'93 / '92 owners need your advice!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\'93 / \'92 owners need your advice!

Okay guys, here's the deal, I have been lookin for six months now, and keep falling upon 92's and 93's in my price range. Most have less than 12k and are in great shape. The only problem is I talked to Obie Won Jon and he advises to get at least a 94, and best bet is to get a 95.
You guys that own 93's and 2's, let me here from you. I know about that nasty Gen I (early) head gasket problem, but is it that many that have failed? Are there cars out there with big miles and little miles with no problems? Guys that run the sh*t out of their cars lets here from you, any major problems as compared to your 94 and 95 Gen I siblings? Is the dealer installed a/c on a 92/93 as good a the factory install on a 94?
And what about this 93 fuzzy dash thing? The car will not be a daily driver probaply 3-5k per year. Please help, I'm banging my head against the wall!
THANKS!!

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: \'93 / \'92 owners need your advice!

Stay away from a '92 unless you're a collector. (garage queen) '93's are better, but still not the best G-I. '94-'95's the ticket. I've got a client's clean '95 with Edelbrock headers and shocks for 43k. Stay away from the "early" Gen-I's.dj

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm pondering selling my '94 w/19k. No A-C. It just
rains here too much to truly appreciate the car.
If I keep it, I should probably just put it away.
What are you thinking of spending ?

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just turned 16,000 miles on my 93. The only problem I ever had was the battery. I have road raced all over the States, used Red Line or Royal Purple Oil, am now on my second set of tires, and I still smile every time I drive it. And yes, I would buy another one!

Are the newer models better? There is no true answer to that question. But in Viper land, it seems to be more about the specific Viper rather than the entire year.

If you find something, just run it through a thurough inspection.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had my 92 for 7 weeks now. I have put about 4000 miles on it.

The car sat for a while before I bought it. There are some minor problems as the result.

Bought a hardtop for it. Bought aftermarket windows.
Both factory side curtains and windows leak in the rain.

I do not have AC. I does get hot in the car when the windows and top are in it.

Do I like this car? I absolutely love this car. Without a doubt.

Seems to me that people are asking the car to be something other than what it is.

It is an un-civilized, balls to the wall, sports car.

Power? Plenty
Curb appeal? It is amazing!
Affordable? about the same money as a low milage C5 Corvette.
Best of all- Its still a **** Viper.

Like any other car it will require maintanance, and attention to detail. It is a used car.

Every year has it's quirks.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I will buying a new viper near year end. I have a perfect Red 94 with 11k on the speedo. It has several after-market options and dyno's over 400rwhp and 475 ft lb's. It will go on sale before year end. I will email you allthe details.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have #68 in '93 and I have not had any major problems, just mind boggleing things. They are not bad if you have A/C. The gaskets, are all OK and i have 7600 miles on it and still stock tires until next month. To each his own.........