6th gear

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, at 100+ you should still be in third :)

And I do believe keeping it in the correct performance gear IS driving harder. Sixth is a wussy gear.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Steve you aren't a wussy, and I short shift with the best of them. There is no need to live at the top of the cam with these motors, as the power is strong up to only 5600 or so. It doesn't need to be driven like a S2000 and using the gears judiciously , as Steve does, makes sense if you want the engine to live a long time.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill thanks for coming to my rescue :) ..........(with 7 series championships under my belt I was starting to question my driving ability) By the way Bill I have been toying with trading in a M-3 I have for a SRT keep it in mind if a extra special deal comes around :)

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I uses 6th on Ocean Parkway with a few Vipers. I was around 168 mph!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine stock would not pull 168 in 6th. With K&N and modified exhaust (455 RWHP) would barely pull to 160.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never run 6th gear unless i am doing 80 mph on a long trip. I use 4th most of the time up to 65 and then 5th. If you guys want to loose some of your heat problem switch to Royal Purple Lubes, my oil temp is running 20 degrees cooler. We have been runnoing RP lubes in our race cars for the last 5 years and find it to be surperior to Mobil 1.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yo Black ,you never ran 168 who are you kiddng .........and I know first hand you never ran over 80mph through a turn ...always post the trueth or you will be called out :)

S

SUN RA KAT

No need for 6th. I purchased the Viper for performance not fuel economy. 6th offers no throttle response, regardless of the speed, and even with the Paxton acceleration in 6th is on par with a minivan!

Pulls like a train in 6th gear with the Roe Supercharger. Light pedal takes it from 70 to 100 MPH in just seconds. A few more seconds has it at 140 MPH. I get 18-19+ MPG at 80 MPH.

That said, 5th gear and 4th gear are for fun. 3rd gear and lower are for scaring yourself. :D