96/97 Coupe or 01/02 Coupe?

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice B/W 96/97 Coupe, but the ABS thing has my other half worried.

Normally I wouldn't mind, but she was nice enough to let me take some money from our swimming pool fund. :D

Are there any advantages to the 01/02 Coupe other than the ABS, and maybe 10HP in the ACR? The '06 Coupe is a little out of our price range, and I don't think it's styling holds up compared to a GTS.

Jon

funky977

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,

I have been researching the '01s and '02s for sometime. I started out wanting a '96 or '97, but changed my mind after speaking to some of the members. I was also concerned about ABS, but what made the biggest difference for me was the warranty. With the '01 or '02 you have a better chance in getting an extended warranty or even the original that you could get the extended. I don't have the money to spend on replacement parts if something were to wrong. In the end it's personal preference. The blue and white looks great, but so does the red and white on the FE that I have been looking for.
Just my $.02.

Matt

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, the Red/Silver does look awesome Matt.
BTW, I did a search, and found a lot of ABS opinions either way. So before I get flamed, NEVERMIND about the question!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had my 98 I would join the chorus of other pre ABS owners with the pat.....We don't need no stinking ABS!
Now that I have the 02.......I am glad I have it.

Then there is the lumpy cam / forged pistons issue........

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 97 GTS and an 01 GTS. They are both great cars. The 97 is much more fun to drive due to its rough idle and even feels more responsive than my 01. If it wasn't for the bumble bee color combo, my 01 would be sold and I would have a 99 R/T 10.

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96' has such an awesome feel to it. There is definately a difference in the lope at idle. I think that you should be more concerned with the cam and piston issue, especially if you decide to do any upgrades to the engine such as forced induction. And a B/W is by far the best color!

PonyFiveO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi JON!

I didnt know you were into Vipers :) Looks like you got tired of going fast only on the water! My Viper that you saw the pic of was a 99. I too share the same worry as your other half. If it had ABS I think I would have kept it. I was kind of afraid of going WAAAY too fast because of the possibility of losing control of my Snake due to a panic skid. Which was why I always drove it around like a grandma :( Now I am looking for a 01 or 02 to fill the empty void. If you can do without the ABS there are some pretty decent deals on 96-99's. Let me know if I can help in anyway! Catcha later!

Fraser

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte