enough everyone will know whats going to happen. Just enjoy what you have now. I could care less about more horspower. Make the car closer to 3000 lbs. End of story.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For me, I don’t mind MB/McLaren sharing ideas and info with Dodge/CAAP to improve on the Gen IV Viper, but I would not like to see a McLaren badge on it. To me the Viper is everything that epitomizes American “ hence my license plate USPWR” and to put McLaren on it is too euro for me, but if it’s 650 hp, forget everything I said. I’m buying one:)

Also, 650hp seems like a very tall order to fill, but with that number such the buzz around here, and in some magazines, could it be? I think now if the Gen IV come in much lower than that 650 mark, it may feel like a failure on DC part. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< hell that car looks pretty base srt-10 other then that hood. >>

i agree with this and doubt the car in the pic is the new 2007 or 2008 or any other year for that matter.

is it possible that (DC/Mclaren?) is simply testing a new motor in a current SRT? i am willing to bet that if a new body style exists, that it is under HUGE WRAPS.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<< hell that car looks pretty base srt-10 other then that hood. >>

i agree with this and doubt the car in the pic is the new 2007 or 2008 or any other year for that matter.

is it possible that (DC/Mclaren?) is simply testing a new motor in a current SRT? i am willing to bet that if a new body style exists, that it is under HUGE WRAPS.

Correct. The carin the photos is nothing but a drivetrain mule. The hood has extra vents for improved circulation around the engine they are testing in it (8.4L MPI). 650HP is the number I've been hearing for the production version. This 8.4L engine has made over 700HP on the dyno during earlier testing, but will not debut at that level.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hopefully i get my damn school ******** done with by 08 so i can pick one up lol :eek:

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When traveling to denver from western kansas on interstate 70 I remember seeing the new Ram series trucks (about 3-5 of them) either heading west or east with nearly all black wheels, paint, etc, and Michigan plates. A few times I see them coming down from the mountains. I'm guessing they do high elevation stuff...who knows.

The Idaho Springs comment in the article may be true given what I've personally seen a few years ago. I'll keep an eye out for a Viper (always do anyway). The CO/UT chapter will be heading to georgetown (west of idaho springs) for the July 4 festivities...maybe one of them will see the "new" Viper too.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From the pic it also looks like there is something sneaky in the rear valance - probably additional fuel pumps for the added power.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

4030viper1.jpg

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey look! Locking hood for the Gen IV :)

4030bilde.jpg

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Maybe there is a big secret under that hood that they do not want anyone to know about? Hum.. Can not wait to see this in person. 650HP is going to be crazy!!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

actually mclaren(bruce) was a kiwi(new zelander i believe, which is why mclarens logo is a kiwi((bird, not the fruit)) and although mclaren racing cars is centered in the uk that's not where it has it's roots, additionally mclaren racing engines is located in livonia,michigan. they also teamed up with asc to produce some of the coolest looking capris and mustangs in the '80's

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

a Mclaren viper sounds Sick!!! I just hope they keep a V-10 in it

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

probably gonna have 650 hp but it will be in a 4 door SRT.

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From Allpar...

Fourth Generation Dodge Viper and Chrysler Firepower Rumors

From a source who would probably prefer to remain nameless: “The 2008 Dodge Viper is solid - much faster and sleeker, while still keeping the twin **** in top (on coupe models) but with a whole new front end that’s sharper and more menacing.”

From “oh20:” “Late next summer the last 2006 Viper will roll off the lines. When the employees return to work the following January, a little over 14 months from now, they will be building the new generation "ZC" 2008 models. The 2007 model year is going to be skipped.”

Given the recent showing of a McLaren Viper, and rumors about the current V10 being “made over” by an external firm, it seems almost certain that the 2008 Dodge Viper will use a McLaren-massaged V10 engine, probably the one shown at SEMA in the ASC Diamondback Viper. That engine was rated at 615 hp, a fat 110 hp more than the current version; that Viper could do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, a few tenths better than the current model in a genre where a few tenths are a big difference. The ASC model did have substantial weight reduction with expensive carbon fiber, but then, McLaren might not have been showing all their engine could do; we’ve been told to expect 700 hp but we suspect 650 is more realistic.

Other rumors were not particularly credible - using the Mercedes V12 (character reducing and not appreciated by the *********), a V10 Hemi (too much development expense and potentially poor emissions), a turbocharged V10 (not desired by current owners), and an even bigger Hemi V8 (V10 seen as core to Viper’s brand). The current Viper engine, based on the LA V8 family introduced decades ago, most likely has quite a bit of untapped potential which could come to life at the hands of expert builders such as McLaren - and that’s without even thinking about technologies such as variable valve timing.

A Chrysler version of the Viper is almost certainly in the works. The Firepower may be a look at what's to come - it's a Hemi-powered, Viper-chassis Chrysler that would be cheaper to make, and would add to the volume of the Viper chassis, helping to spur profitability. By using a standard-production drivetrain, it's no doubt much cheaper to make - and performance is still respectable with a Corvette-like 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. (Keep in mind it's an automatic.) The Firepower is said to have definitely been approved.

MK2_Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree with forge, if this is even real, I hope it is a coupe.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my guess and i say guess is that there will be both coupe and convertables. the next car like the current one, from what i have been told will also be evolutionary not revolutionary.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When traveling to denver from western kansas on interstate 70 I remember seeing the new Ram series trucks (about 3-5 of them) either heading west or east with nearly all black wheels, paint, etc, and Michigan plates. A few times I see them coming down from the mountains. I'm guessing they do high elevation stuff...who knows.

The Idaho Springs comment in the article may be true given what I've personally seen a few years ago. I'll keep an eye out for a Viper (always do anyway). The CO/UT chapter will be heading to georgetown (west of idaho springs) for the July 4 festivities...maybe one of them will see the "new" Viper too.

My old neighbor was a trucker who used to do runs to the western slope daily. When he got back one afternoon he told me he had seen 4 Ford GT's driving on some switch backs in the mountains. That was months before the production began.
The big hills of Colorado are a good low-key test site for any number of vehicles.
Dave, you wanna swing up to Greeley and pick me up so we can head to Idaho Springs this weekend :2tu: ?

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I werent working I would. I did alot of 4-wheelin up there near St Marys Glacier...ahh the memories. Maybe the "new" Viper can make a cameo at Breckenridge with the CO/UT chapter on the 4th of July.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's probably the LAST place the mule will be on the 4th. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang