94 Clutch problem?

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone has had a clutch master cylinder fail, what are the symptoms? Sometimes I can't get into gear without a clunck, then other times fine. I have no fluid loss at the clutch MS reservoir,and nothing on the floor. Tranny shifts fine with the engine off. :dunno:

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bet the slave cylinder is on the way out. I'm currently replacing the slave cylinder on mine that had similar symptoms. Never had a drop of fluid on the floor either but after I removed the bottom cover the bell housing was damp.

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone has had a clutch master cylinder fail, what are the symptoms? Sometimes I can't get into gear without a clunck, then other times fine. I have no fluid loss at the clutch MS reservoir,and nothing on the floor. Tranny shifts fine with the engine off. :dunno:

Probably not the same thing,but mine was hard shifting and i took it to the mechanic who found out i had a broken shifter. Good luck!:drive:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you end up thinking it's the hydraulics, you can diagnose it further by draining the brake fluid and replacing it with SAE 0W20 full synthetic motor oil.

Use a synthetic because a mineral oil will cause the seals to swell. (Not that there are mineral oil 0W20 oils anyway.) If the "feel" is better and it works like it should, then either you were low on fluid before, or the fluid was leaking past the seals of the slave cylinder. The 0W20 is thicker (higher viscosity) than brake fluid and leaks less.

I had a "failing" clutch system and first replaced the fluid with an aircraft hydraulic fluid. I also put a gasket from an earlier clutch system in a jar, along with the aircraft hydraulic fluid. After a few days the gasket was noticeably larger (and softer.) I frantically replaced the hydraulic fluid with the engine oil, then after another week, flushed with more engine oil. It has cured the original problem and I haven't had any leak or problem since. Of course, my experiment gone wild could fail tomorrow because the seals have been softened too much (but this was several years ago.)

If the 0W20 works for you, great. I would give it a month and flush back to brake fluid. It you want to take a risk (my experiment is one of one, so 100% success, but no repeatability or reproducibility) you could leave the 0W20 oil in the system. If it fails, you were looking at replacing it anyway, as those are classic symptoms.

OP
OP
R

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed the clutch,slave,master,and found that the pedal assy bushings wore out, then tore up the bracket causing the clutch pedal to hit the floorboard before engaging the clutch.......all fixed now, me happy!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang