91 Oct, CA, DLM Engine?...

Reaction score
Problem (if you want to call it that):

I'm a few weeks away from receiving my Doug Levin Super Stage "God-knows-what" engine, and I live in California (like Treynor). Doug originally told me to mix 4 gals of 104+ oct with my usual tank of 91 oct CA gas...

I don't want to drive to Sears Point every time I need a fill-up. Does anybody out there get fuel delivered to their residence? If so, and it's legal, how does one go about doing that? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

SlowCreamPuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having race fuel at home is nice.
supergrin.gif

But the fire department or your neighbors might not be too happy about it. If you want to be legal, you should check with your fire department. They should be able to tell you what's the proper way to have the fuel stored (if they allow that at all).

I run ERC race fuel all the time.

A nice pump for those 55-gallon drums is also a nice to have.

Feel free to email me if you want details. I used up 165 gallons of 104 last summer. I just received 110 gallons of 110 for the winter.
supergrin.gif

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two 76 Gas stations that still have 100 octane unleaded pump gas. 1 is located in SF and the other in San Jose. I think you can arrange with them to get 50 or 100 gallon drums delivered to your residence.

However, I might recommend that you get the timing ******** a enough so you can run on 91 Octane. Yes, you will loose some power (but it's not like any of Doug's S/C Vipers are lacking in poewr anyway), but better that than getting stranded somewhere on a road trip, filling up with 91, and having some damaging detonation occur.

We also sell a race fuel concentrate. Add 1 can of this to a tank of gas....and PRESTO....no more detonation. Makes it easyt to keep a couple extra cans in the trunk too, so you can fill up anywhere. This is not the typical crap you see on the shelves of the local auto store, this stuff really works! Dyno proven on several cars that had pinging on 91 octane, and was gone after adding it. In fact, we were even able to advance timing in most cases after adding it to make even more power.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly, I got a call from Doug while I was reading your post, so we discussed your car a bit
smile.gif
You won't need to run any race gas in your fuel tank -- in fact, Doug has never built a car which needed race gas in the main fuel tank -- and with the intercooler you won't have any detonation problems with CA pump gas.

FWIW, in my opinion if you were road-racing your car on a hot day and wanted to run cooler, you could always throw a few gallons of 100-104 unleaded in there for peace of mind; however, for street or drag use it would be a waste and would in fact probably make your car run a touch slower since high-octane unleaded has slightly lower energy content per unit volume.

If you eventually run NOS on top of the blower, I'd definitely run race gas in the main tank, since NOS substantially increases the cylinder pressure.

Reaction score
Dan -

There is no need to run race fuel in your car. We may have spoken about mixing fuels in the past but it is not necessary for your car with the system you have.

You could always run a mix of unleaded race fuel and pump gas for endurance racing but the way your car is built, 91 octane will suffice.

Feel free to contact me anytime and I will go over the details with you or Chris.

Regards,
Doug Levin

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Supercharged Vipers:

There is no need to run race fuel in your car. We may have spoken about mixing fuels in the past but it is not necessary for your car with the system you have.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah!!!!!

That's great news! You're right Doug, it was several months ago that we discussed fuel. I'm glad things have changed. It obviously pays to go for the higher Stages. I'm very glad to hear this, and it is a credit to your skill to produce such an engine!

Thanks to everyone else for your imput as well.