80k 96 GTS Driver's Window Regulator Blew

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
80k 96 GTS Driver\'s Window Regulator Blew

The window was pretty slow going up, then a pop and now I have a roadster.

Looks like I will have to get into the doorand repair the regulator.

Is this a common failure/repair?

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: 80k 96 GTS Driver\'s Window Regulator Blew

Just replaced one in a '97 about a month ago. . . wasn't the regulator, but the retaining clip that held the window broke. had to replace the whole unit.

treed

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As an additional comment, you might want to check the wiring for a short first. that seems to be more common than a regulator dying... seems that the wires tend to get pinched at the hinges.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it popped, I put my money on the clip holding the window to the guide. Happened on my passenger side once; took off the door cover and vapor barrier and re-affixed. It was my fault since I had recently replaced the weather stripping on the outside dorr handle and had not properly aligned the moldings when reinstalling.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Treed,

Your pinched wiring is interesting since I was trying to raise the window with the door open!

Hate to hear more of the "small little replaceable part broke but I had to replace the entire assembly."

Reminds me when I broke my gas pedal and had to replace the entire pedal assembly under warranty. That is ridiculous.

I bet the clip went.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you ever find the plastic window regulator guide? I need to buy one mine broke as well. It would really be great if you could pass on any information for me.

1997GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just fixed my passenger window for the second time last weekend. About 6 months ago the clip broke and I found one on ebay and was able to replace that. This time, the motor went out so I had to do the entire assembly.

A few suggestions after 3 times off and on with the whole door:
* Take it apart and assess what went wrong before ordering a lot of parts if you think you don't want to spring the $600 for the whole regulator. Big thing to check is if the cords going in the regulator are not damaged and run back and forth smoothly.
* If its the clip (white plastic on drivers side/black plastic on passenger) see if it broke the holder for the gold metal retaining clip or if the window just came out. If you just broke the plastic you can find them on ebay.
* If the system isn't going well, spring for the whole assembly as the regulators seem to have problems as well.

I have been ordering parts from https://www.dodgeparts.com/oe_parts_catalog.html , its a dealer just a ton cheaper than local dealers.

When you do the window, I would suggest a large piece of cardboard and draw a diagram of the door. Tons of small screws, all different sizes in a lot of wierd places. Need to take off speaker, then door handle release (slide surround back to get the last screw in that area) and get the outer screws hidden along edge of carpeted door panel. If it doesn't come off easy, you missed a screw (like 2 inside speaker area.)

The regulator has 3 bolts and then 2 for top and 1 on bottom of slider area. All 10mm. Pretty quick once you can find things. Keep window up to be out of way.