94' head gasket project

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 94' has 12,000 miles on it now and no signs of any head gasket leaks, but I'm a little tired of thinking about head gasket failure every time I drive it. The car does not overheat even when the air is on and runs great. So, I'm in the process of gathering parts and info to do the job. A good friend of mine is a very good mechanic, has done a set before and is going to perform the job with me by his side. I already bought a shop manual (which he already had) plugs and wires. I also will buy the whole gasket package before we start. I will be also buying ARP stud kit. Here are my questions.

1. Should I get a 180 thermostat?
2. Are there any other parts to replace once I'm this far?
3. Should I do any other upgrades? Not real interested in huge power gains but more reliability for the long haul?
4. Are there any other potential problems to look for once motor is apart.

I'm actually looking forward to this project to really learn about my car.

Thanks - Ron

OP
OP
R

ront/10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mr. Tator, thanks for talking with me today. You were more than helpful.

Ron

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd wait to do the job until after the driving season, and also have the heads sent off to Greg Good for porting/polishing. I'd also probably replace the rockers and springs while I was at it. If you've ever thought about headers, that would be a good time to do those, too :) As long as you have the heads off, may as well take advantage of that sunk labor to get other things done while it's apart.

BOMBOVIPER93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron,

I've done hundreds of GENI head gaskets including mine. I've got lots of tips for you and all the parts are in stock. :cool:

Anytime: http://forums.viperclub.org/vendor-review-tators-garage/

Chuck

Woke up this morning feeling a little dirty knowing that I am one of hundreds Chuck....but you did seem to know what you were doing, it felt pretty good afterwards and its now been a couple years and I haven't had any "after effects" so I guess everything is still good between us. I'll give you a call when I need you again Big Boy!:D

Wait a minute..... now that I think about it....I did get a couple "lumps" from that extra long 708 cam!:omg:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang