94 RT/10 for sale $40,000

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Along those lines, do you guys get an exhorbinant amount of e-mails/calls about your car when they are advertised online?

I have my car on autotrader for the last week and half and I have gotten about 50 calls and a dozen e-mails. The craziest questions like does it have power seats and is it an automatic?

I am sure that there are plenty of speculators who want to buy an 'exotic' car. These are the folks that will pay the most for a car.

To my own demise I am sure, I tell these people to visit their local VCA get together and get to know these cars in person and understand what they are getting themselves into before they give me $35k for my 8 year old car.

In hindsight I should have taken the money and ran. Maybe it is my fear of that whole karma thing.

Trying to establish a high-end precedent with those who take time to post/read this board is fruitless. Selling anything to it's critics is a difficult proposition.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cp2viper:

I've resisted posting but now its time.

It is quite ironic to me that the overall tone of this group is that our cars are very under valued.

Yet, when you 'ask' for what you (and others) would think the car is worth (considering the FACT that they are not now and never will make one like it again) you get slammed, is truly sad.

I say hold out until you get what you think its worth. Don't let anyone sway your opinion.

The law of supply and demand WILL come into play. 'We' own one of the most unique cars in the WORLD and we should expect better than the resale value of a ford, nissan or toyota.

I didn't buy my car as an investment, and it is certainly NOT a garage queen but I do value it and would NEVER give it away.

Hopefully, you won't give yours away either.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cp2viper,
I don't believe much of your story.

People don't just forget to mention that a car has high miles. Not when it's 60k miles.

I don't believe the story about why the car has had the quarters repainted.

I think that you know very well what the car should sell for.

Low miles, almost new condition gen1 Vipers MAY bring $40k.
Your car isn't in that class.

You are trying to find a sucker to buy your high miles driver. It offends me that you would sign up for the board just to post an ad for your overpriced car.
You are trying to take advantage of someone who may be foolish enough to buy your car for an inflated price.

And, on top of all that, cp2viper,
you sound like you have a few screws loose.

Complaints that some have brought up concerning me saying what I thought about this car have not, I believe, been well thought out.
What is the reason for this board? I'd say that the main reason is to help Viper owners and enthusiasts.

Do we help those people by keeping quiet about an attempt to sell a ****** at an inflated price?

No, I don't see anything wrong with saying what I think is the truth about a deal like this.

Had cp2viper put an ad in the classified I wouldn't have said anything but when it's on the discussion board, I'm going to discuss it.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cp2viper,
I don't believe much of your story.

People don't just forget to mention that a car has high miles. Not when it's 60k miles.

I don't believe the story about why the car has had the quarters repainted.

I think that you know very well what the car should sell for.

Low miles, almost new condition gen1 Vipers MAY bring $40k.
Your car isn't in that class.

You are trying to find a sucker to buy your high miles driver. It offends me that you would sign up for the board just to post an ad for your overpriced car.
You are trying to take advantage of someone who may be foolish enough to buy your car for an inflated price.

And, on top of all that, cp2viper,
you sound like you have a few screws loose.

Complaints that some have brought up concerning me saying what I thought about this car have not, I believe, been well thought out.
What is the reason for this board? I'd say that the main reason is to help Viper owners and enthusiasts.

Do we help those people by keeping quiet about an attempt to sell a ****** at an inflated price?

No, I don't see anything wrong with saying what I think is the truth about a deal like this.

Had cp2viper put an ad in the classified I wouldn't have said anything but when it's on the discussion board, I'm going to discuss it.

I agree with Joe. Joining this board just to try to rip people off, then getting bent out of shape when anyone offers criticism, would help to give Viper owners a bad name.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
JOE117:

Just curious, how much do you feel your Viper is worth?

Is this guy trying to rip someone off - I dont' think so - but don't know for sure and would not accuse him without knowing the facts. I would say that some of the low-ball estimates would be a rip-off for the seller.

Should he have paid to post his advertisement in the Classifieds or have joined the VCA - Yes.

Guys - get a clue - you are doing nothing to add to the value of OUR Vipers. If you don't care about the value of YOUR Viper - do the rest of us a favor and keep your expert opinions to yourselves!

As I stated earlier - there are NO MORE, NONE, NADA - ORIGINAL Vipers being built! :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is my car worth?
I have a high miles Viper. It has 107k. The engine was replaced under warranty at 95k due to head gaskets.

When I bought the car it had about 100k on it and it needed many mechanical parts replaced. A local Dodge dealer did that work for about $5k.
You name it, its been replaced.

I replaced almost everything in the interior with new or like new. Dash and all dash parts, steering wheel, seats, top, sliding side curtains, hard top, toneau, bra and wheels from a 97.

I put in a 3.55 rear and the car has new kouhmo sticky tires. It has Belanger cat backs.

I had the car repainted in the black that it has always been.

It's a very nice driver and I have about $37k in it.

I think if I wanted to sell it I might get $26k if I was lucky.

Now, all that being said, I don't believe that what I think my car is worth has anything to do with this guy trying to get $40k for a car that is probably not in as good shape as mine.

I don't think he should be able to ask 25%+ over the real value of his car, on the discussion board, without someone pointing that out.
What are we supposed to do? Are we to pretend that this would be a fair deal?
If a board regular like Francisco asked, would you say "buy it"?

I believe this guy is just using the board for advertising his car and nothing else. His first post is an attempt to sell.

Again, I believe the reason this board is here is to help Viper owners. We are not helping anyone by going along with this guy's attempt.
I don't believe I low balled the car at all. I do believe that the $30k I mentioned would actually be more than he could really expect to get for it.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its funny how this board & only this board see 60K miles as high on a 94. i have 65K+ on mine right now, & many times when i take it out people can't believe how little that is & how new the car looks.

just last night someone asked me, and was impressed someone actually had the discipline to only drive it 6K/yr

it's relatively high in comparison to others on this board, but overall not many to other non-viper owners. some people care more about condition than mileage cuz they wanna drive the hell out of it. i happen to be one of those people.

i am not implying he should get 40K for his car, but not everyone will dismiss it immediately due to "high miles". some look beyond the ticker.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am all for keeping the value of my viper, and all others, high. I think it was more about the way the guy went about it.

I think Joe is right when he says that since this was posted in the discussion forum, it is open to discussion.

I could be wrong, but to me, something about this car just doesn't add up.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, as you say,
"i am not implying he should get 40K for his car, but not everyone will dismiss it immediately due to "high miles". some look beyond the ticker."

He may find someone who doesn't know any better.

High miles? 60k on a 10 year old car. I agree with that too. Almost any other car and 6k/year would be low miles.

However, that's the way people look at Vipers. 60k is high miles for our cars. A Viper with that kind of miles and with body parts repainted, is going to bring less than average price.
You can't argue with that, that's just the way it is.

Considering what other Vipers one can buy for $40k, if someone were to pay him $40k for his 94, they would have been taken.
Do you want to let him do that?

And one more thing,
In case any of you haven't noticed, this is the internet.
Anything that look's a little like a rip on the internet probably is a rip.
When a guy comes on here with his first post and says something like, "I'm *** *** the teacher from ***", like we are supposed to know him?
It look's fishy to me. On the internet if it look's fishy it probably is.

viper585

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Joe said
I think if I wanted to sell it I might get $26k if I was lucky.

I believe that is right on.I sold my 108,000 mile 94 for 25,and it didnt have the work yours had .60,000 miles is considered extremely high for a Viper,not for an S-10 or even a Vette.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I feel much better. I was contacted by a VCA member, who shall rename nameless, that told me that my 96 RT with 35k miles and 3 years left on the DC warranty (beautiful car I might add) was only worth $25k. He has seen a bunch of similar cars sell for that.

Why bother to call if you are going to insult me. Geesh. And, since I am sure the afforementioned is reading this, let us know who/where sold their cars for that price.

Negotiating is one thing. A swift kick to the lower abdomen is another. Sorry for the threadjack.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(96 RT with 35K and warranty for $25K)

That's completely absurd. If anyone has a 96 RT with 35K miles, 3 year warranty and in mint/excellent condition for sale for only $25k, I will buy it and sit it next to my other 96 Viper.

A 96 in excellent condition with decent mileage will sell for low 40's. It happens all the time. High 30's at the very lowest for one with some miles.

Again, and I am serious, I will buy any 96 RT with 35K miles or less with warranty for $25K. If it has had previous damage, don't bother getting hold of me, that's a completely different story.

We'll put this ridiculous talk to rest real fast.

I think some people who are saying these things have hidden agendas.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"A 96 in excellent condition with decent mileage will sell for low 40's. It happens all the time. High 30's at the very lowest for one with some miles."

Low $40s for a 96 R/T with 35k miles?

For high to mid $40s I've seen 2001 and 2002 GTSs. They have been talked about on this board and the discussion seemed to go that this was not that unusual these days.

I'm not here to try to low ball anyone's dream car. I'm just telling it like it is. There are plenty of guys trying to sell gen1s at inflated prices. Some people are buying them.
However, some people need to sell right away and so there are also plenty of late R/Ts and GTSs that are on the market for a quick sale at low prices.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe said....
"For high to mid $40s I've seen 2001 and 2002 GTSs. They have been talked about on this board and the discussion seemed to go that this was not that unusual these days."

Sorry I'm gonna call crap on this one. Now you're draggin' MY resale down. I'm a real regular reader here and if that happened I would have been a buyer of one at that price for sure. If it happened it was REAL high miles or a salvage title, or an EBay deal that we will never know if it was honored or not. Or a completely suspect EBay deal.

Second point. Let's all remember that we've just been through a recession. Guys may have bailed because they had no choice and had to have money to save their house or business if the tide suddenly turned against them. We're pretty well out of that now. AND we had a few guys who had more money than brains who wanted out quickly when their SRT came and who really did not care how much they lost. At that time there were leftover 2002s being given away by dealers who had to move them thereby driving down the prices of the used cars.
All of the above has caused a down market in used Gen 1 and 2. Anybody who watches these prices regularly will see that has changed. Prices are up in the last 2-3 months. There are no more RT10's or GTS's being built and there is still a steady market of buyers who want one and not an SRT. Anybody holding will only see their value go up at this point. The fact that they were very limited production will only add to that trend.

dootime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought a bone stock mint condition 94 RT for 28k with 40,000 miles on it, a month ago. I shopped and shopped for a good deal. The guy was asking 33k. Just my .02

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats doo. I think you got a very fair deal.

Just FYI, I did not sell my car to the guy who offered me $25k. I am not trying to make a 'boat load' off my car. If the price is out of line I am assume that the market will tell me and I'll have my RT for a long time. From what I have seen $34.5k is not out of line for a 96 RT with essential upgrades (quality hard top and windows and 3 years of warranty left) for my car.

Remains to be seen.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Andy.

Joe, I have no idea what your motivation is but you are quoting the lowest prices I have ever heard of. They may have happened, but they are certainly not the norm. The price we should be suggesting is the average price for a given car and condition. NOT the lowest EBAy price you have seen.

I agree that we should not be providing a bias that results in a buyer getting taken. But we should be supporting high resale prices in general for our cars. Providing a "lowest possible price" as reflective of the norm is counter-productive to all owners. Any owner who does this has a screw loose.

As an aside anything less than 30K and it is probably more profitable to part the car out. I really would not want the existing cars to meet the butcher just because some of us are low balling resale values.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been very naive about Viper pricing. My '02 GTS is virtually perfect and has low miles. I decided to sell and buy a new car. I calculated 1000/mo. depreciation but have not been able to sell.
Almost wish I was in the market for a used Viper.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does this sound better:

94 - original owner, 10k miles, warranty, free shipping, garage kept, tubes/filters, Zaino, Borla, new head gaskets, new rubber, absolutely no issues. $31k

OK let's piss on this one! ROTFLOL!!!!

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what I don't understand. Buyers and sellers have no idea about structuring price for Vipers...

How is it that a GenI RT/10,everyone thinks is worth nearly 40k or OVER 40k? 5 years ago I bought my 84 RT/10 for 38k. Give me a freaking break.
Then on another thread the same people with say a 98 or 99 RT/10 or GTS is worth low to mid 40's. Please... A GenI RT/10 vs a Gen II 98 or 99 GTS is only worth 3-5k difference and at times, same value?? HAHAHAH

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great example Joe. Bought by a dealer to resell. Why would he do that if that was the true value? A 2001 should be more like 60-65k thus the dealer was looking to make 10k (he really got it for 53,900 (not the ebay stated price). Check with them and see what they listed the GTS for http://www.imagemotorsmadison.com/index.html

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Image Motors is a very classy place. :cool: I like the high quality pictures and the 94 Civic is a classic...

Are you sure they can afford a Viper?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine