708 Cam in a Creampuff?

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning on installing a 708 cam in my 2001 GTS and was wondering if there are any other mods that are necessary to make it work properly, such as adjustable timing set, new lifters, etc? I was told by a reputable source that a reflash of my PCM would have the same effect as an adjustable timing set. I'll also be installing a set of BTR Stage II heads with stiffer springs so I'm concerned that the lifters will be up to the task. This is all part of my SC upgrade and I'll be using a VEC2.

Your thoughts are most appreciated.

Thanks!

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jim, I think you should go with the Comp cam. I'm sure the 708 cam will work well, but while you are going to all this trouble and expense, you should try to get the most from your setup. Flashing the PCM will not do the same as an adjustable timing set. Changing PCM maps will only change your fuel and ignition timing curves. While these curves can be optimized for a particular setup, it still has a different effect than cam timing. An adjustable timing set lets you adjust the way the cam is installed which directly impacts your valve timing in relation to the crank position. If you advance your cam on the install, you move the powerband lower in the rpm range and if you retard it the powerband moves higher. This is a result of the valve timing events changing cylinder pressures during operation as well of a muriad of other things. There's a lot to cams as they are the brains of the engine, so read up on it and learn as much as you can.

I don't know what kind of spring pressures you are going to be running, but I'm sure BTR is taking into account that you are running hydraulic lifters and probably won't put too much spring for your lifters to handle. As far as aftermarket lifters, there aren't many options. Crower sells an "upgrade" but it turns out they are actually made by Sealed Power. I think Sealed Power may be OEM lifters anyway. Most OEM style lifters are made by the same companies like Sealed Power and Clevite. I'd say most people who have done engine mods are probably still running OEM style lifters. You could always go with Jesel solid rollers. They are a bargain at $2,500 a set. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ryan,
Thank you for the info. I received conflicting information from some tuners regarding the Comp cam I bought from you. Some said that I shouldn't have any problem with it and others said there was no way that cam would pass emissions and would lose driveability as it was a drag racing cam. :confused:

It sounds like that’s where your recommendation of installing it with 2 degrees of timing advance comes into play.

With what you wrote above, I think I might go ahead and use your cam. My main concern is passing emissions and drivability. Were you able to pass emissions with the cam?

I was told that Sealed Power (Federal Mogul) made a good aftermarket lifter, so I might look into those.

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't have to pass emissions in my state, so I can't say whether or not it will pass. I hate to tell you that it will pass and then you go to the trouble of installing it and failing. Is there not a way to get around those types of things in your area? Any buddies in the inspection business? I've heard some people say that with big cams they got check engine lights from misfire codes, but I never got any codes due to the cam. As far as drivability, you should be able to tune it with the VEC2 to have pretty good street manners. It has a wide LSA (115) to make it work pretty well for the street. With that wide LSA comes less overlap, so it may be a little better for emissions. Joseph Dell I think has a bigger cam in his DLM car than the one you have (not positive). Maybe he can chime in and tell if it passes emissions or not.

Something I have learned from working on my own car and having to make decisions like cam selection; everyone has their own opinion on what works best for a particular setup. Some guys are probably right on and some are probably off a little bit. The challenge is determining which one is right on. I guess what you have to do is learn as much possible and make an educated decision on what will work best for you.

ViperRichRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Emissions is simply a "check engine light" checker now in most states. If the light comes on, you fail. I'm not sure, but change your PCM to a '96 PCM and you should be ok. Then again, what do I know!

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if I were to install a 708 cam in my 2001, is there anything I need to do to make it work or can I just put the cam in and be good to go?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can anybody tell me what the specs are for the comp coupe cam? i need to know what the intake and exhuast specs are for the lift and the duration @ .050? also what is the LSA?

HOdbleFman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim, if you must, the 708 cam will work fine with no other modifications. It's really not that much different than your stock cam. Just be careful when you put the cam sensor back into the timing cover. Make sure that you have proper clearance between the nose of the sensor and the high spot on the cam gear. There is a brief section in the shop manual about re-installing the sensor. If you install it at the low spot on the gear, the nose of it will get destroyed (been there).

OP
OP
J

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, I still need to educate myself (as you recommended) on camshafts. I would really like to go with the Comp cam, I just want to be sure it's the way to go.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the 708 cam in my 01 and it works great with the 96 computer. car is a bit more lumpier and my shiftpoints are a bit higher.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang